IGNORED

PLEASE HELP WITH TOS CHIP PLACEMENT

mons2b

Hi fellow atari users.

I have six tos chips to put into a 520 STFM but I dont know where to put each chip. I tried several combinations going by the number on the chips but I keep getting a red screen of death on the Atari monitor.

These are factory chips can anyone tell me where to put each of the six chips in the six sockets or load a high res photo so I can see where they go?

This particular ST has the six tos chips sockets under the power supply.

Hi fellow atari users.

I have six tos chips to put into a 520 STFM but I dont know where to put each chip. I tried several combinations going by the number on the chips but I keep getting a red screen of death on the Atari monitor.

These are factory chips can anyone tell me where to put each of the six chips in the six sockets or load a high res photo so I can see where they go?

Don't have time to do the leg work for you but if you goto groups.google.com and do a search the relevant info will be easily found. Do a search for the socket numbers, I think its U and a number for the 6 sockets.

Edited by tjlazer

Hi thank you for your reply. I went to google groups. But doing a search for U6 or similar just brings up random rubbish... Do you know a specific search I should do or a a hint that will get me closer? :-)

Try this: "Atari 520ST TOS U6"

7th Article down should be the one you want!

Edited by tjlazer

Hi thank you for your reply. I went to google groups. But doing a search for U6 or similar just brings up random rubbish... Do you know a specific search I should do or a a hint that will get me closer? :-)

Try this: "Atari 520ST TOS U6"

7th Article down should be the one you want!

Hi nothing there that applies to my chip numbers which dont seem to be the common ones. If anyone know what order to put the below chips into ill be hugely grateful. U-2 to U-4, U-5 to U-7

1] CO26160-001 / RP23256 - 0150

2] CO26163-001 / RP23256 - 0153

3] CO26244-001 / RP23256 - 0156

4] CO26245-001 / RP23256 - 0157

5] CO26246-001 / RP23256 - 0158

6] CO26247-001 / RP23256 - 0159

It's clearly explained on the 6th link if you search on google groups:

------ +-----------+ <== PIN 1

| U2 | C026160 <| +-----------------------+

| +-----------+ | CPU |

| +-----------+ |_______________________|

| U3 | C026161 <|

| +-----------+

| +-----------+

| U4 | C026162 <| <== NOTCH

| +-----------+

| +-----------+

| U5 | C026163 <| NOTE: Be sure to orient ROMS with notch

| +-----------+ as shown. Lettering on ROM may

| +-----------+ be inverted.

| U6 | C026164 <|

| +-----------+

| +-----------+

| U7 | C026165 <|

| +-----------+

| ======= =======

|_________________________________________

Remember people, Google filters/sorts results based on past search histories.

You can't say things like 6th or 7th link down. Won't appear like that to them, unless they just so happen to have conducted the exact same searchs as you for the past several months.

You can't say things like 6th or 7th link down. Won't appear like that to them, unless they just so happen to have conducted the exact same searchs as you for the past several months.

Well I disagree. I just did the search again and it is the 7th link. Explain that?

Edited by tjlazer

Well I disagree. I just did the search again and it is the 7th link. Explain that?

How does you doing the search again prove anything? That's where it was for you before, that's where it will be tomorrow. YOUR search history and patterns are already established. Try it on someone elses computer that you have never used, that is used by someone else with different interests who has never searched for anything you ever have, and you'll see the results vary.

For example, my searching for "Atari 520ST TOS U6" in the main search only gives ONE link, and searching under Google Groups gives only FIVE. No mythical 7th link that you speak of here.

This is not some personal "opinion" of mine, it's been a known fact of how Google works for years. Google learns ones search habits and orders/filters accordingly. It's even worse if you use the personalized search.

My point behind all this being, instead of telling someone "7th link down" which does no one else but you any good, it would be better to cut & paste the link you found/are refering to.

