IGNORED

Want to play 2600 through stero amp.

General Atarian

The easiest way to do it is to use a vcr as your tv tuner then just connect the audio out from the vcr to your stereo's aux or video input.

The way you suggested would work, but the sound would be lousy. If your

vcr is a hi-fi vcr you will enjoy playing atari in true stero bliss. 8)

Your problem will be an impedance mis-match. This can result in major distorion and noise. To try and compensate without buying additonal equipment, set the TV's volume level as low as possible(while still being audible) when the headphone jack is plugged into your stereo system. It will probably still sound like crap.

A better idea is to run the Atari's RF signal into a VCR and then run the VCR's line-level output into your stereo's Aux or Tape input. This should provide as clean a signl as possible outside of moding the 2600.

Maybe a custom 2600 with balanced XLR or AES/EBU output....Hmmmm

I love recording the sound from my emulators into Logic Audio through Sound Manager on the Mac. The signal never becomes analog on it's journey into Logic so when the Atari makes a square wave, it is recorded as a PERFECT square wave. Excellent source for raw sample material as well.

My TV has audio outs in the back of it. I run a cord from the TV to my stereo and can thus get stereo-esque effects for all of my gaming systems. I'd have to think that thios would be the easiest method if your TV supports it.

You should hear my emulated 2600 coming out of my MindPrint 24-bit converter. A 2600 with a signal to noise ratio of 110db!

My fantasy 2600 mod would have 24-bit AES-EBU audio output with DVI and component video out, or Apples ADC video out for direct connection to a 23-inch cinema display. Tres sweet!

The sound is a LOT more crisp if you modify your Atari with an audio out.  Doing just the audio part of an A/V mod is pretty easy.

Make it 2 channel "stereo" sound out and you can hear Turmoil in Stereo! .. Battlezone and Robot Tank are awesome with sound through an amp!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA