IGNORED

Inside Atari Dos -Error(s)

Larry

FWIW, I have an original copy of Inside Atari Dos, and on several times in the past, I've been stymied by parts of Chapter 2 in the disk organization section. It turns out that my copy of the book is wrong in the description of Data Sectors. Essentially, it has the use/layout of bytes 125-127 *backwards*. I did check the copy at http://www.atariarchives.org/ and it is correct (in this regard), so they did catch this at some point and correct it. If you have a copy of this book, you might want to check it. (pg.11)

-Larry

Edited by Larry

• 3 years later...

My copy also has these errors, but I strongly suspect that 'they' did not catch anything. Kevin Savetz just corrected his posted version and every copy of the book contains the same errors?

My concern with this book is on page vii of the introduction and I quote:

But Atari has a set a powerful precedent by publishing the listings of DUP (their portion of DOS 2.0S) and the OS ROMs. The clamor from Atari users for the source for FMS finally even reached us, so we have bowed to the inevitable, and honored the same commitment that Atari has made: to release as much information and aid as possible to the user community.

The listing for the OS ROMs I have, but how come I missed the listing for DUP? Where is it? Who gots it? Can we have a link to it? TIA

OR was Bill Wilkinson of OSS mistaken when he wrote that part about the listing for DUP?

I was searching for something else and just came across this old post and remembered my confusion with this book as well. Still looking for what ever it was...

I have one in hardcopy, so a few survived.

Bob

post-14708-0-42891000-1308083004_thumb.jpg

My copy also has these errors, but I strongly suspect that 'they' did not catch anything. Kevin Savetz just corrected his posted version and every copy of the book contains the same errors?

My concern with this book is on page vii of the introduction and I quote:

But Atari has a set a powerful precedent by publishing the listings of DUP (their portion of DOS 2.0S) and the OS ROMs. The clamor from Atari users for the source for FMS finally even reached us, so we have bowed to the inevitable, and honored the same commitment that Atari has made: to release as much information and aid as possible to the user community.

The listing for the OS ROMs I have, but how come I missed the listing for DUP? Where is it? Who gots it? Can we have a link to it? TIA

OR was Bill Wilkinson of OSS mistaken when he wrote that part about the listing for DUP?

I was searching for something else and just came across this old post and remembered my confusion with this book as well. Still looking for what ever it was...

I have one in hardcopy, so a few survived.

The DUP listing is part of the famous "Technical Notes" or "Technical Atari Reference". You can still buy a brand new hardcopy from the known Atari dealers.

I think we have a scan here on AtariAge, but I'm not 100% sure the DUP is actually included in the online scan.

I could have a OCRed version and converted to MAC65.

Once I wanted to use the file to create a tinyDOS for inside the OS (like C64),

but never came to it. The sources (5.25 disks) must be somewere @ myplace.

But I need to dig.... deep.... continue?

Later,

Sijmen.

Edited by mr-atari

Ok, thanks a lot guys, everybody helped a bit. Kr0tki's link was only one word off in it's title. DOS Utilities Source Listing instead of Disk utilites. And then ijor is awfully close to using the full term 'Technical Reference Notes' which is among the very first set of books I purchased, so if it's in there then I should have it, but I don't - so it isn't.

Officially the forever famous Technical Reference Notes and I quote:

includes:

Operating System User's Manual

Operating System Source Listing

and

Hardware Manual

I was really bummed when I finally got it all to find that the 1200XL supplement was not included. I promptly turned right around and got that one too from either B&C or American Technovison if anyone remembers them, I forget now just who I got them all from. And it says on it's title page "Supplement to ATARI 400/800 Technical Reference Notes". But I still don't have the DUP listing. For about a year there I thought I was looking for the 810 Field Service Manual with a green cover, but Bob's cover is white with 810 blazing across it which might have started the service manual rumor/reference. So now I'm thinking that it's a stand alone deal and pretty darn scarce. But it sure enough exists.

Somewhere out there in some old cardboard box sits the copy I'll look at someday...

But lacking the book itself for the moment, I'd love a look at what you did with it, Sijmen. Please do, dig very deep...

Actually, the DUP listing cover is green. I scanned it in b/w...

