IGNORED

Midimate

atari8warez

OH!

Now I see. You guys are talking about "Networking Computers via MIDI", not "MIDI Networking" in the traditional sense of the term.

Now what Raster was saying makes sense. In this case, you can actually have more than 16 computers on the same network, my guess is that the others could be used as display stations, because they would replay anything that was coming over their MIDI channel (you can do this with synths, too, to create deeply textured layering of sounds).

You should also be aware that you can use MIDI with Ethernet / TCP/IP nowadays, as well as with several other new interfaces, such as Firewire.

Is the source code available for MIDI Maze?

When will the MIDIMATE be incorporated into the Atari800WinPlus emulator by some kind soul?

= )

As for the above post, well Mathy, I'm sure that you're just being modest. However, I must say that I physically cringed at the thought of HOLDING the wrong end of a soldering iron!

= )

L8R.

Yeah, sure... So you are saying that apples are blue & orange trees grow in Alaska.

No, I never said anything like this. :P

OH! Now I see. You guys are talking about "Networking Computers via MIDI", not "MIDI Networking" in the traditional sense of the term. Now what Raster was saying makes sense.

Exactly. ;)

btw - I think I know a little about MIDI. I was programming/using MIDI software for 8bit Atari in 1995 already ( MIDI Pattern Editor ). :)

Exactly. icon_wink.gif

btw - I think I know a little about MIDI. I was programming/using MIDI software for 8bit Atari in 1995 already ( MIDI Pattern Editor ). icon_smile.gif

Ah, yes, something, something, words, words, something, externí MIDI zaøízení, které je pøes jednoduchý interface pøipojeno ke standardnímu 8-bitovému Atari something words something something.

= )

Ha. Yeah, I just wanted to clarify about MIDI networks, so that no one building the device was misinformed about the nature of MIDI.

While the THRU port may or may not work with MIDI Maze, it should be there, to make everyone's life easier, if they want to to hook Ataris into their existing MIDI network of synthesizers.

I have 32 nodes on two ports in my studio, many of which are vintage analog rack synths, including the Roland Super Jupiter & MPG-80. Then there are 5 keyboards, drum machines, and various other MIDI devices & controllers. I would be very enthused to add some Ataris into my existing system, so I am rather interested in the MIDIMATE Project. I just don't want it to be another Atari 410 Program Recorder (last device, or your money back). ha,

I'm in the process of writing some synthesis software for the A8, it will have many of the features seen in the Sonix Synth Panel on the Amiga, and some other neat stuff from the Fairlight... lightpen & all. ...but shhh... that's a secret.

= )

So, Ahem, now that we know that we're not crackpots... (2xHa), I suppose that we can resume the normally scheduled broadcast.

= )

Best of luck on the Project!

Ha. Yeah, I just wanted to clarify about MIDI networks, so that no one building the device was misinformed about the nature of MIDI.

While the THRU port may or may not work with MIDI Maze, it should be there, to make everyone's life easier, if they want to to hook Ataris into their existing MIDI network of synthesizers.

Yes, in general, MIDI THRU port is good thing. You're right. :thumbsup:

I'm in the process of writing some synthesis software for the A8, it will have many of the features seen in the Sonix Synth Panel on the Amiga, and some other neat stuff from the Fairlight... lightpen & all. ...but shhh... that's a secret.
Woooooooow. That's great! :cool:

So, Ahem, now that we know that we're not crackpots... (2xHa), I suppose that we can resume the normally scheduled broadcast.
For sure! :)

What I know it is possible to connect whole network of 16 machines, ST, Amiga, 8bit together.

What are the other 2 connectors. I know there are 2 DIN with 5 pins, but what are the others? What thay are good for?

They're for synching with a tape recorder, any musicians here by the way?

Electronic Musician chiming in here... The audio ports or 1/4 jacks were definitely used for tape sync, most likely FSK which is a poor man's SMPTE. I remember using a FSK tone generator to stripe track 4 of all my Yamaha 4 track tapes and feeding it to an Alesis MMT-8. The downside of FSK is it does not have a constant clock so you need to completely rewind the tape to the beginning for it to sync up right, a huge pain in the ass for punch ins.

Given the cost back then of a smpte generator, this most likely had a simple fsk generator built in or was passive to allow it to sync to midi from any snyc tone. My bet though is on a built in FSK capability.

Back in the day I had the MMT-8 which was amazing for the price but then I upgraded to a Mac Plus. I never did get an Atari ST, they were too expensive and the Mac plus I got as a hand me down so it didn't cost anything. I had a MIDI interface and ran Performer software.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not an electronics engineer, although I do know which side of a soldering iron I should hold.

