IGNORED

mame vanguard where's the sound?

Derek

I only played Vanguard a few times back in the day, but I remember there was more sound than just the music. On MAME your ship firing makes no sound, there are no explosions when you hit an enemy, the voice is missing saying such things as 'rainbow zone,' and 'spike zone', as I recall. Are there 'samples' that I didn't get before all the ROMS disappeared? It would be more fun with some sound effects beyond the often silly music. Without the sounds, the 2600 version is a damn good port, but I remember more sounds. The ROM I have is by SNK 1981. I think the one I played had Centuri credited on the top panel. On that note, other Centuri games on MAME seem rather quiet, Route 16, THe Pit, Round-Up, none of them have much for sound.

You need the samples (put in "samples" directory oddly enough :)

http://www.mameworld.net/samples/

I loved Vanguard back in the day as well.... Enjoy!

Thanks! The voices are still missing, but there is more sound. Any idea why each time I use MAME I have to reset the buttons? It refuses to remember each "this game" setting, such as the four firing directions in vanguard are reset to the right button not being firing forward, etc. It is a total nuisance to have to reset these just to play a game such as Vanguard or Missile command where the left centre and right, never correspond to sensible buttons that I have assigned on my Logitech joystick.

I hesitate to move onto another version of MAME as each subsequent version seems to acknowledge less and less of the older games, for example, most won't play Junior Pac-Man. You get the error that part of the ROM is missing/corrupt. To play games like this I have to disable versions of MAME except for the one that will play Junior Pac, as they seem to sense each other and none will work with a previous version on the desktop?!?!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

To play games like this I have to disable versions of MAME except for the one that will play Junior Pac, as they seem to sense each other and none will work with a previous version on the desktop?!?!

Not sure exactly what you are doing there, but if you want to run newer/different versions of MAME you need a ROM set that coincides with the MAME revision level. As MAME has progressed some ROM sets have changed due to dump corrections or additions such as color proms.

My MAME cabinet is running .107 (yeah time to look at updating) and I was just playing around with something else, so here is Jr Pacman running in all its glory. :cool:

post-5887-1195105206_thumb.jpg

Hell, I'm still running .83 :) It's got all the games I love working just right.

Derek..... about having to reset the controls:

I remember I had that problem once..... I'm thinking maybe my cfg file was marked "read only". I'm sorry I don't remember more than that, it was a long time ago. Maybe poke around in there and see if any files are read only. Also open mame and go to options>directories and make sure that your directories are set to the correct path.

To play games like this I have to disable versions of MAME except for the one that will play Junior Pac, as they seem to sense each other and none will work with a previous version on the desktop?!?!

Not sure exactly what you are doing there, but if you want to run newer/different versions of MAME you need a ROM set that coincides with the MAME revision level. As MAME has progressed some ROM sets have changed due to dump corrections or additions such as color proms.

My MAME cabinet is running .107 (yeah time to look at updating) and I was just playing around with something else, so here is Jr Pacman running in all its glory. :cool:

post-5887-1195105206_thumb.jpg

Hmm. Rom sets changing. That just makes MAME more and more useless as the ROMS are no longer available to download. So anyone new to this can download MAME and has no access to ROMS so they have an emulator and no ROMS. Fun. At least I got in before all the copyright stuff kicked in making the roms unattainable :) I have one version on the computer, 36B, I think it is, that plays most of my games, and I wondered why some that when letting MAME "audit games" came through as complete ROMS, they didn't work. Now I know. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago I made a partial sample set replacing the old sounds in Mame. I even sent it in to Mame, might still be in there. Haven't played it in a few years (still got the board though), i'll check later to see if i still have the voice files.

Update: The link posted earlier contains all the samples you need.

Edited by sebastius

I wish I had simply kept my Mame cabinet at an earlier version of Mame myself. Keeping Mame up to date and all the old games that have been broken on the newer versions has been a nightmare. The silliest thing about it is that I really don't care about most of the post 80's games myself, and it's the earlier games that have taken a beating in the newer versions of Mame... :(

I wish I had simply kept my Mame cabinet at an earlier version of Mame myself. Keeping Mame up to date and all the old games that have been broken on the newer versions has been a nightmare. The silliest thing about it is that I really don't care about most of the post 80's games myself, and it's the earlier games that have taken a beating in the newer versions of Mame... :(

http://www.mame.net/oldrel.html or get there through MAMEWorld.net where the links to older versions are on the left side of the initial page. This is where I tried other versions and settled on this one: mame32b-036, it won't play Junior Pac, but recognizes many of the others that I treasure, but mysteriously some games have sound some days, and others they don't. No idea how to figure that out. The sound files are there, so why can't it find it today when I played the game with sound yesterday? Who knows. Wish there was a difinitive MAME that ignored the 90's games that I am not interested in as well. Perhaps someone could suggest which version recognized the most games without problems?

Anyway, every MAME back to Feb 97, the first one are all there. Though since you built a MAME cabinet, you probably already tried all this :)

Personally I'd like to have MAME running in a Ms. Pac-Man cabinet as that is my all time fave game! I did come across a multi-pac game in a bar once that I would have happily rolled out the door and taken home. Many games that involved pac man were on it, including a strange one with a fish instead of Pac. Pac and Pal was not there, but there were about 10 others to choose from. Ms. Pac sped up was just too easy. You fast, ghosts slow. They never sped up! Apparently that was a kit that just attached to the Rom set inside the game, as the cabinet looked like it was a simple Ms. Pac.

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm. Rom sets changing. That just makes MAME more and more useless as the ROMS are no longer available to download. So anyone new to this can download MAME and has no access to ROMS so they have an emulator and no ROMS. Fun. At least I got in before all the copyright stuff kicked in making the roms unattainable :) I have one version on the computer, 36B, I think it is, that plays most of my games, and I wondered why some that when letting MAME "audit games" came through as complete ROMS, they didn't work. Now I know. Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by this. I don't remmember the ROMs ever being available from their site. I remmember some time back, emuchina had all ROMs for download, sometimes even before the new MAME came out. Not sure if the site still exists, but the romsets (whole and updates) are still available on usenet and torrent sites.

I am just about to update to 122u1. Let's see. I have 121u2 (full set), 121 to 121u4 update, 121 to 122 update, and 122 to 122u1 update. These things are being released faster than I can update :0

Now to see if I remmember how to use clrmame.