IGNORED

Memo Pad - Release 5

joyfulcoder

I recently encountered a problem with Memo Pad. When I open it, there is no window. It appears on my taskbar, but clicking on its entry does nothing. If I hover over it, the preview appears like this:

Can you check the Window Rect in the ini file to see if it's values are on your screen?

Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Joyful Coder\Memo Pad\Memo Pad.ini

It is odd that the taskbar popup does not display the icon nor app name. When you say recently do you mean before release 19?

• Like 1

Can you check the Window Rect in the ini file to see if it's values are on your screen?

Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Joyful Coder\Memo Pad\Memo Pad.ini

That was exactly it. The values were "Rect=-32000 -32000 -31840 -31962".

I just changed them to something reasonable, started the program up and everything seems fine now.

Edited by MrFish

BTW, with the new version, for setting the colors, the "Add to Custom Colors" selection does not persist between colors selections. This is useful when you want to clone a color or make a variation on a color that's already been set for another element.

Edited by MrFish

BTW, with the new version, for setting the colors, the "Add to Custom Colors" selection does not persist between colors selections. This is useful when you want to clone a color or make a variation on a color that's already been set for another element.

I see what you mean. I will look into retaining custom colors.

That was exactly it. The values were "Rect=-32000 -32000 -31840 -31962".

I just changed them to something reasonable, started the program up and everything seems fine now.

My fault. Those values indicate Memo Pad was exited while minimized. I will fix this.

Thank you.

• Like 4

My fault. Those values indicate Memo Pad was exited while minimized. I will fix this.

I see. I wasn't sure; I thought maybe it had something to do with using multiple monitors (which I'm using).

Thank you.

No problem; it's a handy tool; thanks for the continued work on it.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I see. I wasn't sure; I thought maybe it had something to do with using multiple monitors (which I'm using).

I thought the same thing. MS does not document those values but they seem consistent when minimized.

Release 20 checks if window is minimized or maximized and restores it before exit to ensure a valid rect is saved. It also remembers custom color settings.

• Like 4

I thought the same thing. MS does not document those values but they seem consistent when minimized.

Plus the values don't make sense even for multiple monitor coordinates.

Release 20 checks if window is minimized or maximized and restores it before exit to ensure a valid rect is saved. It also remembers custom color settings.

Thanks again.

I have a request, to add to the readability. If you can add a little extra space in between lines of text/code -- or make the spacing configurable -- it would help. It's not too bad with the Atari 8-bit font, but with the ST Color font (which I use all the time) it's just a bit crowded.

• Like 2

I have a request, to add to the readability. If you can add a little extra space in between lines of text/code -- or make the spacing configurable -- it would help. It's not too bad with the Atari 8-bit font, but with the ST Color font (which I use all the time) it's just a bit crowded.

I will add this as a user setting.

• Like 3

Just want to say that memopad is terrific!

Indispensable when working on BASIC 10 Liner programs! :)

Being able to locate the cursor with the mouse, and also being able to type in special ATASCII and inverse characters directly would be a tremendous improvement.

Thanks for creating this little gem!

-Eric

• Like 1

The caret will move to where you click or do you mean something else?

Entering graphics and inverse characters is on my To Do list. Find is being worked on.

Yes, mainly it would be great if the cursor would "jump" to the location where the mouse pointer is pointing if you click the left mouse button.

I tend to use the "jog wheel" on my mouse to scroll up and down in memopad but then as soon as i start typing it jumps back to where my cursor was left of course. So if I could scroll up and down with the mouse and then click, that would be sweet. This would be just like ms-word or wordpad or eclipse any other mouse-based GUI behaves related to scroll and click.

Edited by erichenneke

Yes, mainly it would be great if the cursor would "jump" to the location where the mouse pointer is pointing if you click the left mouse button.

I tend to use the "jog wheel" on my mouse to scroll up and down in memopad but then as soon as i start typing it jumps back to where my cursor was left of course. So if I could scroll up and down with the mouse and then click, that would be sweet. This would be just like ms-word or wordpad or eclipse any other mouse-based GUI behaves related to scroll and click.

Ok, well this is what I get for commenting on an old version of the memopad utility!

My bad, I just updated to the latest download version and I see that that mouse controls the cursor exactly as I had described.

Nice!

Sorry for the unnecessary noise.

Like I said, I love this program. Now I get to go try out all the other features that have been added in the last several revisions!

-Eric

Memo Pad does this already. The caret moves to where you click. Shift click and it selects. You can also click and drag to select.

• Like 1

Ok, well this is what I get for commenting on an old version of the memopad utility!

My bad, I just updated to the latest download version and I see that that mouse controls the cursor exactly as I had described.

Nice!

Sorry for the unnecessary noise.

Like I said, I love this program. Now I get to go try out all the other features that have been added in the last several revisions!

-Eric

No problem. I was afraid things were not working for you and there was a bug somewhere.

• Like 1

No problem. I was afraid things were not working for you and there was a bug somewhere.

Yep, works great. I like the mouse click+drag selection feature too! Now if the right mouse click would only allow cut-and-paste control directly from the mouse too... Ok, I'm getting greedy!

A find/search feature sure would be nice in a future revision though. :)

-Eric

Now if the right mouse click would only allow cut-and-paste control directly from the mouse too... Ok, I'm getting greedy!

Both requests are in Release 21. Enjoy!

• Like 5

Both requests are in Release 21. Enjoy!

YES!!! Just checked release 21 out quickly, sweet.

I was looking at your "to do" list... I am looking very forward to these in particular...

• Find and Replace.
  • Support typing inverse and graphic characters.
  • Undo.

Keep it up!

-Eric

• Like 4

Another suggestion for readability: If you can add a small amount of extra space to the left edge of the text (about 4 to 8 pixels), and maybe a little extra space for the top line as well (possibly both configurable?), it would be helpful. You can see examples of this being done in both "Notepad" on the PC and "TextEdit" on the Macintosh -- and probably most other text/code editors (including Atari's text and code editors ;) ).

Thanks,

MF

Thanks for a great tool! I am happily using it on Kubuntu now. There is a minor glitch with background not repainting when window is resized, but it is totally unimportant.

I am using MemoPad to edit ATASCII ART, so for me the most important is

• Support typing inverse and graphic characters.

Just in the meantime I made the attached files to copy and paste characters.

If you introduce gaps between lines / columns, please make them configurable as for ATASCII it is perfect as it is :)

all.txt

safe.txt

• Like 3

• 2 months later...