Just read this post while browsing the forums... Hi again, Mathy. Well, if you recall, I *am* an electronics engineer, and I can tell you it's no guarantee against that. I can also tell you that it's the smell of burnt flesh that gives away that you had the wrong side... (happened when I reached out for it without looking and held it like a pen)

• 3 years later...

HardwareDoc built some Midimates (V2.0 - I don't know the differences to original version) and brought them to Fujiama Party and sold them there.

After counting our Hardware (every Computer needs 1 SIO cable, 1 MIDI cable and 1 MIDImate) we were able to build a MIDI network with 8 XL and XE computers in it. The network was build with one original MIDI mate and 7 Rebuilds V2. We played MIDImaze and it was really funny! We used ROM images of MIDImaze flashed on BigBen's FlashCart or the Fileversion from Fandal, both worked fine.

HPIM3703.JPG

Three of us eight playing midimaze in a midi network. I wanted to have a photo of all eight players but I was too busy while playing, so I could not concern about photos :D .

HPIM3703.JPG

Three of us eight playing midimaze in a midi network. I wanted to have a photo of all eight players but I was too busy while playing, so I could not concern about photos :D .

Well, it's a great photograph anyhow - depicting my vintage laptop (a T23, for whom it may concern - also makes a great surface to solder Midimates on when closed) and my glass of mead.

FYI: the players are me (front), Bunsen (background) and skr (right side, with a bag of rolls or something similar)

Eight blocks?

What does this mean? The MIDI cable has DIN 5-pin plugs on each side.

Quick search (I live in europe and I'm not familiar with US shops)

http://www.amazon.co...12828310&sr=8-7

8 City blocks, Fres lives near me, I was making a joke that we couldn't run cable from my house to his.

Any chance anyone will be bringing these to any US shows? Or selling them to us Yanks so we can display them? :)

You can ask HardwareDoc if he would send it to you. His homepage: http://www.abbuc.de/~hardwaredoc/projekte/hardware/midi/index.html

He is also reader of this forum. His nick is HARdwareDoc-ATARI http://www.atariage.com/forums/user/15679-hardwaredoc-atari/

You can send him a personal message. Also you can contact him via personal message on ABBUC.de forum.

Eight blocks?

8 City blocks, Fres lives near me, I was making a joke that we couldn't run cable from my house to his.

Ouch,

I missed the point.

Eight blocks?

Ouch,

I missed the point.

;-)

That's ok, some things get lost in translation!

Hello guys

For those thinking: "Ah. 5 pin DIN, I should be able to find those." There are different versions of the 5 pin DIN plugs. The plug MIDI uses is not the same as the plug Atari uses for it's monitor port. The pins are placed in a more narrow angle on the MIDI port as compared to the monitor port.

BTW HARdwareDoc's MidiMate has IN, OUT and THRU.

CU

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

We could have had 2 more computers connected, but I wanted to test the Xl-ST connection which down´t allow to chat, so I stayed off of the "big" game and captured this (too long) Video which shows that you can play it with 8 and 16 Bit computers:

http://skriegel.de/atari/Midimaze.mp4

It´s only iPhone-Video, but should be good enough to proof that it works. :-)

We could have had 2 more computers connected, but I wanted to test the Xl-ST connection which down´t allow to chat, so I stayed off of the "big" game and captured this (too long) Video which shows that you can play it with 8 and 16 Bit computers:

http://skriegel.de/atari/Midimaze.mp4

It´s only iPhone-Video, but should be good enough to proof that it works. :-)

Awesome - I wish we could have big gatherings like this here, but we are all spread so far apart.

Hello Stephen

It's HARdwareDoc's BIOS4Config. It let's you select 1 out of 16 OS's (not included) , mono or stereo (if you have a dual POKEY upgrade) and more nice stuff. Check out his site. It's in German, but has a Google Translate option built in. (The site that is, not the BIOS4Config :D )

CU

Mathy

Hello guys

For those thinking: "Ah. 5 pin DIN, I should be able to find those." There are different versions of the 5 pin DIN plugs. The plug MIDI uses is not the same as the plug Atari uses for it's monitor port. The pins are placed in a more narrow angle on the MIDI port as compared to the monitor port.

BTW HARdwareDoc's MidiMate has IN, OUT and THRU.

CU

Mathy

Pretty odd you say this, since my MIDI keyboard has EXACTLY the same (female) plug as the video port on the XL, and I could stick in the plugs from my 2-bit systems MIDI interface in there easily. That one also lacks the MIDI-thru though.