IGNORED

New Indus GT firmware

MrMartian

How is this going? any more updates or work?

Would it b e possiable to get the source?

The z80 is very hard compared to the 6502..

James

Did you get the source code? MrMartians was last online in May 2010...

--

lemiel

No.

James

Many apologies, I've actually not been on this site in a very long time... I will dig up the source and post it as soon as I can!

• 2 months later...

Many apologies, I've actually not been on this site in a very long time... I will dig up the source and post it as soon as I can!

This is it! The only parts fairly well commented are the SIO routines...

I presume that this is the modified version? do you have the pre-modified source?

This is it! The only parts fairly well commented are the SIO routines...

I presume that this is the modified version? do you have the pre-modified source?

I doubt it.. Even if I did, it wouldn't have the same level of comments in it as I would have added most of that as I was hacking away... I will look to see what I kept, though..

I doubt it.. Even if I did, it wouldn't have the same level of comments in it as I would have added most of that as I was hacking away... I will look to see what I kept, though..

Thank you for looking.

No, it seems I didn't keep any other version of the disassembly, sorry.. At some point I should probably do this and do my hacks as .ifdefs..

• 5 years later...

Well I installed the INDUSGT_12mm to my drives.. works fine.. so far.. not sure best way to test speeds.

But one thing I have discovered.. and if you are reading this and put this rom in.. did it happen to you... DIAGS will not work now. There are several funtions that done work anymore.. if I put the 1.2 rom back in.. no problem. But the MM rom.. no go.

James

• 6 months later...

So how good is the speed increase? Is it as good as a Happy modded 1050? Any incompatibilities?

It should perform essentially identical to a USDoubler 1050. It will no longer function as an Indus, and Indus software will fail. You would only use ICD/Ultraspeed software.

As such, maximum speed would be only attainable on disks formatted with Ultraspeed sector skew (5:1) as there is no track buffer like Happy. The Indus super synchromesh could go a little faster (4:1 skew), but there was much less software that supported running the drive that way.

It should perform essentially identical to a USDoubler 1050. It will no longer function as an Indus, and Indus software will fail. You would only use ICD/Ultraspeed software.

As such, maximum speed would be only attainable on disks formatted with Ultraspeed sector skew (5:1) as there is no track buffer like Happy. The Indus super synchromesh could go a little faster (4:1 skew), but there was much less software that supported running the drive that way.

Ah ok, so it sounds like if I'm just going to use regular disk copies then I'm better off staying with a 1050 with a Happy mod (I have the Archiver mod in mine, but same deal).

Ah ok, so it sounds like if I'm just going to use regular disk copies then I'm better off staying with a 1050 with a Happy mod (I have the Archiver mod in mine, but same deal).

Yep, happy mod allows you to get ultraspeed transfers regardless of sector skew. Hey - I've never owned an Archiver, it is not the same as a Happy. If thats what you actually have I'm curious if you can tell me if it has a track buffer? If not it probably performs similar to a USD - requiring disks to be formatted with the 5:1 skew.

Yep, happy mod allows you to get ultraspeed transfers regardless of sector skew. Hey - I've never owned an Archiver, it is not the same as a Happy. If thats what you actually have I'm curious if you can tell me if it has a track buffer? If not it probably performs similar to a USD - requiring disks to be formatted with the 5:1 skew.

It's a similar mod but it can't load retail disks like Happy can. I honestly don't know much about it.

Actually I think it might be called Duplicator the more I think about it. Something like that.

• 11 months later...

I believe the 'unk' version is a dump of an upgrade ROM I bought from Best Electronics back in the day. It was supposed to have some sort of improvements, but I don't recall exactly what. I have the documentation

for it here somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it right now.

I found the documentation for this ROM and transcribed it. I never have actually used this ROM as I fried my original INDUS before I got around to installing it and never got around to it after obtaining more drives. Sounds like some good improvements if they actually work. Should give you some things to play around with MrMartian.

I purchased that same "1.2X" ROM from BEST as well. I dumped the EPROM and confirmed the checksum E31B3C51 matches INDUSunk.ROM in JR>'s zip file. I still have the papers that came with it. Haven't actually tried it yet myself either. :D Interesting about the note about 1.3X, so that's another hack that may still be out there...

Phaeron took a look at it and told me this is definitely a hacked v1.2 ROM. There's about two dozen locations that have been edited, and the checksum routine was NOPed.

post-53052-0-72415700-1538973893_thumb.jpg

post-53052-0-29839300-1538974030_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I purchased that same "1.2X" ROM from BEST as well. I dumped the EPROM and confirmed the checksum E31B3C51 matches INDUSunk.ROM in JR>'s zip file. I still have the papers that came with it. Haven't actually tried it yet myself either. :D Interesting about the note about 1.3X, so that's another hack that may still be out there...

Phaeron took a look at it and told me this is definitely a hacked v1.2 ROM. There's about two dozen locations that have been edited, and the checksum was NOPed.

I got this ROM installed on my red-dip-switch IndusGT.

It reports as v1.20 on GT-Diags, there are no blips/sounds of any kind when pressing keys, (even the test-tune posted on this forum does not send anything over SIO), it stops disk-spin very quickly and sometimes it does not even spin when inserting a disk. It runs SuperSynchroMesh perfectly, and boots CP/M perfectly as well.

As for the fast sector interleave, not sure, since my blue-dip-switch Indus (second drive) seems to be performing identically under SDX and DOS-XL / SuperSynchro and CP/M, with original v1.2 rom (the one that spins longer, blips with keys-pressed, etc.)

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

IMHO more interesting than a new interleave scheme would be the usage of a RAM charger as a track buffer like every Happy or Speedy does... :)

This may not be that trivial at all.

I have been studying for a little bit Indus' Track-Buffering (bF) feature under DOS-XL and it seems, by all means, to go FAR beyond mere track-buffering. In fact, it seems more like a precise, sophisticated SECTOR-LEVEL cache, capable of leaving the mechanical-side of the drive VOID and NULL of any actual physical activity during repeated and seemingly random access of files, directory area, etc.

It is very, very nice to see it in full action! :-)

• Like 4

• 5 months later...