IGNORED

Zune catching on?

moycon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071117/ap_on_..._zunes_sold_out

Interesting.

I have a Zune and have been perfectly satisfied with the product as is. There have been a few things I wish were done differently, but for the most part I like it very much. I will be curious to see the changes made in the new software. I honestly never though the world would see an article about the Zune selling out and being hard to find. Just never seemed like the product was that popular with consumers. Anyone else have the Zune?

Selling more than the retched numbers the previous models sold? Sure. Catching on? Hardly. I've still actually yet to see someone here at work who owns a Zune. Most people have iPods, but a good number of them have other 3rd party models. Not one of them have a Zune however.

Tempest

Selling more than the retched numbers the previous models sold?

Tempest

Not just selling more...Selling out, and yes the Zune didn't exactly seem to catch on, that is why it is interesting to me. Although like I stated, me personally I love the Zune.

Generally items of this sort don't sell out unless the consumer really likes the product and it's in demand, like you said, the Zune sold "retched" numbers, I thought.

Could it be that the Zune might be a contender? That it might be attracting a following? That others might be warming up to the Zune?

Selling out of product definately seems to suggest something is up with the Zunes popularity.

Honestly I wouldn't base the verdict on how many people at your work have one...unless everyone in the world works where you work. :cool:

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find the new Zunes until I read a similar article the other day. After updating my software to the new version, I have no need for a new one but I will get one at some point. The Zune may have a really good chance with the new design and the fact that many ipod owners are starting to have enough of Apples BS with the ipod line. I have said it before, owning many ipods from just about every generation and owning the Zune, the Zune is a way better product all the way around.

For the uninformed, what are the main differences between the two?

Not a whole lot really. The new ipod Touch has wifi internet and a touchscreen, the Zune doesn't.

Personal comparisons from me:

MS advertises real battery use time, Apple always bullshits about it.

Zune has much better sound, no matter what earbuds, headphones, mp3 quality, etc to me.

Zune is bulkier and heavier

Ipods have not been reliable, no matter what type of use and 3 of my 5 were crap from day 1.

The ipods always look awesome but are fragile. Not a bad thing as they are not a toy. My advice would be to scratch the hell outta it asap, get that over with and then just enjoy it for how it works, not how it looks.

Apple is more intersted in you always buying a new model (nothing wrong with this) and will rape you on repair costs for you existing one (something wrong with this)

Ipods overall battery life is absolute crap. If you want it fixed by Apple, it's like $60. It will come back with another crap battery that you may get a year out of. Or, rip it open and do it yourself for about a third of the cost and a better battery

itunes, which you use with an ipod, has way more music, movie, tv choices than the Zune marketplace and is better overall. Both units official software are decent.

I am sure someone will tell me they have never had an ipod go bad. A quick check on the net will give you thousands of places that offer batteries and replacement services, repair services, and many complaints of overall less than stellar quality with an ipod. Again, this is a product that they want you to upgrade so it's just the way it is. The Zune is too new and not as popular to even know if it's crap or not. Or maybe because there are a gazillion ipods out there that it just makes sense that you will hear of more issues. Who knows. All I know is that if I didn't use Nike+, I would not own another ipod again.

For the uninformed, what are the main differences between the two?

Not a whole lot really. The new ipod Touch has wifi internet and a touchscreen, the Zune doesn't.

Personal comparisons from me:

MS advertises real battery use time, Apple always bullshits about it.

Zune has much better sound, no matter what earbuds, headphones, mp3 quality, etc to me.

Zune is bulkier and heavier

Ipods have not been reliable, no matter what type of use and 3 of my 5 were crap from day 1.

The ipods always look awesome but are fragile. Not a bad thing as they are not a toy. My advice would be to scratch the hell outta it asap, get that over with and then just enjoy it for how it works, not how it looks.

