IGNORED

most underated game

waldo

Sky Skipper I love this game because it takes lots of skills and moves at a very fast pace.

Cosmic Commuter Better than most games of it's type

oink! love those brick games

Private eye it's like a little puzzle game

Hmmm....I'd definitely agree with Private Eye. I always thought that game was outstanding, and somewhat overlooked. Great graphics and great challenge. There are still cases on that cart I've yet to solve...

I've often felt that my favorite Activision cart of all time, Stampede, was underrated. From what I understand, the game didn't sell all that well back in the day (I guess a lot of gamers weren't interested in ropin' steer). I've always thought that was a shame, because in terms of game play I've always felt the cart was both unique and outstanding. I still find the game addictive today.

I've also had the perception (perhaps the mistaken perception) that some of the Activision sports titles, such as Boxing and Ice Hockey, never got the attention they deserved. As far as 2600 sports games go, those are two of my favorites. Skiing is a pretty fun challenge as well.

One of my old favorites from way back is Reactor. I don't see it mentioned very often, so I assume that's it's just moderately obscure or else not altogether popular. In any event, I've always considered it to be one of the 2600's best action games. The graphics are somewhat minimalistic (although to say this of a 2600 game borders on redundancy ;) ) , but the different particles look cool, and the Vortex is killer! I used to play this thing with the lights out and a pair of red/blue 3-D glasses; it gave the image a weird, trippy luminescence. :cool: Also, the simulated metal soundtrack rocks! :music: m/

Definitely an obscure classic.

HEAVY***6***er

;) Reactor Defintly Rocked! that was the first game I repurchased when i got back into the atari. Use Mame and play the arcade version, the atari version isn't that far from the original.

I've gotten really into Jr. pacman as of late. I dont know how obscure it was but Its got great game play and really faithfull to the original, including back ground noise and cut music

;) Reactor Defintly Rocked! that was the first game I repurchased when i got back into the atari. Use Mame and play the arcade version, the atari version isn't that far from the original.

I've gotten really into Jr. pacman as of late. I dont know how obscure it was but Its got great game play and really faithfull to the original, including back ground noise and cut music

I agree, Cap -- Stampede's underrated, and speaking of Activision, so are the fantastic Frostbite and the innovative (I think) Pressure Cooker.

Other games that haven't received enough attention during their long lives are Beany Bopper, Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes and Flash Gordon.

And I maintain that E.T.'s a good adventure game.

-- Underdog Chris

I think E.T. holds the record as the most berated "bad" game, when it really isn't too bad. Sure it's not great, but it sure as heck aint as bad as the popular notion would lead us to believe.

Why don't they jump on the "Swordquest sucks" bandwagon? I think that's a worthy one :P

Frankenstein's Monster and Pengo are two fairly underrated games in my opinion. Data Age finally gets it right -- right before going under. Frankenstein's Monster is probably one of the best platform games on the 2600. And Atari's Pengo is consistently fun and pretty close to the equally underrated arcade game.

That's because Amidar is such a poor translation of the arcade game in which it's based upon. How so? it's too slow! A little more speed would've made the difference I think in matching the original's gameplay a little better.

I never thought Pengo was underated. It's always been a classic :)

I had heard Frankenstein's Monster sucked, but based upon the review above, I'll have to check it out! :)

I had heard Frankenstein's Monster sucked

Someone was smoking the ol' crack pipe, that's all. :P FM is an excellent game; it's kind of like a one-screen Pitfall, although it has plenty of challenges to keep you occupied. Like Pitfall, it's also a race against time, and a difficult one, at that. So far, I've never been able to beat the monster, but I do need more practice ;) . You won't regret getting a hold of this one. :D

HEAVY***6***er

It took me a while to get my hands on a copy of Frankenstein's Monster, and I was pleasantly surprised when I played it. That single screen packs a lot of challenge! Definitely not a game you get bored with quickly. If you like platform games, you need to get your hands on a copy. Well worth the hunt.

I've noticed that several people have named 20th Century Fox carts. I've always felt that company's games were underrated as a whole. Sure there were some stinkers in the catalog, but there were also several great games. Glad to see Turmoil mentioned. I love that cart's fast, frenetic action. Bank Heist has long been one of my favorite 2600 maze games, and I think it gets overlooked quite a bit. I'm also a fan of Crypts of Chaos. Granted, it's one of those "you have to read the manual to figure it out" titles, but once you get the hang of it, it's a blast. I've spent many happy hours exploring the crypts, hacking monsters and stealing treasure.

E.T. is not nearly as bad as many people make it out to be. Now the Swordquest games...yuck! :P

Hello fellow gamers:

Here are my top ten choices for underrated games...I'll announce my number one choice at the end...

Private Eye - some complex missions like mission 5 keep you going for hours. Nice graphics, decent challenge all throughout. It's actually one of the ten "deca" games in the Atari 2600 decathalon competition right now.

Solar Fox - I love this game !! Such a simple concept. It's amusing how long it took me to realize that speedy completion of the board to skip a stage only gives you the total point value of the next stage, so now I slow down.

Frankenstein's Monster - 6 short stages, and those bats. I've finished the game with over 4,400 points, the highest on the TG scoreboard. A decent challenge, and unique in that you start the stage with points an lose points whenever you die or touch anything or fall.

Entombed - such a seemingly simple challenge, yet so hard to do.

Coconuts - everyone likes the speed of Kaboom but few people enjoy this simple title. Not the highest scoring game by far, but very enjoyable

Eggomania - a variant of Kaboom, and a little trickier in some respects

Turmoil - much better than Taz. A true challenge of speed and reaction...and planning once you know the secret

Dragonfire - another one of the faster titles, and possibly one of the lesser known Imagic releases. A good workout for your joystick !!

Demons to Diamonds - next to Kaboom, my favourite paddle game. And much more challenging than Kaboom.

Wabbit - a very little known title, and quite the challenge. Watch how fast it gets in wave 4 and beyond.

And my top pick of the ten above is....PRIVATE EYE !!

This game has it all...it encourages map-making which is fun for those that like a little more out of the game, it is much more involved than "Adventure", and has both a clock and a point-based score so two record attempts are possible...fastest completion and highest points.

The graphics are pretty crisp for a 2600 title and the difficulty option is strategic in case you prefer to jump high or low. And the 5th challenge is ultra tough with a hefty 20 minute time limit. Harder than classic Pitfall even though they both have the 20 minute limit.

Just my two cents.

Robert T Mruczek

Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee

Star Wars classic arcade champion

(212) 366-3036 (work-day)

rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)