IGNORED

Jaguar (and Lynx) Future Purchasing Survey

justclaws

Jaguar (and Lynx) Future Purchasing Survey  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy a new Jaguar game on cartridge?

• Yes - whatever it is, I am a collector!
    • Maybe - but only if it's an unreleased Atari era game.
    • Maybe - providing it's a proper game!
    • Maybe - but only as a download IF I had a Flash ROM etc..
    • No
    • No, I'd rather wait for some way to pirate it.
    • No, I DO NOT OWN a Jaguar console.
  2. 2. Will you buy a new Jaguar game on CD?

• Maybe - but only as a download to burn to CD-R.
    • Maybe - I only pay for good shareware.
    • No
    • No, I DO NOT OWN a Jag-CD.
  3. 3. Will you buy a new LYNX home-brew game?

• Maybe - and play it on an existing emulator.
    • No
    • No, I DO NOT OWN a LYNX.
  4. 4. Do you care about a box and manual for new games?

• Yes, as a collector, it's part of the future value.
    • Yes, it's part of the new game experience!
    • No, but I might print them myself at no cost.
    • No
    • No, I NEVER KEEP my game packaging.
  5. 5. Will you buy the JagCF if you can?

• Yes - for new features and home-brew games.
    • Yes - but only if it loads Jaguar ROM images.
    • Yes - I'll buy it like a development kit.
    • Maybe - it depends on price / features / games.
    • Maybe - I already own an Alpine/Flash ROM.
    • No
    • No, I am against such H/W on principal.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Please answer honestly.

This is NOT JUST about the JagCF, it's an update to a previous poll, but times change.

I am also a home-brew author myself intending to release shareware and freeware.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

EDIT: Added more maybe options.

Edited by justclaws

Hi Brian,

Couldn't vote.*

I don't know what a JagCF is. ???

The JagCF is a piece of as yet unreleased home-brew hardware created by a French Jaguar fan,

which has been the source of some controversy. It was originally conceived as a method to let

future games which would require a (now expensive / hard to obtain JagCD unit) be distributed

on Compact Flash or download, but later added features include 8MB RAM, keyboard and mouse

ports, a USB port for fast file transfers without needing BJL, for development, and even a new

processor (idle by default) which could conceivably be used in some future home-brew games.

The "CF" part of the name refers to the facility to read/write to Compact Flash memory cards,

often used by Digital Cameras. CF cards are cheap/high capacity and appear like a disk drive.

It's been the subject of controversy due to some home-brew developers fearing it would allow

the use of pirate copies of future / existing commercial games, but the developer says it won't.

*** If I've got this description wrong in any way, can SCPCD the developer please correct me.

* Seems you have to answer every question for the votes to be counted. Leave one unanswered, and it won't go through.

Perhaps the best reply for you would be "Maybe - it depends on price / features / games",

unless you would not buy any hardware accessory in order to play any future Jag games?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Edited by justclaws

Brian: JagCF is Jaguar Compact Flash. Check out www.jagware.org for details. :)

Justclaws, good idea to do such a poll. Another idea, regarding additional polls might be to ask for what kind of games.

That was the aspect I was missing in this poll. I voted that I would buy every proper game Cart/CD/CF. Which means, every game that I am really looking forward to. However I think to a developer that answer is not enough.

What do the voters consider a "proper" game? That's just a matter of taste.

Personally I prefer games that give me a new experience, a game with good ideas, and if possible a decent story that motivates me to play the game.

I think the Jaguar needs more games like that.

While I'm sure there are many retro fans on the Jaguar, personally I have played so many variations of retro games and remakes, that they just don't excite me long enough anymore. Same is true for typical puzzle games. Although I'm not saying that I wouldn't like a puzzle game, if somebody comes up with something new, innovative and fun.

However I really want to see more new games with good level design, good storytelling, innovative game design or some other exciting new aspects on the Jag.

That's the way I am going with my games from now on, remakes or retro games simply don't excite me anymore.

I hope others will do the same at some point :)

I also voted that I would buy JagCF for the new games, but of course also for dev in my case. ;)

Regards, Lars.

I'll definitely buy Lynx and Jag (cart and CD) releases if they're good stuff! :cool:

I do like boxes/manuals as well, but understand that they're not always possible. I'd love to get a JagCF for new releases/features. However if I can't load my existing games on it, I'll probably wait and see what happens with it, as I really would like to enjoy that convenience on the Jag that I currently enjoy on my other systems/multicarts. I also already own a Flash/Alpine.

Edited by remowilliams

... but the developer says it won't.

