IGNORED

2600s on Ebay a risky buy....

wood_jl

I don't know jack, but I assumed they were pretty reliable, as has been my experience with most consoles that have no moving parts. NO???

All I want is a GOOD (looking) 2600, woodgrain, 4-switch ok, THAT WORKS!!! Is that hard to find? I would also like S-Video/Composite out added. That might be asking a bit

So I bid on Ebay - for one "with the box" and "everything that was in the box". It comes with a few games. The left side of the box is all ripped up (flaps gone), no packing material. Everything's thrown in the box, but with some bubble-wrap. The ebay picture of the box (in the background) carefully cropped the ragged end on the edge of the frame. The box isn't that important, but the assumption is the system isn't banged up because the box is there. WRONG!

So the system is filthy, and it looks like someone took a knifeblade and shaved a little plastic off the right side. Just some ugly notches but couldn't see it in the pic. OH, no switchbox! Can't run to the store like you did in the 80s and get one. So I take a few coax adapters and (and twist some wires) hook it up - either a black screen or vertical bars and random noise from the sound chip. Great, it's DOA and sending it back is prohibitively expensive.

One joystick ok, the other worn out and the rubber falls off. Good thing I suspected this and ordered Flashback 2 sticks from igg1na.

Allright! And it only cost me $20 shipping!!! So may as well go in the trash, save for a few carts. At this point, sending it back means I'd lose the paddle controllers, 1 joystick, and several good games. I'd only clear a few dollars after I PAY SHIPPING BOTH WAYS and get my refund. I guess I'll keep the stuff and shitcan the console. EBAY SUCKS for buying consoles for this very reason. I'd never done it before. I CAN'T IMAGINE PEOPLE BUYING XBOX360/PS3 (etc) from Ebay because of this. IT'S INCUMBENT UPON BUYER TO PAY SHIPPING BOTH WAYS WHEN THEY GET SCREWED????

What I want is a nice one with S-Video. So rather than pay shipping 4 ways (from seller to me (assuming seller isn't completely full of shit and I don't end up like I am now), to modder and back), don't places sell pre-modded, clean, tested, like-new 2600s? Maybe even stripped systems with no controllers/etc for people just looking to upgrade?

In this day of Playstation 3, would it be that expensive?

Thanks for listening to the rant. I feel better now.

I don't know jack, but I assumed they were pretty reliable, as has been my experience with most consoles that have no moving parts. NO???

All I want is a GOOD (looking) 2600, woodgrain, 4-switch ok, THAT WORKS!!! Is that hard to find? I would also like S-Video/Composite out added. That might be asking a bit

So I bid on Ebay - for one "with the box" and "everything that was in the box". It comes with a few games. The left side of the box is all ripped up (flaps gone), no packing material. Everything's thrown in the box, but with some bubble-wrap. The ebay picture of the box (in the background) carefully cropped the ragged end on the edge of the frame. The box isn't that important, but the assumption is the system isn't banged up because the box is there. WRONG!

So the system is filthy, and it looks like someone took a knifeblade and shaved a little plastic off the right side. Just some ugly notches but couldn't see it in the pic. OH, no switchbox! Can't run to the store like you did in the 80s and get one. So I take a few coax adapters and (and twist some wires) hook it up - either a black screen or vertical bars and random noise from the sound chip. Great, it's DOA and sending it back is prohibitively expensive.

One joystick ok, the other worn out and the rubber falls off. Good thing I suspected this and ordered Flashback 2 sticks from igg1na.

Allright! And it only cost me $20 shipping!!! So may as well go in the trash, save for a few carts. At this point, sending it back means I'd lose the paddle controllers, 1 joystick, and several good games. I'd only clear a few dollars after I PAY SHIPPING BOTH WAYS and get my refund. I guess I'll keep the stuff and shitcan the console. EBAY SUCKS for buying consoles for this very reason. I'd never done it before. I CAN'T IMAGINE PEOPLE BUYING XBOX360/PS3 (etc) from Ebay because of this. IT'S INCUMBENT UPON BUYER TO PAY SHIPPING BOTH WAYS WHEN THEY GET SCREWED????

