IGNORED

Atari Monitor border. Hard to expand image?

mons2b

Hi team,

Ive done a search of the forum and cant find a how to guide on how to expand the image on standard atari monitor. Screen is small as is without the wasted border space. So is the technical adjustment to make it bigger very hard? Also does anyone know why Atari designed such a border in the monitor? Seems silly but there must have been some reason?

John

NEW ZEALAND

I am using overscan only in monochrome mode :) Unfortunately there is not so many demos for mono. I know only 2 - Jirka Lamac demo and the Earth from Baky. Is there some other which I do not know?

There are a couple but I can't remember their names right now (one was by New Trend IIRC?). Also there is a fullscreen in mono! If you look in pouet and sort the st prods with date it should be one added this year :)

Hi team,

Ive done a search of the forum and cant find a how to guide on how to expand the image on standard atari monitor. Screen is small as is without the wasted border space. So is the technical adjustment to make it bigger very hard? Also does anyone know why Atari designed such a border in the monitor? Seems silly but there must have been some reason?

John

NEW ZEALAND

Just another thought. You can build a VGA adapter relatively inexpensively and use a VGA monitor for High Resolution and the image will be edge to edge. I know it is not the same as using real atari hardware but it works quite well, and its nice to do word processing on a 17 inch monitor!

Here are the instructions:

st_vga.zip

Edited by puppetmark

Too big border (small pic) on Atari monochrome (SM 124) may be result of old electrolyt capacitors.

It is known issue. I had such problem, but can not say now exactly which ones I replaced.

Probably those in horizontal deflection and power supply.

the border i was talking about is on Atari colour monitor..