Apple is more intersted in you always buying a new model (nothing wrong with this) and will rape you on repair costs for you existing one (something wrong with this)

Ipods overall battery life is absolute crap. If you want it fixed by Apple, it's like $60. It will come back with another crap battery that you may get a year out of. Or, rip it open and do it yourself for about a third of the cost and a better battery

itunes, which you use with an ipod, has way more music, movie, tv choices than the Zune marketplace and is better overall. Both units official software are decent.

I am sure someone will tell me they have never had an ipod go bad. A quick check on the net will give you thousands of places that offer batteries and replacement services, repair services, and many complaints of overall less than stellar quality with an ipod. Again, this is a product that they want you to upgrade so it's just the way it is. The Zune is too new and not as popular to even know if it's crap or not. Or maybe because there are a gazillion ipods out there that it just makes sense that you will hear of more issues. Who knows. All I know is that if I didn't use Nike+, I would not own another ipod again.

Thanks!

Apparently the new Zune 80 comes with some really good earbuds. They are not the same as the ones that come with the smaller flash versions.

I can attest to the quaity of the Zune 80's earbuds. They are the same ones that were selling as the premium Zune earbuds for $50 last yaer (any maybe still are?)

I can't say anything about the Zune's actual audio quality compared to an iPod. I've never used either as a portable music device. I have my HTC phone for that.

Not just selling more...Selling out, and yes the Zune didn't exactly seem to catch on, that is why it is interesting to me. Although like I stated, me personally I love the Zune.

Generally items of this sort don't sell out unless the consumer really likes the product and it's in demand, like you said, the Zune sold "retched" numbers, I thought.

Keep in mind the article doesn't tell us how many Zunes were produced, and indeed indicates that Microsoft had focused on the smaller versions of the zune. (Only the 80gig Zunes are out of stock) It could easily be a case of limited supply (possibly even intentionally so) to make it appear to be in hot demand.

I never trust articles like this for determining popularity of a product unless we get some hard figures giving us actual numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

I can tell you that the Zune software is very nice. I'm a big fan at least.

I have an iPod. Ancient by today's standards, a 3rd generation 10GB that my wife gave me as a Christmas present a few years ago. It's honestly never really given me any trouble. Yes, the battery is shot. But I only use it in the car anyway and I have a travel charger, so that's never been an issue for me.

I bought a Zune 30 (well, it was just a Zune at the time!) for my wife as a Christmas present last year. It wouldn't exactly be fair for me to directly compare the two, as the Zune is light years ahead of a 3rd Generation iPod, which was the one just before video was added, whereas our Zune has this beautiful color screen on it.

However, I will say that iTunes is junk compared to the updated Zune software. Now, before I get flamed, let me simply say why: I have gotten so frustrated trying to get iTunes to not seperate my albums into 'seperate' albums when different songs on the same album are sung by different artists.

Example: my Donnie Darko soundtrack. In the Zune software, it's simply automatically loaded as the Donnie Darko album. Therefore if browse my music

by album, there is ONE Donnie Darko Album, with one piece of album artwork, etc.

In iTunes, when I browse my albums there will be a seperate album cover representing EACH artist on that album. It's absolute BS! I tried everything to keep iTunes from doing that, and it simply won't. Quite frankly, I'm sure that there is probably some easy thing that would prevent it. But fact of the matter is that I really tried everything, so it can't be all that obvious of a fix. And Zune didn't do that automatically. I mean hell, who would want their music collection presented in that manner?

I will say that as far as the hardware is concerned, the new iPod Touch is the prettiest digital music player out there. But there's no way I'm paying that much money for either 8 or 16 GB's of storage.

Of course they're selling! Microsoft is dumping, a classic (and supposedly illegal) sales tactic in the world of electronics. You build a product that costs hundreds of dollars to manufacture, then you turn around and sell it for much less than it costs to produce it. People fall for it every time, and who can blame them? They're getting a 30G media player for the price of a barebones music player with a small fraction of the storage.