What I want is a nice one with S-Video. So rather than pay shipping 4 ways (from seller to me (assuming seller isn't completely full of shit and I don't end up like I am now), to modder and back), don't places sell pre-modded, clean, tested, like-new 2600s? Maybe even stripped systems with no controllers/etc for people just looking to upgrade?

In this day of Playstation 3, would it be that expensive?

Thanks for listening to the rant. I feel better now.

Atari2600.com has S-video ones. They're probably as high as getting someone to mod it, but I hear they are great. Probably other places do it cheaper, but I am not sure the sites/people. A lot of people here know a million times more about Atari than me.

As for the consoles on Ebay, man, I feel you. I have bought a Nintendo 64 on Ebay and the reset button is stuck and a Sega Master System and the RF unit is a piece of crap. To compare, I've bought a 32X, 2600 and a Game.com on here and all came in the shape they were listed in. I have a Jaguar coming in the mail from someone on here and am a lot less worried about it than when I buy things on Ebay.

I've been there too. Sometimes you really have to ask alot of questions before you spend your hard earned dollar. If you don't get a response from the seller, just keep looking. Better things happen to those with patience. Atari2600.com has some decent stuff sometimes. Sometimes they have modded stuff. If you want mint expect to pay a little more. Be careful. Buyer Beware!

Well, in the future, I'd recommend you try the AA marketplace. Many of us have extra systems that can be got for a song (or at least a cool trade!) I myself have gotten quite a few things that way, including a near perfect Sega Saturn and N64 with lot of extras for a great price.

The best thing is that folks on here are NOT going to rip you off because unlike ebay, reputation still means something around these parts. I'd think most of us would be embarrassed to sell a filthy system, and aren't going to toss in a broken controller and claim it's "as is."

Am I right? :)

Of all of the crap unknown condition 2600's I bought on eBay in lots with cartridges that I wanted, I never got anything that bad. Sorry to hear that you did.

You may have already done thorough testing, but if not, I'd like to suggest that the symptoms you describe aren't necessarly indicative of a non-functional console. Dirty connections on the cartridge and or cartridge slot can produce similar behavior. At any rate, don't throw it away. You might have need of some of the parts at some point. If you can run a soldering iron to any remotely competent level, you can change out a switch. If you insist on tossing out the console and live near me, let me know and I'll pick it up from you. :)

Someone mentioned atari2600.com. I have done a little business with him and find him to be trustworthy and ethical. Unlike eBay sellers, this is his business, not a side line. He simply has more at stake with his reputation than the casual take-the-money-and-run eBay scammer. You'll find cheaper prices maybe, but you see where you might end up with that. He is careful about making sure things are tested and functional before he ships. I know, because I bought a big pile of non-functional and partially functional 5200's and trackballs that could have been repaired but weren't in good enough condition sell afterward. I watched as they cleaned and tested even the ratty old cosmetically deficient cartridges that I decided to buy while I was there chatting with him. He's got 10 lbs. of stuff in a 5 lb. bag there, but it's a quality operation from what I've observed.

Aside from that, I agree with the assessment of the AA marketplace. I haven't done much business here, but so far, I wouldn't hesitate to do business again with anyone I've bought from, sold to, or traded with here.

my last atari transaction on eBay was a flop. I purchased 2 consoles with games, controllers, etc. After I paid prime for shipping, the seller trowed everything in a box, tape it shut and mail it to me. One of the consoles was ok, the other one, the plastic on one of the corners was gone. After I emailed the seller to complain, he refunded the shipping charges, plus some extra for the broken console.

[shameless plug]

If you are handy with a soldering iron I am offering Video mod kits. Should be ready by the end of this week actually.

[/shameless plug]

I agree with the marketplace. Done a good share of selling and buying there and have had awesome transactions. Don't know about Atari2600.com but from what I have read they are top notch.

Boy, this sounds familiar.

