IGNORED

Atari 2600 in Toy Hall of Fame

atari2600land

The Strong Children's Museum in Rochester (oh, excuse me, the *ahem* Strong National Museum of Play) is a fun place - I have been there before and it is quite possibly the best children's museum in the country (the fact that they have a Bill Gray's restaurant in an old diner car there is reason enough). I highly recommend it if you are into that sort of thing, as I am. They already had a working 2600 in their toy history part of the museum (playing Pac-Man, by the way) - they just had to move it down the hall to the "hall of fame" section. Hopefully they will have more than one working console now...

Edited by 128bytes

The Strong Children's Museum in Rochester (oh, excuse me, the *ahem* Strong National Museum of Play) is a fun place - I have been there before and it is quite possibly the best children's museum in the country (the fact that they have a Bill Gray's restaurant in an old diner car there is reason enough). I highly recommend it if you are into that sort of thing, as I am. They already had a working 2600 in their toy history part of the museum (playing Pac-Man, by the way) - they just had to move it down the hall to the "hall of fame" section. Hopefully they will have more than one working console now...

......Living in Buffalo, we are only an hour away, and we go at least twice a year. It makes for a great day out with the family or friends and their kids. Highly recommended!!!

minorleagueguy

I wonder if they'll ever be looking for sealed games to display. I have a few I'd sell to

them for a reasonable price. :D

I am going for sealed stuff...... :cool:

that's because you don't actually PLAY the games.

I have loose carts to play with.... :x

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have 2 problems with this.

1. I get sooooo insulted when people call any kind of video game a "toy" nowadays. When the Atari 2600 first came out that was fine, because it was not truly established as a form of media. Now, however, video gaming is a staple of entertainment in the world, much like movies and even books. Calling a video game a toy is like calling an early video camera a toy. It's not.

2. Pacman is in that list... Pacman... not Mrs., not Jr... Pacman. Not only did they list that title directly in between Space Invaders and Frogger, but they also put a commercial for it at the bottom. You think they could have done enough research to realize that Pacman was equal to or reater than the amount of suckage that was found in E.T. GRAAAAHH!!!!

I call my motorcycle a toy. It provides me with plenty of fun and excitement, yet it's definitely not childish or kid-like in any way. If someone else calls my motorcycle a toy I don't get upset.

Why would I treat my 2600 any different?

• Like 1

I call my motorcycle a toy. It provides me with plenty of fun and excitement, yet it's definitely not childish or kid-like in any way. If someone else calls my motorcycle a toy I don't get upset.

A motorcycle does not allow a person to view media. A motorcycle can be a toy, yes, depending on how you look at it. But would you call your TV a toy? What about a DVD player or VCR? A book mabe? Not toys, and I liken video gaming more to them than a motorcycle. My point is not in whether or not something provides entertainment, but how.

Edited by Awesomepants

2. Pacman is in that list... Pacman... not Mrs., not Jr... Pacman. Not only did they list that title directly in between Space Invaders and Frogger, but they also put a commercial for it at the bottom. You think they could have done enough research to realize that Pacman was equal to or reater than the amount of suckage that was found in E.T. GRAAAAHH!!!!

The Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man (albeit a bad translation) is responsible for hundreds of thousands of sales of the unit. Arguably, Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 version helped solidify Atari 2600's iconic status.

I remember when Pac-Man came out for the Atari. I was 10. I didn't care that the translation was bad; I just thought it was awesome that I could pay Pac-Man at home!

A motorcycle does not allow a person to view media. A motorcycle can be a toy, yes, depending on how you look at it. But would you call your TV a toy? What about a DVD player or VCR? A book mabe? Not toys, and I liken video gaming more to them than a motorcycle. My point is not in whether or not something provides entertainment, but how.

What if it weren't whether or not, or how, something provides entertainment... but WHAT entertainment?

It provides games. Like a board game, a rubber ball, or dice. Method of interaction with video games, balls, dice? Playing.

