IGNORED

Understanding the 1200XL

I find the AHS almost impossible to decipher in many cases, and this is one of them.

Can someone out there explain the story of the 1200XL? How is it that the Sweet 16 morphed from the 1000/1000XL into the 1200XL? Why did they remove everything from the 1000's, and then put them back into the 600XL/800XL?

I'm sure there is a story there somewhere.

Maury

I find the AHS almost impossible to decipher in many cases, and this is one of them.

Can someone out there explain the story of the 1200XL? How is it that the Sweet 16 morphed from the 1000/1000XL into the 1200XL? Why did they remove everything from the 1000's, and then put them back into the 600XL/800XL?

I'm sure there is a story there somewhere.

Maury

Sorry Maury....

Why do you feel confused? Does anyone else feel this way? Do I need to revise the content to clarify things a bit??? Let me know, I'd like to try and make sure that people fully understand the history behind the 1200XL.

Curt

Sorry Maury....

Oh, no need to appologize for my inability to read!

Why do you feel confused?

Basically because the story is broken up too much. There's little snippets here and there, but nothing that reads as a complete history. You can hunt about and find some neato facts here and there, but I get the feeling there is a tremendous amount of stuff locked up in your brain that I'm missing out on.

The 1200 story is the one I find the most interesting, yet there are only little tantalizing hints here and there of what must be a story of a little more than zero skulldrudgery.

Also I have to admit I find the constant boosterism a little grating at times, but that's just me.

I'd like to try and make sure that people fully understand the history behind the 1200XL.

Well how about we try this... I do write a lot, long historical naritives. I'd love to take a crack at this story, and have to some degree already:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/maury/other_stuff...tari_8-bit.html

Scroll down to Sweet 16 and tell me what's wrong. I'm sure lots of it is wrong because what's there is pieced together from ybits on your page and a few e-mails. I'm sure it's not the whole story, and might be completely wrong.

Maury

Hi there,

I found your text very interesting but two questions I have were left without answers:

-there are two versions of the 65xe, one with 1 port at the back and one with 2, why?

-what about the 800xe in Europe?

Romu

The 65XE was released here in the US without an expansion port to seriously cut costs, the 65XE with expansion was then introduced in Europe and did include the expansion port. If it wasn't for Atari user groups loudly voicing the need for the PBI (later changed to the ECI) to be included, the 130XE would have never have had it.

The 800XE was nothing more then a final attempt to use up excess inventories of proprietary chips (Antic, GTIA, Pokey, Sally) and the machines are actually just a mish-mosh of whatever chips were on the shelves and were prone to lockups, software incompatibilities and failures. So the 800XE's were dumped into Europe to use up what chips were remaining in inventories.

Curt