IGNORED

Diamond and ATOS

Guitarman

I figured for people interested in the limited availability of GUI systems for the 8bit, I would post these in one place so they can be enjoyed. The first is the Diamond OS by Reeves software. The zip file has 2 versions of the DiamondOS rom and 2-3 of the Diamond software that was also available. It even has the documentation and development info for the system, along with a forum posting from Alan Reeves about the roms and ATRs.

DIAMOND.zip

Next is a link to ATOS, to big to upload here. The zip file has 4 different ways to install/use ATOS, both on a HDD or in emulation.

ATOS

Enjoy!!!

• 1 year later...

Thank you thank you thank you! The ATOS site is dead and I thought I'd never get to play with it.

I figured for people interested in the limited availability of GUI systems for the 8bit, I would post these in one place so they can be enjoyed. The first is the Diamond OS by Reeves software. The zip file has 2 versions of the DiamondOS rom and 2-3 of the Diamond software that was also available. It even has the documentation and development info for the system, along with a forum posting from Alan Reeves about the roms and ATRs.

DIAMOND.zip

Next is a link to ATOS, to big to upload here. The zip file has 4 different ways to install/use ATOS, both on a HDD or in emulation.

ATOS

Enjoy!!!

DIAMOND.zip

ATOS

Enjoy!!!

i purchased the Diamond system back when it came out circa 1990... i thought it would be an alternative to DOS, but it became more of a novelty.... i traded the cartridge for a book called Atari Roots... i think MAC65 too.... best deal i ever made

Well,

I think I have approx 50 different GUI`s in my collection. Thought I already posted (most of) them... Will take a look this evening and see what I can find at home. Afaik, upload at atari-age is now limited to 10MB and if you zip ATOS it will fit into this space...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Well,

I think I have approx 50 different GUI`s in my collection. Thought I already posted (most of) them... Will take a look this evening and see what I can find at home. Afaik, upload at atari-age is now limited to 10MB and if you zip ATOS it will fit into this space...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Which one do you think is the best? Mostly I just like to do file operations with one....not so much interested in Applications specifically for the GUI (diamond paint, diamond write for example).

And would your opinion vary by Dos? Which is the best under Sparta? MyDos?

Err well,

I don`t use any of the GUI`s for the A8 regularly. Most of these GUI`s use so much memory or CPU power there is not much left you can do - only very few of them can load Games (ML) or Demos. And most of them are also very restricted when it comes to applications that were not especially written for them...

So, whenever I want to copy a disk, I use a sector copier, to copy multiple files I use a multi-file-copier (or a file-manager), to load graphic files I use graphic viewers, for sound files I use sound players, etc. - none of these things is loaded from within a GUI by me, they are always loaded from a DOS or gamedos. Since I don`t do any "serious" things on the A8, I don`t use word processors, databases, calc programs etc. that often (and if I do, I load them from DOS)...

Anyways, here are some of the GUI`s I have in my collection (some of the smaller ones contain more than one version on the same disk, e.g. Diamond GOS, GOS, GOE, etc.):

- ATOS 720k: the preview version of ATOS that came on a 720k image...

- ATOS 16 MB: the full version of ATOS that came on a 16MB image

- BOSS XL: the first in the BOSS series, this one should run fine on 64k machines

- BOSS XE: the second one in the BOSS series, this one requires a min. of 128k to run

- BOSS X: the third (and last) one in the BOSS series, requires a min. of 128k ro tun

- BOSS 16MB: all BOSS X programs + extras on one big 16MB image

- DGOS: all disk-based Diamond GOS versions and variants (by Alan Reeve) I have

- GOS + GOE: all GOS and GOE versions + variants (by Total Control Systems) I have;

note: GOE requires an ST-mouse in port A or B (I think it was port A, but I am not sure now)

- TRS 720k: the preview of TRS desktop that came on a 720k image

- GUI1: various desktops and GUI`s, most of them are just something to "play-around" or good for a demonstration

- GUI2: more (various) desktops and GUI`s, some of them are so old, they require the OLD 800 OS, some require

a certain DOS like DOS 2.0s or DOS 2.5...

Of course, allthough most of the GUI`s are not for serious use, one can still learn some basic programming from them (e.g. from the ones programmed in Basic or TB XL)... -Andreas Koch.

P.S.: I have not sorted (cleaned) nor updated a lot of these GUI`s for quite some time now, so there might be some double images or there might be some sort of "chaos" on some of the images...

Please download BOSS-X only from this address: http://andymanone.dyndns.org/atarixle/download/index.htm

all images in Andreas' archives are corrupted, german and english files are mixed up, BOSS-XE - Apps are mixed up with BOSS-X images ... incompatibel BOSS-XE drivers are mixed up with BOSS-X system disks ... these images do not represent the products "BOSS-XL", "BOSS-XE", and "BOSS-X" ... .

thx

atarixle

Please download BOSS-X only from this address: http://andymanone.dyndns.org/atarixle/download/index.htm

all images in Andreas' archives are corrupted, german and english files are mixed up, BOSS-XE - Apps are mixed up with BOSS-X images ... incompatibel BOSS-XE drivers are mixed up with BOSS-X system disks ... these images do not represent the products "BOSS-XL", "BOSS-XE", and "BOSS-X" ... .

thx

atarixle

Well,

my BOSS images are not corrupted - they are personalized !! At the time when I was working with BOSS, I copied everything together which I found usefull, so I often copied files from the BOSS X disks to the BOSS XE disks and vice versa... e.g. one version contained drivers for animations (and some sample animations), the other version did not - so I copied the drivers and the sample animations onto all versions (and I did the same with applications and other programs)...