Of course they're selling! Microsoft is dumping, a classic (and supposedly illegal) sales tactic in the world of electronics. You build a product that costs hundreds of dollars to manufacture, then you turn around and sell it for much less than it costs to produce it. People fall for it every time, and who can blame them? They're getting a 30G media player for the price of a barebones music player with a small fraction of the storage.

The only flaw in your logic is that the 80 Gig model is selling extremely well also (Initial shipments sold out).

Pull up the listing for the black 80 Gig Zune on Amazon. This is about a month after it's launch.

What does it say?

Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).

I'd say in the space of 2 minutes later (The amount of time it took to check on other models which apparently black is the only color for now) now what does it say??

Availability: In stock on December 13, 2007. Order it now.

Heh

Please list all these small barebones music players with a fraction of the storage that cost $249.99. :cool:

You are right about one thing though Jess. Now's the time to pick up a great 30Gig MP3 player for cheap, cheap.

Any time a new product comes out you can find great deals on it's predecessor.

Edited by moycon

Jess - I have to ask you where you're getting that hypothesis from? I mean, do you have an itemized workup of the cost to produce an xxGB Zune?

I mean, if dumping is the case, what is Apple doing, huh? An 80GB iPod Classic is going for $250 right now at the Apple Store. That happens to be the EXACT price of an 80GB Zune at Best Buy, as evidenced from the BestBuy.com website.

Just because some brands are more expensive then others, and some have different features then others, I don't buy this conspiracy theory dumping thing.

The 30GB is going for $200 now, $50 less than it cost when it was introduced, but that makes full sense: electronics always go down in price after being on the market for a while. Hell, Apple lowered the price of their iPhone like by one or two hundred dollars just a month or two after being on the market!

I have the original model (now the Zune30). I love it! Picked up a super cheap refurb right after the new models were announced. The new firmware is fantastic as well.

For those interested, only the older model of the Zune is bulky. The newer models are much slimmer. They're pretty much Ipod sized. Not to mention they have the new touch pad.

No WMP connectivity is the deal breaker for me. I have all my MP3s in WMP, and I like to rip my own CDs with WMP. My wife has one of those cheap 1GB little MP3 players, and works flawlessly with Media Player.

Do you mean that all of your music is ripped as WMA? I'm pretty sure the Zune can play WMA files unless they are Plays For Sure protected.

No WMP connectivity is the deal breaker for me. I have all my MP3s in WMP, and I like to rip my own CDs with WMP. My wife has one of those cheap 1GB little MP3 players, and works flawlessly with Media Player.

Do you mean that all of your music is ripped as WMA? I'm pretty sure the Zune can play WMA files unless they are Plays For Sure protected.

No, I ripped my music to MP3 using WMP 10. Then I connect the cheap 1GB Mp3 and WMP picks it up to transfer the songs. Zune doesn't work with WMP (according to some reviews)

Zune doesn't work with WMP (according to some reviews)

They are wrong.

I've ripped my entire CD collection using WMP. Just save the file as an MP3 with the quality set to it's highest. Works like a charm.

So the Zune does sync with WMP to transfer files?

From Wikipedia "Although the Zune software was originally a modified version of Windows Media Player, the Zune device was designed to only work with the Zune software. Zune software requires Windows XP or Vista, but can run on other versions of Windows with minor modifications."

Another review... "But don't expect to use Zune with Windows Media Player 11. I double-checked on this yesterday, and a Microsoft representative confirmed that the new program isn't designed to work with the Zune device. WMP 11 also doesn't include the Zune Marketplace. That's in keeping with Microsoft's separation of its new portable media player from the existing PlaysForSure devices and services." Link http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microso...ives/108143.asp

Another link http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost....98&SiteID=1

Edited by Osbo

Oh...No that is correct Osbo. Sorry

I thought you were saying that Zune wouldn't play files created from WMP, like if you had your CD collection on you PC ripped using the WMP it wouldn't play on the Zune when you transfered them over.

But yes I believe you need the Zune software to sync up your Zune to the PC. (To be honest can't says I've ever fiddled with it)

You can also use the Zune software as your primary media player, but I do not.