IGNORED

atari jaguar at goodwill worth it?

As far as Atari games consoles I would buy them in this order:

1. Atari Jaguar

2. Atari 7800

3. Atari 2600

4. Atari 5200

You MUST realize you are in a vast minority with this opinion, right? I don't think anyone's been putting down the Jag per se... I think it's a very valid opinion that if you just like to play games, the Jag will be disappointing, as the signal-to-noise ratio on the games is very low, the games are difficult to come by, and most of the games can be had on other systems. I have a Jag and I enjoy it just fine, but I think the majority of casual gamers would get far more enjoyment out of a 2600 or 5200 or heck, even a Lynx.

This is a silly argument. Of course it's fair to warn people about the Jag.

Can you imagine if we let him play Double Dragon V without warning him it causes puppies to spontaneously combust?

What if he played Aircars? He'd see more polygons in the box it arrived in.

At least now we know he's got the right sense of humor to enjoy the Jag for what is, instead of regretting what it isn't.

This is a silly argument. Of course it's fair to warn people about the Jag.

Can you imagine if we let him play Double Dragon V without warning him it causes puppies to spontaneously combust?

What if he played Aircars? He'd see more polygons in the box it arrived in.

At least now we know he's got the right sense of humor to enjoy the Jag for what is, instead of regretting what it isn't.

QFT

I picked up a Jag a couple of years ago and it really is a collector system. There is only one exclusive worth getting the system for and that's AvP. Everything else worth playing can be found on other systems. Although the Jag versions of Doom and Tempest 2000 are really good.

The worst thing about the Jag are the obsessive fanboys who feel Jag critics are attacking them personally.

but I think the majority of casual gamers would get far more enjoyment out of a 2600 or 5200 or heck, even a Lynx.

You forgot 7800, which really should be the first option. It plays the vast majority of 2600 stuff, uses 2600 perephrials, and has the 7800 library as well (including some great new homebrews). I think if you only own one Atari system, that's the one to have.

but I think the majority of casual gamers would get far more enjoyment out of a 2600 or 5200 or heck, even a Lynx.

You forgot 7800, which really should be the first option. It plays the vast majority of 2600 stuff, uses 2600 perephrials, and has the 7800 library as well (including some great new homebrews). I think if you only own one Atari system, that's the one to have.

Speaking as someone who's very much still in love with BallBlazer, the 7800 is so starved for good games that we all wept with joy at the discovery of an unfinished Chuck Norris movie tie-in. We still get excited about Q*bert.

Xevious vs. Raiden.

Xenophobe vs. Aliens vs Predator.

Scrap Yard Dog vs. Rayman

Asteroids vs. Tempest 2k.

Pole Position II vs. Super Burnout.

Karateka vs. Ultra Vortek.

I'd go for the Jag, even having never owned one.

Speaking as someone who's very much still in love with BallBlazer, the 7800 is so starved for good games that we all wept with joy at the discovery of an unfinished Chuck Norris movie tie-in. We still get excited about Q*bert.

Xevious vs. Raiden.

Pitfall 2, Space Invaders, Battlezone, Defender 2, BMX Airmasters, California Games, Adventure, River Raid, Solar Fox, etc. You forgot about 1000 games.

Xevious vs. Raiden.

Pitfall 2, Space Invaders, Battlezone, Defender 2, BMX Airmasters, California Games, Adventure, River Raid, Solar Fox, etc. You forgot about 1000 games.

No. They can be played in a 2600, or, if you don't have room to unpack, Stella. The only reason to upgrade is for the 7800 games. I'm not recommending against the idea, but there are few exclusives, and many crippled games.

No. They can be played in a 2600, or, if you don't have room to unpack, Stella. The only reason to upgrade is for the 7800 games. I'm not recommending against the idea, but there are few exclusives, and many crippled games.

I was responding to Xot, who pointed out that a casual gamer would get more enjoyment from a 2600, Lynx, or 5200 than a Jag. If I were to recommend only one Atari system to someone, it would be the 7800, as that would actually give them a 2600 and 7800. I don't understand what you are trying to say. Do you really think casual "Joe gamers" would like the Jag. more than the combined 2600 and 7800 library? I don't see it at all.

Edited by Atarifever

yeah, it's a decent system, but the games are pretty much terrible. Pretty much a collector system in my opinion. There's no point to own one as you can play just about any other game on another system and it will be better, EXCEPT Alien Vs. Predator. I don't recommend the system to people that are not collectors as it will be a huge disappointment.