My understanding is that when asked whether or not the JagCF will support downloads of legacy cart software, the developers have not answered the question.

you should have miss this :

Upon Belboz' suggestion, I'm reposting a recap of Jagware's current "official" position on this matter :
Has any decision been made yet on what if any protection will be implemented?
Let's recap. (I won't discuss the case of new JagCF games : optional protection will be available to developers, this was planned from the start).

In the past I have been of the approach to allow it to run ROM titles, but put protections in to not allow titles like BS, and BSG, Songbird stuff (basically all the post Atari commercial stuff).
Given the "quake" this feature seems to generate in the community, we feel it's more prudent to do the reverse, at least at first : only allow "no-controversy" (protos, public domain, etc.) ROMs to run.

We did investigate a "strong" hardware-based protection method, but it turned out to be too complex to implement.

What we're planning now : the ROM-running feature will be disabled by default, and enabling will only be possible through an undocumented hardware protocol. This protocol will be released only to trusted developers on a need-to-know basis.

Then publish an official guaranteed detection technique to allow developers to detect and not run their code on the CF.
We think it's wiser NOT to give a single, public and "official" detection technique, because it would be more likely to be broken. In fact, there are tons of different ways of detecting the presence of the JagCF, and we feel more comfortable letting each programmer design their own protection (it's possible to do so using the information in the developer documentation we'll release publicly). We will help any developer if they request assistance from us. And yes, that means even Thunderbird or Gorf if they ask for it.

Hope this answers your question.

vote

- new Jaguar game on cartridge? Maybe - providing it's a proper game!

- new Jaguar game on CD? No, I DO NOT OWN a Jag-CD.

- buy the JagCF if you can? Yes - I'll buy it like a development kit.

What we're planning now : the ROM-running feature will be disabled by default, and enabling will only be possible through an undocumented hardware protocol. This protocol will be released only to trusted developers on a need-to-know basis.

That sounds like the JagCF will support ROM downloads if you know the 'secret' protocol - which isn't likely to stay 'secret' for long... :|

I have just left my votes, a lot of "maybe" votes as it obviously depend on whether or not the released software appeals to me.

Personally I would like to see a box and instructions as the box keeps the Cartridge/CD clean of dust and dirt and a manual is necessary for a more complicated games that uses a lot of buttons/button combinations.

I'll buy new games if they are good. I'm not buying any piece of trash you guys program. I've always had confidence when buying the Songbird games, but pure homebrew titles without proper reference that are totally new, without being able to demo are a hard sell.

Yes, that's why i think we must give a demo (For example one level) of a game, you can try if the game will be good for you. That's another advantage from the JagCF, piss easy to run a demo without any mod of your Jag.

GT poulpe.gif

I think a good distribution scheme would be (at least for the games I am involved in):

- binary file freely available, people pay what they want (a bit like Radiohead last album)

- a more luxurious CF version with a box/manual is sold at a fixed (low) price.

I'll buy new games if they are good. I'm not buying any piece of trash you guys program. I've always had confidence when buying the Songbird games, but pure homebrew titles without proper reference that are totally new, without being able to demo are a hard sell.

Yes, that's why i think we must give a demo (For example one level) of a game, you can try if the game will be good for you. That's another advantage from the JagCF, piss easy to run a demo without any mod of your Jag.

GT poulpe.gif

BJL CD offers the same thing.

right but you need a cd player ;)

Jugs too no ?

in one way or another you must need something else

Well right now NO ONE has a CF, so for now its the CD that's available.

You HAVE to know not everyone will buy a CF either, so I still

dont see the difference.

Edited by Gorf

Jugs too no ?

dont see the difference.

don't be so aggressive

takes your pills

Jugs too no ?

dont see the difference.

The difference is at the level of potential availability and price

(you know, it is an argument against the JagCF by the way ;))

Edited by SebRmv

The difference is at the level of potential availability and price

Well it aint priced or available is it yet?

(you know, it is an argument against the JagCF by the way ;))

And no its just letting anyone wanting to know that there are alternate dev methods

available right now that also do not involve modification to the Jag. They could

also get Carl's Protector SE and do the same. CF may very well do it better but it

aint available yet. I was not picking on the CF.

Jugs too no ?

dont see the difference.

don't be so aggressive

takes your pills

Dont be so inaccurate.

I was not being aggresive and I dont take any pills. Maybe you should?

BTW, I just want to say your tag line is about as pointless as some your other statements.

is it FALSE ?

Not at all but I do not see the point of it. What I think you are infering is that my copy of ROMs I actually own

are the same as dl'ing roms of software I dont own. If that is the case then it is a false and pointless inference.