IGNORED

Knowing the mods you know right now...(new 5200)

ckrtech

So with all the information that we know about modding the Atari 5200, what would you do if you started a new 5200 Frankenstein today?

I do not own an Atari 5200. I want to own one. I have good skills with a soldering iron and have done some A/V mods on other systems. As far as I can tell, the first decision to make is: 4 port or 2 port? Ebay seems to be my only good source at this point. I am open to other recommendations.

Those of you that have done mods on these systems - Is there anything you wished you had done differently after you modded your 5200? Perhaps that was your "first 5200 mod," and you have done more 5200 mods since then.

I would like to do an S-Video, audio, and power mod. It looks like more modding is involved on a 4 switch if I want to be able to use the adapter to play 2600 games. Not too sure about the details on that yet. Seems like a 4 port would be "cooler" because....it's a 4 port.

Anyway - the main question here is: What should the ultimate modded 5200 system include nowadays? I get this feeling I am sitting between a couple of A/V solutions - 8bitdomain has had some available for a while, but Longhorn Engineer seems to have his own ideas coming to life.

You pretty much summed it up. You can do a power mod, an A/V mode, and a mod to allow the 4 ports to except the 2600 adapter. And you could replace the 2-port Bios with a 4-port bios so you can play the three games that don't work with it. Other than that, that's it.

What would be kind of cool is for someone to upgrade the 5200 to 64K (or more). It probably wouldn't be to hard to do. Of course you would have to probably upgrade the bios and than write a game (or convert an 8-bit game) to use the extra 48K. Redundent, yes, but fun, yes as well.

Allan

If you get a 4-port it would be wise to mod it to use an external power supply instead of it being supplied through the RF connection.

Have an internal conversion board for 2600/genesis controllers.

I don't know if the 2600 adapter works with A/V mods. I have never gotten my hands on one but I would assume it work.

Also don't forget the awesome flame decals and spinners while your at it.

Let's see... the two port system is superior for a number of reasons, but it has an Achilles' Heel... you can't play a few games on it, including the exceptional Mountain King. So if you've got to play every game made for the 5200, you'll need to buy a four port system and do a little surgery on it to fix its flaws. You're going to want to add an AC adapter jack to the system so you can plug it directly into the wall, rather than the crummy AC/RF box that comes with the four port systems.

As for 8-Bit Domain, skip 'em. I was dissatisfied with their customer service and the product itself didn't impress me much either. The wires were so short that I had to solder in bridge wires to connect the GTIA chip to the expansion port at the back of the system! Hopefully, Longhorn Engineer will have a superior product delivered within a week of purchase, rather than the month and a half typical of 8BD.

There's one mod you absolutely must do if you plan to buy an Atari 5200, and that of course is making a joystick adapter to replace the lame controllers packaged with the system. I made a PC joystick and a Wico stick adapter, and I don't know what I'd do without them!

The only thing I did to my 2-port was the s-video mod from the 5200 FAQ section. It wasn't as easy as buying a prefab mod, but since I already had all the parts it was the cheapest.

If I do come across a 4-port bios I'll probably swap it with mine so I can play Pitfall! & Mountain King if I ever get them. The bios is socketed, so I'd hardly call it a 'real' mod.

Also, I made one of THESE so I can use genesis pads/2600 sticks with it.

Well, I have a 4 port on the way. Looks like I'll be joining the 5200 club before too long.

I already know the controllers don't work, so it looks like that will be my first project. Seems somewhat fitting in a way - In order to join with the other owners of the Atari 5200, I have to fix the controllers. Initiation if you will.

You pretty much summed it up. You can do a power mod, an A/V mode, and a mod to allow the 4 ports to except the 2600 adapter. And you could replace the 2-port Bios with a 4-port bios so you can play the three games that don't work with it. Other than that, that's it.

Separate keypad made out of a 2600 keyboard controller

Stock 5200 controller -- replace all button contacts with microswitches

Controller adapters (can be add-on or internal)

1. Genesis as mentioned

2. Jaguar

3. Vectrex

3. Wavebird

Add-on a hinged 12v LCD on case for flip-up screen

Shrink everything into a 2600 JR case (Kevin Horton's project)

Graft on a 7800 system, put all I/O in parallel (my bad boy)

Plus you can always have a "highest stack that still works" competition:

5200 sitting on tapeplayer + 2600 adapter + Supercharger vs

Genesis 1 on SegaCD1 + 32X + Game Genie + Sonic&Knuckles + cart

• 3 weeks later...