Bob

Ok, thanks a lot guys, everybody helped a bit. Kr0tki's link was only one word off in it's title. DOS Utilities Source Listing instead of Disk utilites. And then ijor is awfully close to using the full term 'Technical Reference Notes' which is among the very first set of books I purchased, so if it's in there then I should have it, but I don't - so it isn't.

Officially the forever famous Technical Reference Notes and I quote:

includes:

Operating System User's Manual

Operating System Source Listing

and

Hardware Manual

I was really bummed when I finally got it all to find that the 1200XL supplement was not included. I promptly turned right around and got that one too from either B&C or American Technovison if anyone remembers them, I forget now just who I got them all from. And it says on it's title page "Supplement to ATARI 400/800 Technical Reference Notes". But I still don't have the DUP listing. For about a year there I thought I was looking for the 810 Field Service Manual with a green cover, but Bob's cover is white with 810 blazing across it which might have started the service manual rumor/reference. So now I'm thinking that it's a stand alone deal and pretty darn scarce. But it sure enough exists.

Somewhere out there in some old cardboard box sits the copy I'll look at someday...

But lacking the book itself for the moment, I'd love a look at what you did with it, Sijmen. Please do, dig very deep...

Actually, the DUP listing cover is green. I scanned it in b/w...

Bob

Thanks, more info. So it really would look like the Field Service Manual for the 810, but it doesn't say that on the cover at least. And the DUP listing isn't hidden away inside the 810 Field Service Manual or existing as an addendum only in certain versions of it. They are two entirely different publications. Using the same color scheme for covers.

I just can't help but wonder why the 810 logo is there. And then I wonder if it wasn't available for 810 purchasers as a companion document of sorts? How many people bought a new outrageously pricey 810 and then also sprung for that book to go with it? That goes a long way as to explaining the rarity of it.

Thanks, more info. So it really would look like the Field Service Manual for the 810, but it doesn't say that on the cover at least. And the DUP listing isn't hidden away inside the 810 Field Service Manual or existing as an addendum only in certain versions of it. They are two entirely different publications. Using the same color scheme for covers.

I just can't help but wonder why the 810 logo is there. And then I wonder if it wasn't available for 810 purchasers as a companion document of sorts? How many people bought a new outrageously pricey 810 and then also sprung for that book to go with it? That goes a long way as to explaining the rarity of it.

I'm guessing the 810 logo is there because that was the only option for a disk drive at the time (and if it wasn't, it was the only *Atari* option). That and the fact that using it means not having to come up with different art for that book :)

I was sure it was part of the Technical Notes, but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, it isn't a rare document, it was widely available back in the day, and I've seen it in Ebay more than once.

I don't think it was ever included with the 810 Field Service Manual. The Field Service Manual (at least some versions of it), included the source of the 810 ROM firmware, not the 2.0 DOS DUP.

I know it is not exactly what you might be looking, but the original source of DOS 2.5, including DUP is here in Atariage, as an ATR image (also contributed by Bob).

Well, this is what I dug up.

It was OCRed by me in 2004 and converted to mac65 later.

The mac65 files are edited so no use for anybody.

These zipped TXT files I used to make compiled working disk.

To make them fit in atari memory I had to cut the line-lenght.

(yeah I did all my coding on the atari back then)

Not sure how much, but I could be wrong and the whole -original- listing is in the zip.

Later,

Sijmen.

OK, slightly less than 202KB of Wonderful Memories!

I fully pretty-printed the files, fixed the comments & a few typos, and prepared the files for easy study, using my "Equals, Minus, Dot" (EMD) Standard Format to break everything up nicely. You will find that it is a consistent format, and that it makes it very easy to work your way around, in source code.

This, and standardizing the comment column are the only major modifications to the files. In all cases I have retained the original delineations of routines, and the 'feel' of the programmers involved. I found that the style employed by Paul Laughton in DOS was very well planned out, and reflects a higher degree of perfectionism, in comparison with DUP, which was kinda thrown together by a few programmers (probably on a tight deadline)... still, Mr. Laughton's code is highly structured for Assembly, and well... the DUP code isn't really all that structured... you'll see if you compare the two files.

In any case, there is a lot that can be learned about programming, if you spend some time perusing the sources. The files should also print on a printer very well, and you'll intuitively know where to use your highlighting pen, to study how everything works. Have fun.

UC-DUP20OUT.TXT

UC-Dos20.txt

• Like 1

• 2 years later...