How does you doing the search again prove anything? That's where it was for you before, that's where it will be tomorrow. YOUR search history and patterns are already established. Try it on someone elses computer that you have never used, that is used by someone else with different interests who has never searched for anything you ever have, and you'll see the results vary.

For example, my searching for "Atari 520ST TOS U6" in the main search only gives ONE link, and searching under Google Groups gives only FIVE. No mythical 7th link that you speak of here.

This is not some personal "opinion" of mine, it's been a known fact of how Google works for years. Google learns ones search habits and orders/filters accordingly. It's even worse if you use the personalized search.

My point behind all this being, instead of telling someone "7th link down" which does no one else but you any good, it would be better to cut & paste the link you found/are refering to.

Try the search without the quotes. :)

Mitch

There are only 2 chips listed below that are together and thats the first 2(1 & 2).So you have 2 of one set and 4 from another set.

1] CO26160-001 / RP23256 - 0150 this would go into U2

2] CO26163-001 / RP23256 - 0153 this would go into U5

These others must be German language chips , Ive never seen the numbers before. A USA version of the chips would be C101644 - C101649 and that would make it TOS 1.2

3] CO26244-001 / RP23256 - 0156

4] CO26245-001 / RP23256 - 0157

5] CO26246-001 / RP23256 - 0158

6] CO26247-001 / RP23256 - 0159

AO

They are the chips that were in the ST when it was last working.

John

Well you could put the last 4 chips in the right order and experiment with the first two. Remember if you orient them correctly you will not damage anything. (notch)

They are the chips that were in the ST when it was last working.

John

Well you could put the last 4 chips in the right order and experiment with the first two. Remember if you orient them correctly you will not damage anything. (notch)

going by the previous information no one knows anything about the last four chips not the first two which people identify as US TOS. The last four are mystery chips? lol. Oh well.

going by the previous information no one knows anything about the last four chips not the first two which people identify as US TOS. The last four are mystery chips? lol. Oh well.

I remember that had in German TOS equipped 520ST 6 chips, which had last cyphers from 2 to 7. Of course they were placed in order in ROM sockets. It means, that if I'd need to put them back now, I'd had only 2 options - increasing or decreasing order (from up to down). That's all what I can say as concrete technical advice.

Very likely that chips aren't from same set, machine.

After all, you may start with permutations, and prove who is in right:

count of combinations 6x5x4x3x2 = 720 . Do some 100 per day, and you will know it in 1 week.

In reality much less - keep order by 'German chips' .

Or to download ROM what you like and programm it in 6 (or 2 chips if MBO supports it).

Latest garantees 100% success.

Edited by ppera

Hi fellow atari users.

Below is a picture of my 520STfm's six TOS chips. The left side of the image is the back of the computer. The bottom of the image is the left-side of the computer. I hope this helps you.

toschips.jpg

Hi fellow atari users.

Below is a picture of my 520STfm's six TOS chips. The left side of the image is the back of the computer. The bottom of the image is the left-side of the computer. I hope this helps you.

toschips.jpg

This is my current placings of the chips (note one is strangely more black and shiny). It doesnt work. Prehaps with all my tries they are now paper weights. Anyone want to sell me some old tos chips? lol. Thanks for your help guys.

post-12084-1192602867_thumb.jpg

Hi fellow atari users.

toschips.jpg

This is my current placings of the chips (note one is strangely more black and shiny). It doesnt work. Prehaps with all my tries they are now paper weights. Anyone want to sell me some old tos chips? lol. Thanks for your help guys.

post-12084-1192602867_thumb.jpg

I could burn you a 6-chip TOS 1.4 set rather easily... say $15 + $2.50 shipped? Where are you located? Email me at bripilot at gmail dot com and we'll get you set up. =)

Ok I think I know what you need to do, do this:

-Remove the chip you have in U5: C026163 and place it in U3

-Take the chip from U3 C026244 and place it in U4

-Take the chip from U4 C026245 and place it in U5

-Place chip from U5 C026163 in U3.

So all the chips are in order from U2 to U7.

Report back...