The Colecovision that I ordered on ebay that was described as a "nice system" had garbled graphics and a second controller port that didn't work. One controller was semi functional....the other was totally useless. I was able to use the system for a few months....then it became totally unplayable. I got half my money back. I should of just sent the whole thing back.

The "replacement" vader I bought from someone else turned out to be a piece of junk. The graphics look horrible. It was shipped in a cardboard box with no padding at all.

I'm not buying anymore hardware off ebay.

I just bought a couple of games from atari2600.com. They were extremely nice.

I'm going to pay the extra money and buy a Colecovision from them. It comes with a 90 day warranty.

Edited by Recycled

I have bought a ton of hardware off of ebay, and gotten lucky I suppose since all of it has worked. IIRC I bought my 2600, 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision, and Xbox 360 all from eBay.

That said, I know I've been lucky. If you really want a fair deal on a 2600, I'd just post in the wanted forum here on AA. There are a lot of cool folks with extra working 2600's that will give you a fair price.

I'll also take the time to concur on this one. I had someone on eBay ship me a broken 7800 and came right on here to try to get one instead--worked out a nice trade deal and my new 7800 arrived well-packed and perfect. Unless it's insanely cheap, I won't buy consoles on eBay anymore. People on here always have extras, including me. I sent someone a nice system just a few weeks ago and I think we worked out a good deal for the both of us.

I have a decent 4-switch available, but I think if you want to go the modded route, see Atari2600.com. That is one classy operation they are running over there. Can't recommend them enough.

If you want something decent, I concur that buying from the AA marketplace from your fellow Atari peers is your best bet cause sadly Ebay is a crap shoot with nearly everything you buy.

Actually, if your getting a tone and lines, that actually tels you the system is working. It's simply not reading the carts though. It's very likely you can get it to work just by cleaning the carts (or a blowjob, if your in a hurry)

As for Ebay, just stick to people with good rateings, and ask questions. the better ones will respond to inquires (even the buisy "I do this for a living" ones) If they won't answer you, it's probably best to steer clear.

As for moded systems, you'll probably have to go to a specialty site, or get a member here to do one for you.

I just CANNOT comprehend as to how someone can send a DIRTY FILTHY console to someone.That sort of thing is a reflection on what kind of seller one is,IMO.A seller who does that,i would NOT BUY AGAIN FROM,even if the item worked,i would not gamble and buy again from a something that arrives dirty!!!!!!!.Asking alot of questions is NO GUARANTEE either,Ebay IS PRETTY MUCH"BUY AT OWN RISK".I once bought a SUPERMAN picture label cart on EBAY.I clearly asked if label is in good condition,he said yes,just like the picture on the site shows,perfect conditon,no tears rips,smudges,or WRITING on label,he said.When the cart finally arrived,the cart had "SUSAN"SCRIBBLED on the picture label in big black permanent magic marker.

Edited by Rik

I have bought a Nintendo 64 on Ebay and the reset button is stuck...

It's a very common occurance with N64, as well as GameCube and Model 2 Sega Genesis. Just gotta open up the consoles (sans the Genesis, you'll need a game bit) and clean the button and the slot it goes in. You might be able to fix it with a toothbrush or something if you don't have a gamebit, but Idunno if I'd risk it.

I just CANNOT comprehend as to how someone can send a DIRTY FILTHY console to someone.

Isn't it against eBay policy?

I have bought a Nintendo 64 on Ebay and the reset button is stuck...

It's a very common occurance with N64, as well as GameCube and Model 2 Sega Genesis. Just gotta open up the consoles (sans the Genesis, you'll need a game bit) and clean the button and the slot it goes in. You might be able to fix it with a toothbrush or something if you don't have a gamebit, but Idunno if I'd risk it.

I just CANNOT comprehend as to how someone can send a DIRTY FILTHY console to someone.

Isn't it against eBay policy?

I would think so,I mean you can probably catch a disease from filthy items,dont know where those things can came from!It is just common courtesy cleaning items BEFORE SENDING THEM.People who dont are DIRTY AND SLOVEN,LOW LIFES,PERIOD.

