IGNORED

7800 b*nQ Label Contest - Winner Selected!

Albert

November 21st, 2007 - Winner Selected!

With all the wonderful entries submitted for the b*nQ Label Contest, it was no easy task for author Ken Siders to select just a single entry to grace the b*nQ cartridge and manual. But after much deliberation, Ken came to a decision and selected Darrin Rose's third submission as the winning entry. For his winning label design, Darrin Rose will receive a $50 gift certificate in the AtariAge Store, as well as a copy of b*nQ once it is availalbe for purchase.

Congratulations to Darrin Rose and to all the participants who took the time to enter the contest and show off their talents! You can view all 45 submissions here.

Darrin Rose's winning entry:

bonQ_DarrinRose_front_3.jpg

------

bonq.pngKen Siders has been hard at work creating his next Atari 7800 homebrew masterpiece: b*nQ! Fans of the classic arcade game Q*bert will immediately recognize the origins of b*nQ, and Ken has done an amazing job of bringing it to life on the 7800. If only more games of this caliber were released for the 7800 "back in the day", the system may have had a longer shelf life! This is Ken's second release for the Atari 7800--his first, Beef Drop, is a dead-on port of the popular arcade game Burgertime and has been very popular with 7800 fans.

AtariAge and Ken Siders are sponsoring a contest to create original artwork for b*nQ. This label artwork will appear on all copies of b*nQ, which will be released at the beginning of December in the AtariAge Store. This artwork will also be featured on the cover of the manual created for b*nQ. The existence of b*nQ was revealed on April 1st, 2005 as an April Fool's joke to make people believe a long-lost Q*bert prototype had been discovered for the 7800. Two days later we revealed that this was in fact a new homebrew game being written by Ken Siders, who had already made significant progress on the game at that point. The contest winner will receive a free copy of the game upon its release, as well as a $50 gift certificate for the AtariAge Store.

The b*nQ Label Contest Contest ends at 11:59pm (EST), Sunday, November 4th, 2007. Enter Today!

Will this game be a complete version of Q*Bert? I'd read earlier that it would only have the colored globes falling from above; if this is the case, then it sounds like a mid-1980s computer clone called "Q*Bopper."

I would hope that it is a complete version. I purchased a 7800 in 1988, and always felt that Atari (under the Tramiels) never really even bothered to try.

Will this game be a complete version of Q*Bert? I'd read earlier that it would only have the colored globes falling from above; if this is the case, then it sounds like a mid-1980s computer clone called "Q*Bopper."

You did look at the contest page, which talks a bit about the game, right? :)

Edited by skunkworx

can you post a sample of the 7800 cart's front and side labels? just so we know how to create labels for it?

I tried last time, but it never "came up," even after waiting...and waiting...

You have to remember that the computers I use often cannot do much very quickly, and I only have limited time here. Probably the same reason I can't get most emulators running, either.

From your comment, though, I take it that this IS a complete version? If only the CV version had looked as good as the sequel did- that was 7800 or even NES-level graphics!

Ken, is your game still going to make use of the AtariVox / SaveKey ?

It's just that I don't see anything on the contest page about adding Nathan's AVox logo to the design and I still have your memory space allocated.

I really hope to support saving/loading high scores to/from the savekey or AVox. I had some stuff coded for a while but haven't had any chance to test with it (since I can't test that on an emulator it makes for a longer test cycle). I figure if I am able to implement it, we can probably work that into the winning label design somehow.

Ken, is your game still going to make use of the AtariVox / SaveKey ?

It's just that I don't see anything on the contest page about adding Nathan's AVox logo to the design and I still have your memory space allocated.

I really hope to support saving/loading high scores to/from the savekey or AVox. I had some stuff coded for a while but haven't had any chance to test with it (since I can't test that on an emulator it makes for a longer test cycle). I figure if I am able to implement it, we can probably work that into the winning label design somehow.

I tested a version of qbert that had save support and it works perfect with my save key.

http://www.atariage.com/features/contests/bonQ/

It says "We will post submissions publicly on this page as we receive them. The contest may also be discussed in our Contests Forum."

the link goes to Elevators Amiss though.

Not directly related, but it looks like a number of submissions for Medieval Mayhem have gone missing...

I have posted the first wave of label submissions to the contest page, and you may view them here (click on the image for a larger view, as well as the end label):

http://www.atariage.com/features/contests/...tml#Submissions

I have also extended the contest a week with a new deadline of 11:59pm on November 4th.

These are great submissions so far and I can't wait to see what's yet to come! Thanks to everyone who's sent entries in so far. :)

..Al

Wow, some really great entries so far. I love the vibe happening in Renato Brito's entries. Simple, graphic, and it treats the character in a different, uncopyrighted, un-sue-able kind of way that's very appropriate to the cubist look of the game. I think that's one of the challenges of this game, to come up with something different. Next to Pac-Man and Mario, Q*Bert is one of the most recognizeable classic gaming characters and everyone expects him to look a certain way. And while Renato's characters are reminiscent of that look, they're different enough and the whole label style helps explain that difference.