IGNORED

Basic Subroutines?

Larry

Every time I write a new Basic program, I pretty much "start from scratch." That's frequently inefficient and makes things more difficult than they need to be.

Is anyone aware of any archive of pre-written Basic subroutines? Or would anyone be interested in starting a thread (maybe with a "sticky") for such subroutines? I certainly have a few to contribute. I'm really not talking about ML USR routines, although that might be a separate section.

-Larry

No, not aware.

But, the nature of 8-bit machines usually dictates starting from scratch anyway since memory is so tight.

Unlike modern machines, where you can include 500K runtime libraries containing dozens of routines, of which 90% might never be called, but not worry one bit about it.

• Like 1

No, not aware.

But, the nature of 8-bit machines usually dictates starting from scratch anyway since memory is so tight.

Unlike modern machines, where you can include 500K runtime libraries containing dozens of routines, of which 90% might never be called, but not worry one bit about it.

Hi Rybags-

True enough, but that isn't quite what I had in mind. I would have the subroutines LISTed, each as a file on an ATR image. This isn't as cohesive or useful as what you mention, but avoids the size problem and allows individual renumbering, etc as required.

-Larry

Yes, You need to find the book entitled, "Atari BASIC Faster & Better".

The author provided line-numbering standards, a work methodology, sources for the libraries, and documentation of the sources.

The book came with a floppy filled with useful BASIC subroutines. it is probably a fairly rare ATARI book.

Here's the info:

ISBN 0 936200 29 4

Carl M. Evans

1983 IJG, Inc. (publisher)

L8R,

UNIXcoffee928

• Like 1

Yes, You need to find the book entitled, "Atari BASIC Faster & Better".

The author provided line-numbering standards, a work methodology, sources for the libraries, and documentation of the sources.

The book came with a floppy filled with useful BASIC subroutines. it is probably a fairly rare ATARI book.

Here's the info:

ISBN 0 936200 29 4

Carl M. Evans

1983 IJG, Inc. (publisher)

L8R,

UNIXcoffee928

Hi-

Thanks for the suggestion. I have that book -- I have to dig it out and go through it. Haven't looked at it in years.

-Larry

You're welcome.

Ha, well, then it should be fairly easy for you to find it! This is, of course, dependent upon the layers of clutter that you are dealing with, but, in any case, you'll find it faster than the next person.

= )

For those of you without it on a dusty shelf in the attic, here are some reviews:

http://www.page6.org/archive/issue_16/page_35a.htm

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n5/reviews.html

Get it from Amazon here.

If anyone has an .ATR of the disk, please attach it for the benefit of others, since I doubt that you'll get an intact floppy with the book from Amazon.

You're welcome.

Ha, well, then it should be fairly easy for you to find it! This is, of course, dependent upon the layers of clutter that you are dealing with, but, in any case, you'll find it faster than the next person.

= )

For those of you without it on a dusty shelf in the attic, here are some reviews:

http://www.page6.org/archive/issue_16/page_35a.htm

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n5/reviews.html

Get it from Amazon here.

If anyone has an .ATR of the disk, please attach it for the benefit of others, since I doubt that you'll get an intact floppy with the book from Amazon.

I have all the programs from this book on my drive somewhere. I'll try to hunt them down and post them.

Allan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Machine Language subroutines are also very helpful to have for BASIC programs. I have a commercial collection on disk at home. If you're interested, I can upload later. I believe it's two full disks of routintines. I also have some useful ones from magazine articles that I have used quite a bit. Wish I still had my original collection. I hand-typed tons of them "back in the day"... :(

• Like 1

Machine Language subroutines are also very helpful to have for BASIC programs. I have a commercial collection on disk at home. If you're interested, I can upload later. I believe it's two full disks of routintines. I also have some useful ones from magazine articles that I have used quite a bit. Wish I still had my original collection. I hand-typed tons of them "back in the day"... :(
yes, please do, they're always very useful, do you have the asm files too ?

Yes...

Picture%2013.png

Do it!!!!! :| Do it... Dooo it...

Edited by dwhyte

Here are the disks. The compilation is called BASIC Turbocharger. It has full assembly source listings on four disks. I have also included a partial listing I made of which routines are on one of the disks. There is some fairly useful material here. For some reason, some of the routines are "listed" and some of the routines are "tokenized". I made some notes on which ones are which, for some of these. However, you will have to find out for yourself on the others. Would be nice if someone converted the tokenized ones.

BASIC___Turbocharger.zip

This second archive contains some ML Subroutines that I have collected for my own use from various sources. Most are in PC text format. So, you'll have to convert the files to ATASCII using Dratex or some other utility.

ML_Subroutines.zip

• Like 1

This second archive contains some ML Subroutines that I have collected for my own use from various sources. Most are in PC text format. So, you'll have to convert the files to ATASCII using Dratex or some other utility.

Where is the file TBMOUSE6.OBJ that the 8-Bit Mouse.txt file claims to be present "on this disk"?

Thank you.

Edited by Philsan

Where is the file TBMOUSE6.OBJ that the 8-Bit Mouse.txt file claims to be present "on this disk"?

Thank you.

Here's the disk that contains the referenced file:

TB_Mouse.zip

Larry,

There were a few disks called the Dragon's Tail. I think it was 3 disks. They were ML routines called from BASIC.

Fuji-Man

Every time I write a new Basic program, I pretty much "start from scratch." That's frequently inefficient and makes things more difficult than they need to be.

Is anyone aware of any archive of pre-written Basic subroutines? Or would anyone be interested in starting a thread (maybe with a "sticky") for such subroutines? I certainly have a few to contribute. I'm really not talking about ML USR routines, although that might be a separate section.

-Larry

Larry,

There were a few disks called the Dragon's Tail. I think it was 3 disks. They were ML routines called from BASIC.

Fuji-Man

-Larry

Hi Fuji-Man -

Thanks for the reminder. There are several good routines in Dragon's Tail. These disks are in the Atari software archive:

http://www.atariarchives.org/swlibrary/#dragonstail

-Larry

Hello Larry, hello folks,

attached you find 1) two images of an english/american magazine calld "XEST", they contain lots of BAS, USR and OBJ routines and 2) two images of an austrian magazine called "XL-Magazin", they contain lots of short Basic programs and routines... hopefully something of this stuff is usefull for you... greetings, Andreas Koch.

• 11 years later...

Hello Larry, hello folks,

attached you find 1) two images of an english/american magazine calld "XEST", they contain lots of BAS, USR and OBJ routines and 2) two images of an austrian magazine called "XL-Magazin", they contain lots of short Basic programs and routines... hopefully something of this stuff is usefull for you... greetings, Andreas Koch.

attachicon.gifBASROUT2.ZIP

nope it doesn't look like BASROUT2.ZIP is actually attached...

And since I bought several XE/ST magazines in the meanwhile, I now know they are from Austria also (like the mentioned XL-Magazin).

One of our small contributions to the Atari world. I bought a couple while they were published as they were easy to find but couldn't compare to Antic or Compute!.