IGNORED

Bad words....

Osbo

RT.... um context?

Is it because he (Vic) has a Smurf for his avatar? Did I miss a "All Christians post here so we know who you are" post? I didn't see any religious anything in his post and his avatar is about the only thing I can tell you were getting on... I'm confused this is not just random, its kinda random and obnoxious.

Besides:

anyone that is THAT easily influenced (by the Smurfs) that they run off to be just like the bad guy and practice 'magic' they are pretty lost without the tv show.

128 -What about the playaround and other naughty games?

On topic: I don't like swearing either, a new coded filter might be either voluntary or just change the word to ... something 'cute and fuzzy' like "RABBIT" and "BUNNY" and "PUPPY DOG WITH SAD EYES" so the people doing it won't want to have those cute fuzzy words in their post....

Ok, at least I would find it amusing...

I'm more offended by improper spelling than "bad" words. When I see "loose" in place of "lose" I cringe. When I see "f*ck" or "sh*t" I think "Well, at least they spelled it right". I don't mean to come off as a spelling nazi, but seeing simple words get mangled makes me sad :(.

As for the swear words, I think of them as spice. When used sparingly, they can be effective. Use them too much, all you 'taste' are the curses and the message the poster intended becomes irrelevant.

RT.... um context?

Is it because he (Vic) has a Smurf for his avatar? Did I miss a "All Christians post here so we know who you are" post? I didn't see any religious anything in his post and his avatar is about the only thing I can tell you were getting on... I'm confused this is not just random, its kinda random and obnoxious.

:ponder:

Click and become enlightened:

Come visit VIC GEORGE'S IMAGINARIUM!!!

He'll pop up once in a while with a veiled "Jesus loves me more because I'm a good boy and it's too bad others aren't as mature and holy as I am" type of post. What I said wasn't out of the blue, but if you don't know the history, it might seem that way to you.

anyone that is THAT easily influenced (by the Smurfs) that they run off to be just like the bad guy and practice 'magic' they are pretty lost without the tv show.

Like most people, you're completely missing the point and also remember that the 'good guys' use "Satan’s tools to fight evil." Things such as magical powers, spells, wizards, witches and so on are from the "wrong side of the fence" from a Christian perspective. No one is going to run right out and start sacrificing babies because they saw cartoon characters using magic spells, but this stuff becomes acceptable and harmless in the minds of many Christians and it sets them up to slowly accept other things that the Bible warns against. The evil seeps in like a slow leak:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Christianity-Ch...help-please.htm

Satan will trick people into thinking that there is nothing wrong with something he has made by making it look soooo good. Like an “angel of light” He will do that by making it extremely fun. He makes the characters look harmless, and they are even on the ‘good’ side. The problem is that they are using Satan’s tools to fight evil. Tools like magic and wizardry.

If you claim to be a Christian and you try to live by what the Bible says, you'll avoid entertainment that promotes things from the wrong side of the fence.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Christianity-Ch...help-please.htm

It is all a trick to make people think that Satan’s ways are not that bad. I have looked at the guys who used to play Dungeons and Dragons when I was small. Today they are normal people. They are married and have kids, and those kids are playing with Digimon and Pokemon. Even though these games and programs have wizards and magic in them, those parents won’t stop their kids from playing and watching it. Why? Because their consciences don’t tell them that it is wrong since they used to play and watch things with magic, wizards, and spells in them when they were young.

Those kids will grow up and have children of their own and they will let their children play with spells, witches, and demons, without even thinking twice. Before long, every Christian in the world will be doing exactly what Satan wants them to do: hurting God by playing on Satan’s side of the fence.

That’s all that Satan wants to do. If he can hurt God, he can get Him back for kicking him out of Heaven. When my parents told me not to watch Masters of the Universe and The Smurfs, they weren’t doing it to be mean. They were helping me to love Jesus as much as I can. So now that I am older and understand more, I know that everything that I do should say “I love you Jesus!”, and that includes the programs I watch and games I play.

So my post to him wasn't too far off topic since people don't usually like curse words because they are religious and what he said is based on his Christian beliefs. He was implying that he is somehow better than the "members of this forum who can't help but speak with S-and-F's," but it is clear that he is not better since he is obsessed with a cartoon that makes it seem OK to use Satan’s tools. The tools of Satan that the 'good guys' use in that cartoon are far worse than any F-word, but I don't recommend that Christians go around cursing either.

Oh well, he never seems to read my posts like these anyway. He takes a peek and goes running back into cartoon land to roll around in Satan's feces.

(By the way, I'm not a Christian and I do not believe that the Devil exists.)

I'm more offended by improper spelling than "bad" words. When I see "loose" in place of "lose" I cringe. When I see "f*ck" or "sh*t" I think "Well, at least they spelled it right". I don't mean to come off as a spelling nazi, but seeing simple words get mangled makes me sad :(.

As for the swear words, I think of them as spice. When used sparingly, they can be effective. Use them too much, all you 'taste' are the curses and the message the poster intended becomes irrelevant.

I agree...most people here have the spelling and grammar skills of a five-year-old. Why do so many people misuse 'there' and 'their' or 'then' and 'than' ("I'm smarter then you"). WTF is going on in schools? Did these people actually earn there high school diploma?

Regarding the cursing, I see far less of it here than at other gaming forums like Digital Press.

He'll pop up once in a while with a veiled "Jesus loves me more because I'm a good boy and it's too bad others aren't as mature and holy as I am" type of post. What I said wasn't out of the blue, but if you don't know the history, it might seem that way to you.

Having seen that several times, I would concur it most certainly was not out of the blue.

I'm more offended by improper spelling than "bad" words. When I see "loose" in place of "lose" I cringe.

The lazy or uneducated mangling of the English language makes me cringe as well when I see it.

The 'bad' words thing doesn't really faze me at all. The only time I even give a second thought to it would be when people do it excessively. And even then it just makes me think they aren't literate enough to get whatever point across they are are trying to make.

Edited by remowilliams

• 4 months later...

Profanity is the seasoning of language. Sometimes food tastes a bit better if we spice it up with some salt and pepper - and sometimes the meal is ruined because the cap pops off the salt shaker!

If someone writes a well-written post but drops the occasional F-bomb, I think that's fine if used for effect, but some folks seem to not understand the concept of judicious use of profanity.

If someone writes a well-written post but drops the occasional F-bomb, I think that's fine if used for effect

It has been overused to the point where it really has no effect anymore. Now it is mainly used as a crutch by people who lack the creativity to figure out something more appropriate.

It has been overused to the point where it really has no effect anymore. Now it is mainly used as a crutch by people who lack the creativity to figure out something more appropriate.

A lot of people lack creativity. You could say that they have a disability. The disabled often need a crutch or two. Making fun of them because they need crutches means that you hate disabled people. Now don't you feel ashamed?

:D

Profanity is the seasoning of language.

OH, I know what that is Spongebob. That's called a "Sentence enhancer." Just spinkle it over any conversation and WHAMMO! You got yourself a spicy sentence sandwich!

Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, shall we say, more colorful metaphors, "double dumb-ass on you" and so forth.
Oh, you mean the profanity?
Yes.
Well that's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays any attention to you unless you swear every other word.

They like you very much, but they are not the hell "your" whales.
I suppose they told you that.
The hell they did.

Spock, where the hell's the power you promised?
One damn minute, Admiral.