IGNORED

Are there any hardcore Sega Genesis collectors on this forum?

4ever2600

I have a Genny, and I do actively collect for it. However, I don't know if I'd say I was "hardcore". I have about 16 games now, and am really only looking for the titles I consider interesting. My ideal collection will probably not exceed 50 games. That's significantly less than a complete collection.

Speaking of completeness, though, I do like to have the box and docs for my Genesis games, whereas I don't care about that with my NES and Atari collections. It kind of annoys me, though, that the Genesis seems to be the HARDEST system to get complete games for. Come on, the company GAVE you a plastic case to keep everything in. How could you lose this stuff?

I don't necessarily COLLECT Genesis games.....but I LOVE playing my Genesis and try to find all the games I like. Got about 35+ games......not counting Sega CD and 32X games.

The Genesis, just like every other system, has many unique titles for it that are very fun.

I also wouldn't say I'm hardcore but I've actually developed more of an interest in the Genny as time has gone on. There just seems to be more obscure titles and unique games on it than say the SNES. I wouldn't say necessarily higher quality, just very different. Also the games in the wild here are still very cheap, and rare games often show up.

I'm putting together a trade list of sorts soon. I already have extras of stuff like MUSHA, Space Invaders '91, Gunstar Heroes, etc. to get rid of.

Still the best bang for the buck IMHO :cool:

Wow, I don't feel so bad... or should I? :)

It's not my intention to collect every Genesis game out there, but I have ended up with fifty keepers, plus a whole foot-locker of sports games I still haven't decided what to do with yet.

It's a great little system, appreciated in its day but underrated now, in my humble opinion.

Hell yeah I'm a hardcore Genny collector. 50 games and counting, plus all sorts of accessories and stuff (mouse, Game Genie, multi-tap, etc.). That includes no sports games, too. Though I consider myself more of a fan of the Super Nintendo, the Genny has stuff that you can't get anywhere else, and has some of the best platforming in the 16-bit era.

I wouldn't really call myself a hardcore collector of the software (although like many have mentioned about themselves, I, too have around 50+ games)

I DO consider myself a collector of Genesis hardware. I have the Nomad, X'eye, Master System adapter (fits on the Model 1 Gen), a Model 1 Gen + Model 1 SegaCD + 32x, Model 1 Gen + Model 2 SegaCD (with extension) + 32x, and a Model 2 Gen + Model 2 SegaCD + 32x. I'm still searching for a Model 3 Genesis for a decent price and perhaps the modem (although that doesn't really count as it is technically MegaDrive hardware) :) So that's why I usually chime in when someone has a Genesis question - I've had a pretty good amount of experience with most of its hardware combinations, so I'm more than happy to help in any way I can. The nice thing about the Genesis is that most stuff can be picked up pretty cheap now. The net worth of my hardware is like, $50. :P

I keep my eye out for Genesis accessories, too. I don't think I could possibly list all of that stuff I've picked up over the years, though.

One of these days I'll start collecting the software for it, though. Not sure when or just how much I'll get into it, but I DO love my Genesis - and it's near the top of my list.

Edited by atariman

You could say i'm a hardcore Genesis collector. :)

As of right now, i've got 155 games for the Genesis, most of them complete. My SNES collection is coming up on that number fast, but the Genesis definitely takes priority at the moment. I'm more or less shooting for a complete collection on both systems, but the Genesis collection is more likely to happen i think.

Skunkworx, i think i commented when you got that trunk full of sports games that i'd like to work out a deal for 'em. I'm poor as hell right now, but i'll think of somethin'. :)

Edited by Scumdogg

wow you guys have great stories about sega collecting i collecto for all systems

but lately i have found mostly ps1 games at my local goodwill

to me the dreamcast and saturn were the most underrated systems

but the genesis was always bomb to play im sure almost of yall

including myself have done this remember when we would play a genesis game

then we beat and just for fun use the game genie and half a few laughs and beat the game again

i remember back in the 90s when montgomery wards and fedco were around

and the would have sonic 1 and i would play it like crazy

man those were the good ole days do u guys feel me ?:)

I didn't consider myself hardcore until reading how many games others have..hehe. At last count I have about 250 Genny games. Of those only about 50 are boxed..but not all CIB as several are missing manuals etc.

But I do have quite a few dupes that I need to compile and get rid of. Off hand I know I have a spare Pirates!, Dune, Space Invaders '91, and several others. I also have a loose Crusader of Centy, CIB Ultimate Qix, and the fairly recently released Beggar Prince. I wish they would offer some sort of trade in on that where you can get the new updated version that works on all Genny systems.

