IGNORED

Yoomp

Pengwin

I wonder - for others that have 'bars problem', did it happen during the game, or when you were entering some menu (well, any screen other that the game). Like when you die, finish level, etc.

IIRC it happened both times after pressing the trigger to (re-) start a level.

so long,

Hias

In my case it happened when there should have been YOU DIED on the screen. I remember again.

Thanks

Marius

Although already there is lot of congratulations, I have to write something down about this incredible game, for a long time I haven't seen a complete new game so playable in the a8.

Congratulations! again and I hope sometime there will appear a NTSC version.

Cheers,

Devwebcl

Interesting. I haven't played it yet, just viewed the video, but it looks amazingly like Trailblazer.

Having played both, I personally think that the fact that this looks like Traiblazer is where the similarity ends. Yoomp is much more playable and I still can't stop playing it.

Well, I've done something I never thought I'd do; my 8-bit layed-up right now until a new OS chip arrives, but I just couldn't wait to try out Yoomp!. Especially after seeing the screenshots and video. So, I actually have installed and run an Atari emulator for the first time ever. AtariWin Plus v4.0. I can't wait to see this game on my 1200XL, converted for PAL. There is no doubt that their are some similarities between Yoomp! and Trailblazer, but Yoomp's has much better gameplay. I always wanted to like Trailblazer, and it looked good graphically for the day, but I just never had much fun with it. Though I may try it again. Anyway, I love Yoomp! I love the graphics, the tunnel DOES make it very different from Trailblazer's "trail" plane. Yoomp reminds me of the bonus stages in Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000 of the Jaguar in game control, but adds in the tiles that do different things. I always thought it would be cool to make a game out of all the 3D tunnel demos I've seen on the 8-bit, and though I was thinking of a tunnel shooter "Wormhole Wars" or something, Yoomp! also fits the bill nicely. Good stuff and an instant classic on the Atari 8-bit. Thanks to ALL ABBUCC contest programmers, I like all the games. I can't wait to play Yoomp on my real Atari 8-bit with a real Atari CX40 joystick.

P.S. to the author of Yoomp!: This games seems to be made for paddle controls though, like Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar (which has a code to enable paddle controls). I hope to see another version or sequel of Yoomp! that adds in the option for paddle (actually the driving controller type, not the breakout type) controllers. It would make controls easier and more intuitive, but levels could also be more complicated or "extreme" to still balance gameplay. Also, maybe a tunnel shooter or tunnel racing game could be made with this engine... :cool: 8-bit Atari S.T.U.N Runner anyone?!?

Edited by Gunstar

What settings are needed to make this game run on atari800 under Linux? All I get is a white screen with a progressbar that stops at about 4/5 bar length and doesn't grow or do other stuffs :/

Ha! You have BASIC ON!

In atari800 do: F1 -> Emulator Configuration -> Disable BASIC when booting Atari: (Set to Yes)

Hope that helps

P.S. to the author of Yoomp!: This games seems to be made for paddle controls though, like Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar (which has a code to enable paddle controls). I hope to see another version or sequel of Yoomp! that adds in the option for paddle (actually the driving controller type, not the breakout type) controllers. It would make controls easier and more intuitive, but levels could also be more complicated or "extreme" to still balance gameplay. Also, maybe a tunnel shooter or tunnel racing game could be made with this engine... :cool: 8-bit Atari S.T.U.N Runner anyone?!?

Currently, Yoomp! is designed that holding a joystick left/right takes you exactly one tile left/right in one jump. It's a design choice, and we like it, although we know, that larger sideways movement would make it easier.

With paddles, the maximum sideways speed would need to be larger, since we can't expect people to rotate the paddles at maximum speed all the time. That on the other hand would give paddle users some advantage over joystick users in some situations.

Finally, if I recall correctly, paddles don't allow continuous rotation in one direction, right? They stop at some moment, and you can only go back. For me that's prohibitive for Yoomp!, as it doesn't allow going "in spiral" :)

Thanks a lot for this awesome game!

Currently, Yoomp! is designed that holding a joystick left/right takes you exactly one tile left/right in one jump. It's a design choice, and we like it, although we know, that larger sideways movement would make it easier.

With paddles, the maximum sideways speed would need to be larger, since we can't expect people to rotate the paddles at maximum speed all the time. That on the other hand would give paddle users some advantage over joystick users in some situations.

Finally, if I recall correctly, paddles don't allow continuous rotation in one direction, right? They stop at some moment, and you can only go back. For me that's prohibitive for Yoomp!, as it doesn't allow going "in spiral" :)

That's why Gunstar suggested the driving controller. Actually, I have one so I can volunteer as a tester! ;)

Just a small question... would it be possible to rotate the tunnel itself isntead of moving ball around? Is the engine able to do that?

I think that would be a great variation indeed.

No idea if it is possible, or fun if it is done, but the idea seems to be cool indeed :D

Marius

What settings are needed to make this game run on atari800 under Linux? All I get is a white screen with a progressbar that stops at about 4/5 bar length and doesn't grow or do other stuffs :/

Ha! You have BASIC ON!

In atari800 do: F1 -> Emulator Configuration -> Disable BASIC when booting Atari: (Set to Yes)

Hope that helps

Thanks! That did help alot and it works now :)