IGNORED

видео игра

PressureCooker2600

• 4 weeks later...

Yep. I also studied Russian for three years, spent a week in Moscow and got by quite well. That is 14 years ago. These days, I have enough problems with saying simple sentences, but have kept all my schoolbooks and dictionary in hope that if I start to read through it, most of the skills will come back. Russian was fun to study for the first two years, until the grammar hit me in the head like a brick. And that is despite the level of grammar we studied was only the icing of the cake for what would come if I went on to university levels.

But I did buy a handheld game from Elektronika while I visited Moscow: Explorers of Space. I can't recall how much I paid, but supposedly I got it cheaper because I asked for the price in Russian and paid with Roubles instead of asking in English and pay with USD.

Edited by carlsson

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice!

Did the original message say "Love from Russia, I know my Russian is not very good, See you later"?

Where did you get the Russian script to use in the forums? I've studied Russian, worked in Russia, and love any opportunity to use it again.

There are lot of Russian speakers from Russia and Ukraine, who I can occassionaly speak with, where I live now. They're all very gracious and friendly to put up with my bad grammar.

Speaking Russian, or at least attempting to, while in Russia, definitely gets appreciation there. I once got invited to a stranger's wedding party in Suzdal just because I was trying to learn Russian. And it was one great party! Very fun and jolly.

Bydt zdarov!

littleman jack

My family came from Ukraine and speak Ukrainian.

I do have a few Russian aquaintances and we tolerate each other's language differences fairly well it just takes a little while to translate each other's words since while some are similar there are many differences. I "was lucky" went to 6 years of Ukrainian school as a kid but have had to brush up with a few words here and there when talking with Bean.

They charge exorbitant amounts for Ukrainian kids DVDs and VHS tapes (only the vhs are dubbed in English) and I have also heard they charge a small fortune for Russian kids tapes as well as books.

While IMO my family's language here is English first, if families want their cultural heritage passed down to their kids regardless of nationality they should make it more affordable and easier. It's difficult to retain any language skills if you don't have anyone to practice with either and I am the last one in my family to speak Ukrainian. I guess it doesn't help that both my father and I didn't have siblings, lol. Studies have also shown that the further down in generations the less of a heritage language they speak and the more of a primary language is used instead.

Be healthy as well Jack. :)