As for hardware, I have about 3 model 1 units. Of which 2 are 1st gen, the other is 2nd gen model 1. I have only 1 Model 2 that works great but I never use it, Game Genie, 2 32x units complete, CDX, and X'eye (though it is finicky about playing Sega CD games). As for Sega CD, I also have about 3 model 1 Sega CD units, but none of them work for more than one or two game loads (Lasers are shot on them).

Still the genny has a huge library and I'll never have em all now would want to. You can keep your sports games. The only sports like titles I have are some of the golf games, and my CIB Mutant League Football. However, of all the genny carts I have which I also have a M.U.S.H.A., I don't own any of the Phantasy Stars yet...hehe. I want them CIB when I get them and I haven't found good deals for them in that shape as yet.

Oh yeah, I've got roughly 2/3s of all games released for it and every bit of US hardware aside from the elusive CDX, I even have the x-eye and a nomad. Genny collecting is pretty damned easy or at least it used to be, for some reason its always under valued compared to 2600 or SNES games. For awhile I was trying to have a complete EA (yellow tab) collection just so I could save myself the trouble of checking the list to see if I needed anything... Mutant League Hockey come to me!

Well my Genny 'collection' pales in comparison to many of you.... I have about 58 carts, at least 5 are complete, but I store my boxes and instructions away from the carts...running out of room... not sure if I have any 'rare' games, but I have Exodus, an unliscensed 'Boulderdash meets Bible study' game, I think it's fairly uncommon....... Hardware-wise I have a Genesis 3, one 'bare' Genesis1, and one crazy looking Genny 1 w/CD and 32X and wireless controllers.... Dang, need to get a multi-tap, so I can have my wireless 3 button and wired 6 button controllers hooked up at the same time.....

(I wonder if a Power Base convertor would work with the Genny/32X setup... :roll: )

For me I just buy genny stuff for fun.... I couldn't afford one when they were new, so now I just buy all that I can, to make up for lost time... And, as mentioned, there are some very good, and very quirky titles for the system (example, in Exodus, you control Moses, who 'shoots' bad guys with little blue W's...representing the Word of God.... :ponder: )

Not a hardcore collector but I pick up games when I find them. Most of my games are loose but lately I've been leaning toward boxed, especially since the games have been pretty plentiful. These games are generally really playable (my kids play them about as often as they play current gen games on the Wii and PS3).

I guess I do have the hardware fetish, I have an army of different models, including 1, 2, 3, 32X, top/bottom CD unit, left/right CD unit, CDX, X'Eye and Nomad. CDX is my favorite due to size and the fact that it only needs one power adapter. Oh yeah, also a big fan of Pico, mostly because my kids got a lot out of it when they were younger.

Eric

Oh yeah, I've got roughly 2/3s of all games released for it and every bit of US hardware aside from the elusive CDX, I even have the x-eye and a nomad. Genny collecting is pretty damned easy or at least it used to be, for some reason its always under valued compared to 2600 or SNES games. For awhile I was trying to have a complete EA (yellow tab) collection just so I could save myself the trouble of checking the list to see if I needed anything... Mutant League Hockey come to me!

Ah, I KNEW I forgot something on my list - the CDX is my most recent acquisition and I forgot to mention it! :)

Also, I just thought of this - does the LaserActive Genesis count? Isn't it technically Sega Genesis hardware? There are, after all, SegaLD games.

I have 103 complete (the only way to collect Genesis games, in my opinion) Genesis games in my collection right now. However, I wouldn't consider myself "hardcore", as I'm nearly done. I usually only collect the games that I really want to play fairly regularly. I imagine that I'll top out at about 110.

I"m just now starting to get into Genesis collecting. I would probably have more games if I had any money these days. I've started to buy obscure games I've never heard of. I especially like the older games. It will be a while before I have more Genesis games than SMS games, but it did pass up Saturn recently. Maybe in a year or so I'll have a good Genesis collection.

My Sega Genesis collection numbers 175 most being CIB. I love the Genesis and finding games in the wild is the ultimate thrill for me. The only thing I would be more excited about is finding Turbo Grafx 16 games at a thrift. If you wanna see a hardcore collector of everything Sega check out Tynstar's collection at RFgen.

I dont collect for it, but I have like 70 games, like 30 are CIB, and i have like 3 genny's, and lots of accessories.

I do have something prized in my genny collection, and thats Beggar Prince, it's pretty cool that i can say i have 1 out of 900 games, at least for me it is.