IGNORED

Missing Mario sprites

TheBman80

Maybe someone in here can help I have been looking all over to the solution to this problem so far I have only came up with a RAM issue on the Video portion of the Mario board or a -5v issue. Checked my voltages today in my widebody and I have perfect -5v and all the other voltages are good as well +5v is like 4.9v and the 12V is like 11.9v so I think I can rule out any voltage issues. Basically the game totally works coins up plays got into test mode all ROM's check out ok in self test. Now if there is bad RAM on the video board could anyone narrow down the area that might be at fault on the side of the PCB? I have no Idea which chips are the RAM chips so even that information alone could help. I haven't got a logic probe so I can already say that option is out also have no idea how to use one. Is the RAM for this game expensive? I could just use the shotgun approach and start pulling and socketing chips until I find a bad one. Then just put the old chips back in if they work and do that one by one till I get a result but I would really like to get some ideas before I mess with that. So far I haven't been able to get very much help on this at all from anyone.

I'd start by tracing down which chips are my graphic roms. Clean and reseat all of them. Check for cold solder joints or broken socket legs with a voltmeter and use some good contact cleaner so you can ensure good contact. Make sure they appear to exert pressure on the legs when installed.

From there, you could figure out which chip is Mario's graphics. I would imagine the rom is not masked, ie you could burn (or get a burned) a new one for it and go from there. Not spent too much time on the Nintendo stuff (other than those #@$%#$ monitors...first time I ever got cooked by high voltage was a Punch Out, ironic) so I could not tell you how their check feature works. Have you searched over on RGVAC for clues? There are some seriously smart folks on that board. Of course the folks round here are smarter :)

C

Yeah I did check over there searched just about put every different combo of Mario graphics issue I could think of I did find like 2 posts that had the same exact issue but neither had any responses and I think they were really old. So far I have resolder every Eprom chip socket on the PCB and hit a bunch of questionable solders on the PCB it did seem to run a little better like on boot up but really I think it was minimal at best. Sorry should have mentioned I did that before.

Edited by TheBman80