A video game (despite most nowadays having cinematic cut-scenes and comparable movie-like budgets) is still a game, or a toy. Board games can also be considered toys. Video games are simply extensions of board games. They have sets of rules that the player must follow when moving their piece. If Monopoly came with box that hooked up to your TV that showed Mr. Moneybags handing your Schnauzer a bag of cash every time somebody landed on your St. Charles Place that would not make it less of a game. Video games are toys. Movies, books, and music are not toys. They are (arguably) works of art on their respective mediums that do not allow user-interaction. TVs, VCRs, DVD players, etc. are not toys. They are appliances. Not kitchen appliances, more like consumer electronic appliances. They allow passive forms of entertainment not bounded by rules or user interaction, until (in the case of the TV) you hook a toy up to it. The TV is simply the outlet for the toy, or video game.

Toys provide entertainment and require constant user input and are created for the purpose of interactive enjoyment.

Hopefully all of that makes sense. I'm at work so I had to type fast. :P But those are my thoughts and I 'm sticking to 'em! :D

Toys provide entertainment and require constant user input and are created for the purpose of interactive enjoyment.

Yes, toys do require constant input, but they also require complete input. What I mean is, a video game, like movies, TV and books, creates a scenario that you immerse yourself in. That scenario is define by visuals, words, and the rules that you must abide by along with the goal. A toy however requires complete input, the rules that are there can be changed, there is no definative story, no goal unless you make one. Board games are toys yes, and they are similar to both, but they do not create a scenario that you can immerse yourself in. Have you ever played monopoly and completely immersed yourself in the experience like you can when you are in the movies or reading a book? Probably not.

What if it weren't whether or not, or how, something provides entertainment... but WHAT entertainment?

It provides games. Like a board game, a rubber ball, or dice. Method of interaction with video games, balls, dice? Playing

A game is like an environment, one you have little control over. Dice and rubber balls do not create an environment.

They are (arguably) works of art on their respective mediums that do not allow user-interaction. TVs, VCRs, DVD players, etc. are not toys. They are appliances. Not kitchen appliances, more like consumer electronic appliances. They allow passive forms of entertainment not bounded by rules or user interaction, until (in the case of the TV) you hook a toy up to it. The TV is simply the outlet for the toy, or video game.

TV's and books do require user interaction. They require you focus, not physical interaction, true, but interaction. You can passively play a video game, especially with all of todays party games and whatnot. That said, I do believe that video games are works of "art" in the same way that movies were back in their infancy. People just don't appreciate them as art because it is a fairly new medium and it has not been established as art by the majority of the public. This is because of the misconception that they are toys. Even toys are art! If someone put time and effort into designing and making anything, it should be considered an art. A console is also an appliance, like a VCR or DVD, that hooks up to the computer.

Im not angry guys, I'm just defending my views because I believe video gaming should get the credit it deserves.

It's a toy. Toys don't require complete input. A windup or battery operated walking robot are toys. Once you turn it on or wind it up, you require no input at all. You just watch it. In the Krause Toys and Prices, for the longest time they listed banks. Not sure if they do anymore. They list Viewmaster as toys, which would be similar to your comparison of movies. Your viewing pictures. One is a still, the other is moving. Not sure why you're getting all bent out of shape over this.

Phil

TVs, VCRs, DVD players, etc. are not toys. They are appliances. Not kitchen appliances, more like consumer electronic appliances.

Or as they say in Japan, "black things" (= consumer electronics) and "white things" (= kitchen appliances).

:lol: Nice.

@Awesomepants: Video game consoles are toys. I don't mean that in a belittling way. Calling something a toy isn't demeaning. Toys are fun. Toys allow us to break away from daily routine and interact in a fun setting. It is what it is. I think associating video games with toys actually does the industry a service. Toys == fun. When video games cease to be fun, they will cease to be toys.