What's up with your always putting down the Jag, you constantly bash the Jag, and yet you love the 5200? LOL! The kettle calling the pot black! :P There are plenty of cool games for the Jag, it's just opinions as to who likes what games. To be truthful, however, Jaguar games seem somewhat harder in difficulty with several titles than on other systems, but who doesn't like a real challenge? The Jag has markedly superior versions of several games, Raiden, Rayman, Doom, Flashback, Pitfall-The Mayan Adventure & Wolf3D for example. I and many people actually play their Jaguars daily and don't just collect and shelve it because of Atari's namesake. ;) I do recommend the Jaguar as it will be a hugely entertaining system and is Atari's finest creation. I don't recommend the 5200 because of the controllers, they are non-centering, there is no backwards compatibility, it's absolutely and unnecessarily HUGE, a somewhat limited selection of games and oh yeah.... the graphics and some games are poor :roll: - except for recent releases like Adventure II.

As far as Atari games consoles I would buy them in this order:

1. Atari Jaguar

2. Atari 7800

3. Atari 2600

4. Atari 5200

Congrats! - Enjoy your new Jaguar Interactive Multimedia System, classicgamer24. :) Check ebay or the marketplace here for loose Jagcarts on the cheap and print up you manuals here on Atariage. Dragon on the Jaguar is fun and addicting but is a good challenge also. Have fun buddy and welcome to Atariage!

I just have to disagree. The jag to anybody but someone that is already or going to be a collector will be a huge disappointment, unless they get all the good games and none of the bad right off the bat. The Jag has one of the worst bad to good game ratios of any system, while the 5200 actually has a very good ratio. i'd say most of the games are very well done. To warn someone that has never played or owned a Jag before is not bad, it's good to make sure they understand before they blow their money. Would I have wanted someone to tell me if I wasn't a collector??? YES!.

And my Atari list would go

1. Atari 5200

2. Atari Lynx

3. Atari 2600

4. Atari Jaguar

5. Atari 7800

And my Atari list would go

1. Atari 5200

2. Atari Lynx

3. Atari 2600

4. Atari Jaguar

5. Atari 7800

See, that makes no logical sense. Wherever you put the 2600, the 7800 has to at least be the next system down, if not above it. It is the next one down if you really, really love the few incompatible games and are unwilling to make a few cosmetic changes to the system, hate the entirety of the 7800 library, and dislike the idea of the cuttle cart 2. Otherwise, it has to be the one above the 2600, due to the CC2, some good games in it's own library, and almost the entire 2600 library. How in the world does it make sense to put it below the Jag, when you've already said the 2600 should be 3rd? Are those few incompatible games really so much more important that the other 800 don't beat out the tiny Jag library? I'd understand if you put 2600 4th and then 7800 5th, but to say a 2600 missing a small fraction of its games is enough to move it two whole places in your ordering is nonsensical.

Edited by Atarifever

The Jag has lots of good games:

Cybermorph

Doom

AvP

Tempest 2000

Iron Soldier

Rayman

Super Burnout

Protector: SE

Battlemorph

Battlesphere Gold

Zool 2

Brutal Sports Football

Wolfenstein 3d

NBA Jam

Gorf Classic

Defender 2000

Breakout 2000

World Tour Racing

Power Drive Rally

Ultra Vortek

VLM

Painter

Missle Command 3d

Attack of the Mutant Penguins

Raiden

Cannon Fodder

Syndicate

Atari Karts

Flashback

Pitfall Mayan

Hyperforce

Iron Soldier 2

Battlesphere

Protector

Val D'Isere Skiing...

Worms

And I'm sure I leaving out other Jag games people find fun. ;)

Edited by kevincal

The Jag has lots of good games:

Cybermorph

Doom

AvP

Tempest 2000

Iron Soldier

Rayman

Super Burnout

Protector: SE

Battlemorph

Battlesphere Gold

Zool 2

Brutal Sports Football

Wolfenstein 3d

NBA Jam

Gorf Classic

Defender 2000

Breakout 2000

World Tour Racing

Power Drive Rally

Ultra Vortek

VLM

Painter

Missle Command 3d

Attack of the Mutant Penguins

Raiden

Cannon Fodder

Syndicate

Atari Karts

Flashback

Pitfall Mayan

Hyperforce

Iron Soldier 2

Battlesphere

Protector

Val D'Isere Skiing...

Worms

And I'm sure I leaving out other Jag games people find fun. ;)

WOOHOO!! HELL YEAH BUDDY!!

1. Jag/CD (the greatest system known to man) :cool:

2. Lynx (way ahead of its time,great portable)

3. 7800 (it plays 2600 games and controllers)

4. 2600 ( most popular atari console,true classic)

5. 5200 (worst atari syetem IMHO,controllers terrible)