IGNORED

Preference as to WHICH Lynx?

Grundy

Hello all. I have scoured around here a bit, as well as a few other sites, and didnt find a whole lot of info as far as 'comparisons' of the two Lynx units. I personally have a Lynx II and although it suits me just fine, (loud, clear speaker, nearly flawless screen, etc..) Im curious as to the original Lynx. Outside of speaker comparisons and the obvious cosmetic differences, I havent heard much else. Im looking for any and all comments and opinions as to things like:

-Screen size/quality

-Backlight quality

-Battery usage

-Size of the original system (I have large hands, would the Lynx I better suit me?)

-Overall Durability

-Difficulty obtaining (I'm assuming that the Lynx II is more readily available..or?)

-Etc.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

:)

-Joe

Most of the differences are listed in the FAQ:

http://www.atariage.com/Lynx/faq/index.html

Which is better is a matter of individual subjective opinion.

As far as availability, both versions are still readily available NOS.

Thanks Gregory, informative little read there. :) I guess I wont be after a Lynx I anytime soon...except maybe for the novelty of having both systems. As to the GBA, we have two. My only real beef with the system is that even with the backlight switched ON, the screen still appears bleak and washed-out. :( I had heard that the Pearl Pink model has a "stronger backlight"..wonder if thats true? I just bought myself one of the CastleVania games, and although its GREAT thus far, I wish the screen was more VIEWable..especially with games that are dark in nature, ah well..

-JD

the newer GBA SP's have a different back light despite what color, just look for "newer, brighter backlight" on the box.

EDIT: I may be mistaken but I believe the original SP's were front lit right? That was the reason for the washing out of colors.

Edited by Atari5200

I guess I'm in the minority, as I much prefer the Lynx I - partly because I find it more comfortable to hold, partly because I much prefer the D-Pad on the Lynx II to the fat cross they put in the Lynx II, and partly because I've a sentimental attachment to my first Lynx that the latter model doesn't hold for me... At any rate, I always prefer to use my Lynx I over my Lynx II - it just feels better to me! :)

I guess I'm in the minority, as I much prefer the Lynx I

Me too. The Lynx I can close the door and therefore it looks like a finished product. In the Lynx II you have to look at ugly components sticking out of the back.

But the Lynx I has something wrong in the firmware as it sometimes hangs in the middle of a display cycle if you access the data in a wrong way. I remember a few homebrews with this problem. The code works perfectly on the Lynx II but the screen freezes or becomes blank in the middle of a game in Lynx I.

I also prefer the straight glass in front of a Lynx I to the curved plastic in Lynx II.

--

Karri

i also prefer the lynx 1 ,feels more solid and it doesnt appear to get the d-pad fault that all lynx 2's seem to get at some point.

i also prefer the sound on the mk 1 ,it sound much louder and deeper than the tinny mk2 speaker imo ,it being mono only doesnt bother me in the least.

i ahve both versions of the lynx but the mk1 is the 1 i always use.