Yeah, I got a SNES off of ebay earlier this summer that was just gross. It looked like a homeless chain-smoker had been using it as a pillow. Have to admit, the damn thing did work, but it probably took two hours to clean everything (case, controllers, ect) to my satisfaction. There were even weird pieces of WOOD inside the case, along with 2 different kinds of soda, and some melted green candy (probably a lime sucker.) Oh yeah, I paid $48.56 shipped for it too. I gave the buyer a positive anyway, but in the comments left a remark about how dirty it was. The result? A nasty email from the seller and no feedback from them at all. :roll:

Yeah, I got a SNES off of ebay earlier this summer that was just gross. It looked like a homeless chain-smoker had been using it as a pillow. Have to admit, the damn thing did work, but it probably took two hours to clean everything (case, controllers, ect) to my satisfaction. There were even weird pieces of WOOD inside the case, along with 2 different kinds of soda, and some melted green candy (probably a lime sucker.) Oh yeah, I paid $48.56 shipped for it too. I gave the buyer a positive anyway, but in the comments left a remark about how dirty it was. The result? A nasty email from the seller and no feedback from them at all. :roll:

What an ASSHOLE,that seller is!!!!.Thats a FINE EXAMPLE of how F##$ed up EBAY'S feedback system is,give a justified negative comment...the result?..a big F$%$k you by the seller,resulting in YOU,THE BUYER ,recieving a negative point AGAINST YOU,JUST FOR REPORTING ON A BAD SELLER!,something HAS to be done about it,cus its UNJUST,BULLSHIT.I hope EBAY keeps losing clients,that'll smarten them, up a bit(MAYBE).They're too huge right now and independant,everything collapses,eventually.Nothing lasts forever,its only a matter of time for EBAY,the law of ENTROPY shall prevail,especially the way they treat those poor folks who get ripped off,and the HUGE FEE INCREASE!

Edited by Rik

What an ASSHOLE,that seller is!!!!.Thats a FINE EXAMPLE of how F##$ed up EBAY'S feedback system is,give a justified negative comment...the result?..a big F$%$k you by the seller,resulting in YOU,THE BUYER ,recieving a negative point AGAINST YOU,JUST FOR REPORTING ON A BAD SELLER!,something HAS to be done about it,cus its UNJUST,BULLSHIT.I hope EBAY keeps losing clients,that'll smarten them, up a bit(MAYBE).They're too huge right now and independant,everything collapses,eventually.Nothing lasts forever,its only a matter of time for EBAY,the law of ENTROPY shall prevail,especially the way they treat those poor folks who get ripped off,and the HUGE FEE INCREASE!

If that's not bad enough, it's now to the point where you have to ASK them if the item there are selling even WORKS! Unfortunately, with things like controllers or game carts for instance, you will usually get the old "I don't have that system, so I can't test them, so they are sold AS IS." At least they won't usually outright lie and tell you they tested them and they work, but not always. :x

Like i said before,you gotta treat EBAY with a "buy at own risk" attitude.That way if you do get ripped off,you know you took a risk.Its no consolation for getting ripped off,but at least it will be no shock,cus most of the times,getting your money back is a STRESSFULL,TIME CONSUMING,HASSLE,and better off not bothering and just take a loss,hard to do,but your health and blood pressure will thank you.With that said,thats why i DO NOT,buy anything over $40,that way my loss is minimal.

I have won over 100 auctions on ebay and have never been ripped off. Just read the auction before you commit to it and ask questions if you have any. Stay away from people with minimal feedback cause those are usualy the people out to rip you off. I know that I don't wanna ruin my feedback record.

• 3 months later...

The only system I ever bought off of eBay was a NES, which came in really bad condition. I don't even think I really would want to know what it was I was cleaning off of the inside for 2 hours with toothpicks and 409. I did eventually get it working without replacing any of the parts thanks to the sandpaper and bend technique.

For the most part though, I find that I get CONSIDERABLY lower prices around here than on eBay. And I don't even have to pay for shipping. I'm sure at least half of my classic collection is from the flea market. Heh.