IGNORED

What are the odds of finding a prototype in the wild?

tenoch

Here is my Intellivision/Mattel T-Card

I also live in the bay area and I can remember finding one in a business liquidation warehouse,

must of been sometime around 95 I left that one behind as I was not sure what it was, latter that

night it hit me and I went back and turned the place inside out but could not find it again, the place

was huge with everything you could think of still in desk drawers, filling cabinets and boxes just

thrown in a very large warehouse, I did however find an original IBM DOS 1.0 disk and manual set :)

Anyway I can say for sure they are out there

tcardcf.jpg

tcardbf.jpg

What's odd is that CV protos never seem to surface in CT, near where Coleco was. What about INTV protos? It just seems like lots of Atari protos get found.

Coleco prototypes never surface period. The Coleco/Mattel stuff is all in the hands of the original programmers (whatever still exists at all and didn't end up in the landfill years ago). That's because Coleco and Mattel only had in-house development prototypes, whereas Atari had lab loaners floating around all over the place.

Actually, most of Coleco's ColecoVision games (aside from the inital releases), as well as Atari 2600 and INTV games, were programmed by third-party companies located all over the country. Plenty of protos probably escaped getting recalled back to the Coleco mothership, but it just doesn't seem like those involved kept their souvenirs around for that long. Most of the employees at Coleco were involved with game and graphics design. They came from non-video game backgrounds and when they left Coleco many went to non-video game related jobs. This probably explains why so many threw them out over the years, they just didn't share a strong enough connection with the games themselves.

This is all based on the interviews I've had with ex-Coleco employees. While I've only talked to a handful, the information is consistent between them all.

+ Nathan

I also live in the bay area and I can remember finding one in a business liquidation warehouse,

must of been sometime around 95 I left that one behind as I was not sure what it was, latter that

night it hit me and I went back and turned the place inside out but could not find it again, the place

was huge with everything you could think of still in desk drawers, filling cabinets and boxes just

thrown in a very large warehouse, I did however find an original IBM DOS 1.0 disk and manual set :)

Odd they called it Thunder Castle on the prototype. The working name of the game was Mystic Castle right up until about the time it was released. Is the prototype any different?

Tempest

Odd they called it Thunder Castle on the prototype. The working name of the game was Mystic Castle right up until about the time it was released. Is the prototype any different?

Tempest

No difference that I ever noticed but I have not played it in a very long time (I will need to re-check) this was

actualy from a very old RGVC newsgroup auction the seller was Curtis Hepworth who had gotten them or was

selling them for a ex-game tester Pat something, cant remember her last name there were two or three other

T-Cards along with a Clear case Burgertime and other odditys, This was listed as having graphics problems

which it did have until I noticed one of the toggle switches was not all the way down (kinda half way ) I set the

switch all the way down and it cleared up the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one area I can say you gotta know what you are looking for. I have been to numerous flea markets, yard sales, Thrift shops, etc. I have not found any yet. I check the 4k and 8k boards that have no case and everything. My experience says. Maybe a chance but highly unlikely. :|

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been real lucky in my time collecting. I have lived in two states: Washington and California(Northern California, Redding). I found a Mr. Dos Castle proto for Colecovision in California, and when I moved to Washington(Vancouver Washington)...I found some demo carts from Data Age...one of them being Secret Agent. That little find helped out my game collection quite nicely :)

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up in Amsterdam, NY, where Coleco was based. If I had any Idea back in the 80's(or whenever Coleco went under), I could have probably found a virtual goldmine of carts. I could have done some dumpster diving. My aunt also worked for them at one point back in the day. If only I had known, but I was in high school and had moved on to other interests.

Florida totally sucks for collecting. I spent all of 2007 at flea markets searching for protos, an adventurevision, and a laseractive and found nothing. There are no prototypes or rare items at all. There is no way I can afford to buy protos online :mad:

Isn't Florida the hotspot for Pepsi Invaders? Too bad it's so hard to spot if it's not boxed or hand-labeled -- it was originally made with no labels, so to find one by accident you either have to be very lucky, or look really closely at all the label-less carts you find and buy the ones that have absolutely no adhesive residue on the label areas.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

What's odd is that CV protos never seem to surface in CT, near where Coleco was. What about INTV protos? It just seems like lots of Atari protos get found.

Coleco prototypes never surface period. The Coleco/Mattel stuff is all in the hands of the original programmers (whatever still exists at all and didn't end up in the landfill years ago). That's because Coleco and Mattel only had in-house development prototypes, whereas Atari had lab loaners floating around all over the place.

I have two Colecovision protos (Berenstain Bears and an unknown Smurf game for the unrealeased CV Kid Vid), both found in CT. The only other item I have come across in the wild that may have been some kind of prototype was a Genesis XBAND modem in a clear plastic case (instead of the standard black case.) I did find an Intellivision Playcable modem at the same video game store on Long Island which produced the XBAND. It sat there for weeks before I figured out what it was.

I have two Colecovision protos (Berenstain Bears and an unknown Smurf game for the unrealeased CV Kid Vid), both found in CT.

The Kid Vid module was released. Several AA members have them, and a few even have the box.

Or did you mean that the games you have and the unreleased Kid Vid are for the ColecoVision console? I'm referring to the 2600 version.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I have two Colecovision protos (Berenstain Bears and an unknown Smurf game for the unrealeased CV Kid Vid), both found in CT.

The Kid Vid module was released. Several AA members have them, and a few even have the box.

Or did you mean that the games you have and the unreleased Kid Vid are for the ColecoVision console? I'm referring to the 2600 version.

Kid Vid game protos for the ColecoVision console. Unfortunately I do NOT have a ColecoVision Kid Vid (does anyone?!?), so the games are unplayable.

Kid Vid game protos for the ColecoVision console. Unfortunately I do NOT have a ColecoVision Kid Vid (does anyone?!?), so the games are unplayable.

I never heard of such a thing. Pics?

From a NECG meeting several years back:

http://www.azureware.com/necg/

Click on "photo gallery" and then "19Jul03" and you will find the screen shots.

I never heard of Florida being a hotspot for that game. I know that there were'nt very many copies made so I doubt that I would come accross one.

Pepsi Invaders were given away in Georgia. So Florida will pop up with a Pepsi Invaders from time to time. Florida is a hot spot for Karate by Ultravision though. The company was based out in Florida so keep a look out for that game.