IGNORED

Custom 5200 Controller [CLOSED]

BigO

I built this joystick controller from a 5200 trackball and a Reveal PC joystick.

I find I don't play the 5200 very much and would rather have a few bucks to spend on a more compact 5200 custom controller that I'm designing and hope to prototype soon.

Since I have no clue how to price this, I figured I'd see if anyone would make an offer...assuming anybody wants something like this.

post-12370-1195957386_thumb.jpgpost-12370-1195957396_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

(A few more pictures here)

Disclaimer:

It looks pretty good from 4 or 5 feet, but it's not cosmetically perfect. The trackball I started with had some scratches on the case and I added a few more when doing the build. The plastic I laid over the aluminum strip has some flaws in it. All in all, it has an authentic, aged patina...yeah, that's the ticket, patina. The rubber boot creaks a bit when the joystick is moved near its travel limit. Some shimming or weatherstrip adhesive would probably stop that.

It's a prototype, one-off, hand-built, minimally played unit. I've listed all the flaws that I know of. I guarantee it will work on the games I've tested with when it leaves my house. It may break in half while you're playing it. If it does, you'll own both pieces.

Edited by BigO

Forgot to mention that I'd prefer payment in the form of a postal money order, if that changes anybody's mind about making an offer.

(I have a Paypal account tied to a credit card. I guess it would just build a balance in my Paypal account if someone sent me money??)

The best offer so far, $51.25, certainly meets any reserve I may have had in the back of my mind.

I'd like to finish this sale as of the end of day Friday Nov. 30th, so if you have an offer let me know via PM or posting here.

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by BigO

I checked this morning and the laminate on the aluminum has laid down better. I suspected that the bubbles were outgassing from some solvent that I missed after cleaning the metal. Musta been because the bubbles are gone. Looks much better. Looks so good that I was thinking about trying to make another panel to fill the recessed black area around the start/pause/reset buttons.

I checked this morning and the laminate on the aluminum has laid down better. I suspected that the bubbles were outgassing from some solvent that I missed after cleaning the metal. Musta been because the bubbles are gone. Looks much better. Looks so good that I was thinking about trying to make another panel to fill the recessed black area around the start/pause/reset buttons.

Nice nice mod... why don't you give this another week? :) I know my payday falls around next friday.

What was the final price?

The only offers I received were those posted on this thread.

I've got a PM out to the theoretical winner to see if they were serious, so "Gone" may be overstating it. :)

[EDIT]: I guess after 11 days, I won't be getting a response back to my PM

Edited by BigO

• 1 year later...

I sold it to a local guy. (I can't remember how much, but I think it was the $50ish number that came about from this thread)

I've been tempted to build another of these as I have a few more semi-functioning trackballs, but it's very time consuming and tedious work. A better option for those with working track balls would be a modification to allow plugging a PC joystick into the trackball and allowing selection of the joystick via a switch.

I think such a mod would only require:

1 - double-pole double-throw (DPDT) switch (a latching push switch would be cool. power switch from an old PC would probably work)

2 - .22uF (or something like that) capacitors

1 - 15 pin socket for the joystick to plug into (could be scavenged from old PC hardware)

Miscellaneous wire

Soldering equipment

Edited by BigO