Although I have yet to mod a 5200, if I had the time and supplies... I'd build a stand-up arcade unit with a gutted 4-port system inside, 21" to 26" CRT monitor and a controller board for up to 4-players. There would be a trac-ball in the middle between players 2 and 3, a numeric pad above each players sticks and the side buttons... I want to go on but it may be a bit difficult to explain but I'd like to have upright arcades for my favorite systems.

There's one mod you absolutely must do if you plan to buy an Atari 5200, and that of course is making a joystick adapter to replace the lame controllers packaged with the system. I made a PC joystick and a Wico stick adapter, and I don't know what I'd do without them!

Any Pics on your Pc joystick and did you try all games with it? I might go this way.

Nah, it's not the same pinout. You've got to make an adapter to connect PC joysticks to a 5200, but it's not too tough... all you need are some wires, a few capacitors and a bit of soldering experience. You can do it all in a couple hours; probably less if you've got a good soldering iron and you're not using your teeth and a pair of sewing scissors to strip the wires. Yeah, I kick it way old-school, homes!

The PC adapter is by far the easiest controller adapter to build for the 5200, and it gives you access to practically any PC controller made before the switch to USB. You can use a flightstick for Star Wars, a steering wheel for Pole Position, or a gamepad for Pac-Man, making the adapter EXTREMELY versatile. The Genesis adapter is the best overall for games that require digital control, but for a wide variety of games, the PC adapter is the best way to go.

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/06_04.html

MIKE5200: I don't have pictures of my adapter yet, but I'll look into it when I get home. It's basically just a black box with ports on either end. It's not sleek at all, but it gets the job done. I've tried the adapter with numerous games (although not the entire 5200 collection) and it works really well, either with a standard gamepad or those single-handed flight sticks that were really popular in the 1990's.

Edited by Jess Ragan

Nah, it's not the same pinout. You've got to make an adapter to connect PC joysticks to a 5200, but it's not too tough... all you need are some wires, a few capacitors and a bit of soldering experience. You can do it all in a couple hours; probably less if you've got a good soldering iron and you're not using your teeth and a pair of sewing scissors to strip the wires. Yeah, I kick it way old-school, homes!

The PC adapter is by far the easiest controller adapter to build for the 5200, and it gives you access to practically any PC controller made before the switch to USB. You can use a flightstick for Star Wars, a steering wheel for Pole Position, or a gamepad for Pac-Man, making the adapter EXTREMELY versatile. The Genesis adapter is the best overall for games that require digital control, but for a wide variety of games, the PC adapter is the best way to go.

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/06_04.html

Thanks a ton for the info and link. I actually wanted to connect a "PC Arcade" arcade controller to my 5200 and now I can.

If you do pop out the 2-port's BIOS for a 4-port BIOS, does this disable support for the 2600 adaptor?

If you do pop out the 2-port's BIOS for a 4-port BIOS, does this disable support for the 2600 adaptor?

No, they are two separate things.

Mitch

No, they are two separate things.

Mitch

Off topic here I suppose, but Longhorn....WOWWW!! I clicked on your link and the girlfriend and I BOTH just sat slack-jawed and drooling! She just kept repeating.. "This guy is making these HIMSELF?..and outta WOOD? thats incredibly COOL!!" lol When I saw the pic in your avatar I thought maybe it was a mock-up thing or you had made a purchase from Ben Heck. Wow..screw the PSP...I want portables of NES, SNES, and most of ALL, 2600!!!!! I know that a few folks were making portable 2600s a while back..id love to see them again...if I cant OWN one, I can OGLE, right?? :P

Mass market the portable 2600!! Can you see the ad campaign now?? "WHY spend $29.99 or HIGHER for ONE game for the PSP, DS, or GBA when you can get an entire LIBRARY of QUALITY titles for that same price with P2600!!" lol ;)

I have all sorts of systems around ranging from 2600 to NES to Genesis to what-have-you. Also, I have masses of cords, adapters, controllers, etc etc. I even have a few handhelds, maybe the screens could be "canabalized" ?

Well done sir!! If there are any parts or bits that I can send off to help you create those beauties, please let me know! :)

-Joe