But yes, as said before, the images are now very chaotic, completely unsorted (and partially untested, so some files and programs will not work) and they do not represent the official products that you are presenting on your site for free download... so, I have removed the stuff here now, ok ?!? Which means, all atarians interested in the BOSS programs by Mirko Sobe should visit the official download site listed above... -Andreas Koch.

I'm not a fan of GUI OS shells on 8-bit systems, IMO the RAM requirements tend to outweigh the benefit.

I tend to agree, which is why I decided not - for example - to write another word processor for the Diamond GOS cart. GEM-like desktops look pretty on the 8-bit, but they're usually little more than glorified application launchers because none of the popular programs were written to run under the GUI. However, any kind of WYSIWYG word processor is, I think, going to benefit greatly from some kind of menu/dialogue based interface and since it's running in hi-res mode to start with, I want to embed the GUI into the application. Diamond GOS would have been a good starting point, but I was half way through writing my own ten years ago. Sadly, I've lost all the source code... :(

Edited by flashjazzcat

Didn't the author of Diamond show up a while ago on this forum? I'm going to need to build a proprietary GUI into one of my apps at some stage in the future and the source code for Diamond would be a great springboard. It's probably a tall order, though...

Alan Reeves did pop in a while back. I have a message from him from Feb 2006. He mentioned some of the happenings during the creation of Diamond.

... so, I have removed the stuff here now, ok ?!? Which means, all atarians interested in the BOSS programs by Mirko Sobe should visit the official download site listed above... -Andreas Koch.

Sure it's ok ... you shouldn't have to remove this ... but the official link was a good idea.

Btw., the latest version (March 07) contains almost all drivers/viewers I ever wrote - including new BOSS-X versions of the oldest BOSS-XE drivers/viewers.

Personalization of the BOSS-X system is only nessesary if you use "big" drives ... the normal disk-version comes with viewers for the most common file-types.

Mirko

DIAMOND.zip

ATOS

Enjoy!!!

Thank you so much for thes files!

Has anyone put the ATOS on an SD card for SIO2SD? I want an unarc'd / installed version that I can just copy the ATOS folders and run it.

• 13 years later...
1 hour ago, Bikerbob said:

That one only has the program. there was a link (long gone) that had all the docs as well. Would be a shame to loose all the docs.

James

That ATOS link at the top of the page worked for me today.  I got a security warning because probably certificates, but I just did "download anyway".

Like 8mb or something.

• Like 1

Ah, ok... sorry.  I'm just getting "off work" since we had some prod issues so I downloaded it, but  hadn't looked at it... I just noticed there was like a 6mb difference between the file sizes between the one at the top of the page and the one Beeblebrox posted.  Might take a look at them both later.

15 hours ago, Tillek said:

Ah, ok... sorry.  I'm just getting "off work" since we had some prod issues so I downloaded it, but  hadn't looked at it... I just noticed there was like a 6mb difference between the file sizes between the one at the top of the page and the one Beeblebrox posted.  Might take a look at them both later.

Yes the 2nd one gives you 3 ways to unarc the files, and is very comprehensive.. I just know from everywhere I have looked that there is a manual and tutorial, and they are not in that archive.

James

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2009 at 6:13 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Err well,

I don`t use any of the GUI`s for the A8 regularly. Most of these GUI`s use so much memory or CPU power there is not much left you can do - only very few of them can load Games (ML) or Demos. And most of them are also very restricted when it comes to applications that were not especially written for them...

So, whenever I want to copy a disk, I use a sector copier, to copy multiple files I use a multi-file-copier (or a file-manager), to load graphic files I use graphic viewers, for sound files I use sound players, etc. - none of these things is loaded from within a GUI by me, they are always loaded from a DOS or gamedos. Since I don`t do any "serious" things on the A8, I don`t use word processors, databases, calc programs etc. that often (and if I do, I load them from DOS)...

Anyways, here are some of the GUI`s I have in my collection (some of the smaller ones contain more than one version on the same disk, e.g. Diamond GOS, GOS, GOE, etc.):

- ATOS 720k: the preview version of ATOS that came on a 720k image...

- ATOS 16 MB: the full version of ATOS that came on a 16MB image

- BOSS XL: the first in the BOSS series, this one should run fine on 64k machines

- BOSS XE: the second one in the BOSS series, this one requires a min. of 128k to run

- BOSS X: the third (and last) one in the BOSS series, requires a min. of 128k ro tun

- BOSS 16MB: all BOSS X programs + extras on one big 16MB image

- DGOS: all disk-based Diamond GOS versions and variants (by Alan Reeve) I have

- GOS + GOE: all GOS and GOE versions + variants (by Total Control Systems) I have;

note: GOE requires an ST-mouse in port A or B (I think it was port A, but I am not sure now)

- TRS 720k: the preview of TRS desktop that came on a 720k image

- GUI1: various desktops and GUI`s, most of them are just something to "play-around" or good for a demonstration

- GUI2: more (various) desktops and GUI`s, some of them are so old, they require the OLD 800 OS, some require

a certain DOS like DOS 2.0s or DOS 2.5...

Of course, allthough most of the GUI`s are not for serious use, one can still learn some basic programming from them (e.g. from the ones programmed in Basic or TB XL)... -Andreas Koch.

P.S.: I have not sorted (cleaned) nor updated a lot of these GUI`s for quite some time now, so there might be some double images or there might be some sort of "chaos" on some of the images...

The version of GOE by Total Control System is that a demo or full version.

1 hour ago, Atari8man2004 said:

The version of GOE by Total Control System is that a demo or full version.

There never was a full version of GOE, so all versions are demo only.

Afaik, the full version should have been a cartridge, just like Diamond GOS, but it never appeared.

Have not tested any of the Diamond ROMs with the AVG cart, but maybe all you have to do to make them work is convert them from ROM into CAR ?