IGNORED

Quake 3 Adventure!

Gregory DG

I vote for the white/black castles also but we need to remeber to make sure its somewhat easy to get out - putting them inside means coverage of the doors would be easy (as a CTF fan myself) - Maybe the flags outside with ammo inside the castles :)

Just my $0.02

I vote for the white/black castles also but we need to remeber to make sure its somewhat easy to get out - putting them inside means coverage of the doors would be easy (as a CTF fan myself) - Maybe the flags outside with ammo inside the castles :)

I'll likely make a special CTF version of the map, so anything goes. The flags can be anywhere, and the tops of the castles would be a cool idea. Also, I think the Black and White castles are the best places to have them.

How about some suggestions for simplifying the map? Like closing up the black castle maze, removing some rooms, etc? What rooms can be closed for CTF?

It would be easier to alter the map rather than try to make the exisiting one conform to CTF.

Couldn't you just post the flags in dead end parts of the maze? If you removed the ability to climb the walls that would be pretty fair..or maybe just increase the height of the walls in the area if the maze where the flag is?

This way you could take out the castles for the most part...and just leave the maze parts intact as the CTF map...I don't know...I don't even own Quake 3...much less would I have time to play it if I did. But I know that when I did play CTF in Unreal Tournament...that most of the flags were in hard to reach spots that could be easily defended...

:?

Being a CTF player I have a different view - All the good maps for Q3 have atleast 2 entry/exit points to get to the flag - The flags are in a place where they can be defended but also are setup in such a way that an opponet can get out of there with it. Putting them inside the castles or in the corner of a maze makes it much easier to defend since the entry/exit points are restricted severly (esp in the castles)

Putting them on top of the castles is an interesting idea - depends on how one would get up there per say............

Damn, I disappear for a little while and suddenly this idea has been given the breath of life. And I must say it's looking very, very tasty indeed. But then I'm a sucker for 3D, and a 3D variant of one of the all-time classic VCS games has me drooling rather profusely.

Is this for Quake, or Quake II?

Oo ... Q3A ... guess the realtime lighting should have tipped it off for me.

This would be a great Q3 mini-TC.  I want.

Now.

:-)

Well, if you're interested, you can help playtest it. Anyone interested (and willing to give feedback - a must!) send me an email at greg@ataritimes.com

Hey!

First off, I have to say that you did one hellova job with this map. You are the *best* :)

I do have a little feedback - two things...

1) Somewhere in the black castle maze there is a teleport that actually brings you *outside* the map. I was a little confused at first, but then I realized where I was - standing on top of the ceiling of the maze. I haven't been able to find that exact teleporter as of yet, but if I do I'll let you know.

2) I wish there was a way to make those teleporters *invisible* instead of black (so you can see where you are teleporting into - it would make the movement more fluid). It's a little confusing in dark areas what is a teleporter and what is a dead-end...

I love the bots! Thanks for this wonderful piece of work. :D

Signing off (for now)

I found the place that brings you outside the map - find the model of the Chalice and face it.  The go left through the teleport.

This has been fixed in the latest beta. Email me at greg@ataritimes.com for the url to download it.

Also, I've experimented with teleports with a portal that shows you where you are going. But they have a lot of cloudy special effects that I don't think work with Adventure. The black walls tell you it's a teleporter and the new maps on the walls will tell you where you are located.

Ok, I've figured out how to make the teleporter show you where you are going. You will look into the teleporter and see exactly where it leads. It still looks a little too advanced for Adventure, but I think I can make it look basic.

Here is a screenshot:

http://www.ataritimes.com/classics/images/...dv/teleport.jpg

It looks like a white fog before you get close to it though. Also, it sways back and forth annoyingly. Luckily, I can direct the camera to any point in space.

Ok, I've ditched the camera views with the teleporters. Having too many of them started messing them up. Now there is just a cloudy wall to tell you it is a teleporter.

I've also made it possible for the bots to get around a bit better. They still won't enter a teleporter, but I've modified the map somewhat to give them an fair chance. :wink:

Also, I've spent a lot of time this weekend tweaking the weapon balance to keep the map from becoming a Rocket Arena... It was nice when I ran out of ammo and had to switch to a different weapon several times.

If anyone is interested in testing Beta3, send me an email at greg@ataritimes.com . I'm getting some great feedback from my testers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.

I have a suggestion for the coloring/lighting issues. Why not make two different shades of each color (two different textures I suppose), and use one for all the walls going in one direction, and the other for the walls perpendicular to them. Then you wouldn't need lighting at all, and the map would look a lot more like the original game.

Just a thought

/M

Wow!

Bill Kendrick posted this to /. resulting in over 20,000 hits for TAT today. Over 530 people have downloaded the map now!

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/09/11/0628...0.shtml?tid=112

:)

I'm glad someone tipped you off/warned you about the /. posting, hope it doesn't eat all your bandwidth :)