IGNORED

Question on fixing a Jag's blown U38

spiffyone

i have been considering for some time an idea of using diodes and and maybe a regulator to deal with any accidental miss used power supply to just make the jaguar work, i have not done any work or tests on this as yet however

That seems like it would take way more time than just keeping a Jaguar power supply around and making sure you only use that PS on your Jag.

• 3 weeks later...

It's most probably fine. Those old power supplies are unregulated; the no-load voltage (the one you measure using a multimeter without anything else connected) is typically quite a bit higher than the voltage at the rated current (which is the one printed on the sticker) ; a no-load voltage of 12.5V for a 9V-rated supply isn't unheard of. In any case, it won't damage your Jaguar -- there is a large built-in safety margin.

• 2 weeks later...

My Jaguar is partially fixed!

I bought parts at Console5.com. Terrific transaction.

I ordered the U38, and the Cap kit.

I have an excellent picture, but no sound (yep, hit Zero). Some more reading leads me to believe REG1 also got fried. The chip is $.33. I recommend you order this with your U38.