IGNORED

Yoomp

Pengwin

I've just come across the game Yoomp (here). I am totally blown away and completely addicted to it. It's absolutely amazing to see that this level of games programming is still being produced for the A8. Well done to the authors.

If you haven't seen this game yet, click on the link above and check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Currently I'm stuck at level 14 which is quite hard (at least for an occasional game player like me), and I'm really curious about what levels 15-21 will look like.

I just finished level 21

Me too. Nice extro screen btw.

Have to admit that it took a while to finish the game but it was a lot of fun. For me, level 15 was the hardest.

Now I go back to crownland to finish it as well. :D

Regards,

patjomki

Thanks for nice comments about Yoomp!.

I'm happy someone managed to finish it.

I would like to ask you one thing - could you try to estimate how long did it take you to finish the game, including all the time you spent playing Yoomp!

I'm just curious what is an estimated "gameplay" of this game.

By the way, many people have asked for a version with passwords to different levels. It's ready and it's being tested. I will release it soon, together with first playable NTSC version.

It took a while that's for sure. :roll:

I would like to ask you one thing - could you try to estimate how long did it take you to finish the game, including all the time you spent playing Yoomp!

Well. I am not 100% sure but anyway...

Due to the fact that in the beginning I switched of my XL after reaching level 13 at the first evening after some hours I had to start again at level 1 so perhaps I could have played a little bit faster.

O.K. All in all I think I played for about 20 hours. Hope this helps. :)

By the way, many people have asked for a version with passwords to different levels. It's ready and it's being tested. I will release it soon, together with first playable NTSC version.

hooray (for the password version but NTSC doesn't harm either).

Regards,

patjomki

What a brilliant game - I have played a game this much in ages. Thanks!! :)

@eru:

About that 'bug' I wrote about in the Abbuc Software Contest thread. I have played level 12 last evening for about 1 hour, and I have never had the problem. I left the atari 'switched on' tonight, and I'll try it again later.

I could remember, I was not so suprised by getting a crash. For some reason I already noticed there was something not completely fine when I died on that point.

I hope I could discover WHAT exactly I did, and WHERE... Or do you think that the problem I described could occur anywhere in the game?

Thanks

Marius

I hope I could discover WHAT exactly I did, and WHERE... Or do you think that the problem I described could occur anywhere in the game?

Hi Marius,

In principle, it shouldn't occur. And if it did, it is so random it's hard to guess if it depends on the level/location.

I would say, don't worry - since (as far as I know) it happened only once, only to you, out of all the millions playing Yoomp! (:D), just enjoy playing the game, and don't spend time trying to reproduce it.

In the meantime, the next Yoomp! version will try to improve the speed just a bit, which should prevent this from happening EVER :)

Thanks!

It's hard to tell. First of all I have to admit that I cheated a little bit. I used my TurboFreezer to save a snapshot to disk so the next day I could start at the level where I stopped. In 2 or 3 (especially longer) levels I saved a snapshot when I died after reaching one of the "save points" - but only if I was already able to play the level fine up to the "save point".

It took me some 4 or 5 sessions of a few hours each to finish the game. Sometimes I took a break and let my girlfriend play, sometimes I played some older levels just to warm up.

I'd say I played a total of some 15 hours until I finished level 21, maybe some 10 hours of real gameplay plus some 5 hours of additional warm up or just "play for fun".

BTW: I also ran into the bug that Marius described. It was at the very beginning of a level (could have been level 12, too, at least it was something between 10 and 14), immediately after the title/level screen. But this only happened once, in a total of some 25-30 hours of playing.

so long,

Hias

I'd say I played a total of some 15 hours until I finished level 21, maybe some 10 hours of real gameplay plus some 5 hours of additional warm up or just "play for fun".

Today I played Yoomp! in a row. It took me ~2 hours. After that I finished Crownland (full version) again. That took just half an hour. :D

Regards,

patjomki

eru I download the avi movie but it just plays music in media player, I have Divx code and quicktime installed still no video just music.

what do I need to view it..

Codecs are hell, to be 99% sure you can watch a movie (except for WMV), use VLC player. If you want to use a different player, I think you need a h264 codec.

And of course you can watch the video on our website: http://yoomp.atari.pl/media.htm

Hi Eru!

In principle, it shouldn't occur. And if it did, it is so random it's hard to guess if it depends on the level/location.

I just ran into the bug again (after I died in level 20) and made a snapshot with my TurboFreezer. I've uploaded a ZIP-file with the ATR image (containing the freezer file), an extracted memory dump (I hope my program worked correctly, just ignore the data in $D3xx) and an info.txt with the CPU-state (PC, SP, A, X, flags).

http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/yoomp-dump.zip

so long,

Hias

Thanks Hias,

It's great you sent it - this error is not what I expected, as it has something to do with the menu system, and not that the game can't run in 2 frames...

I wonder - for others that have 'bars problem', did it happen during the game, or when you were entering some menu (well, any screen other that the game). Like when you die, finish level, etc.

Thanks again!

I wonder - for others that have 'bars problem', did it happen during the game, or when you were entering some menu (well, any screen other that the game). Like when you die, finish level, etc.

IIRC it happened both times after pressing the trigger to (re-) start a level.

so long,

Hias

IIRC it happened both times after pressing the trigger to (re-) start a level.

so long,

Hias

Awesome game! I finally hooked up my PAL machine and tried out the game. Very nicely done.

Stephen Anderson

eru VLC works perfect!! Thanks

Im in the process of Hooking up an 8bit system to play Yoomp! they have been packed up for years . Yoomp is making me set my system backup OMG :)

All my 8bit Atari (12 total) have been upgraded with Pal ANTIC chips so Ill be ready to Play it on a real Atari in a day or so.

Oh eru have you thought about a demo mode? :)

Thanks again.

Awesome game! I finally hooked up my PAL machine and tried out the game. Very nicely done.

thanks!

eru VLC works perfect!! Thanks

pleasure :)

Oh eru have you thought about a demo mode? :)

What do you mean by demo mode? Like showing levels if nothing happens in the main menu? If so, we thought a bit about something like this.

But the bottom line is, although I very much enjoy working on Yoomp!, I don't really see a point in adding more features to it, except for level codes (done), and NTSC version (in progress).

There are other things to work on, right? :)