IGNORED

Atari 2600 as a PC Case

Albert

Interesting. I was just starting a similar project. I was planning on building a case out of legos but this, this is much more interesting. I plan to get a via edan board, I already have everything else including a half height power supply. However, lets skip over the consoles. Which Atari computer would be the best for such a project? I assume it would have to be a TT or Mega ST since I imagine those with a built in keyboard would be just too hairy to mod.

/edit: BTW as for the psxpc being a "prime candidate for overheating", wasn't that ALWAYS the case for the PSX? ;)

I've been doing a little research on these mini-itx motherboards that this 2600 PC is most likely using. The low power CPU is integrated into the motherboard ,so, no upgrading I guess. Actually, just about everything is integrated into the motherboard.

I am not very computer savvy and I am unfamiliar with this type of CPU. Does anyone know if these systems can handle MAME?

It propably will handle mame since even my P1 runs mame but the question is will it run all roms i.e.x. not only "Pacman" "Astoids" and "Spaceinvaders" but also "Metalslug" and "X-Man VS StreesFighter". I don't know maybe someone else does. Furthermote I've found this report about the chip, it doesn't answer your question but I'll post it anyway :-)

http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/via_c3800/

And I have Found yet another link wich looks good http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/testy/via...a/via_epia.html but I can't read it since I don't understand the language b ut maybe someone else does ;-).

I am not very computer savvy and I am unfamiliar with this type of CPU. Does anyone know if these systems can handle MAME?

It will handle mame fine. In bench marks, the low end model is around a p2 400. The high end model compoares to a p3 600-700.

bcsnow & spider-ham, thanks for your replies. I have found a couple of businesses that sell the mini-itx MB and cases. It looks like you can buy everything in the 2600 PC for $300 to $400.

Since these people haven't "patented" their ideas yet, I might give it a shot :roll: :D

This is like killing a rare, endangered species for its pelt, and leaving the carcass to rot.

Every machine they convert is one less *irreplaceable* classic console that no one will get to preserve and enjoy. The emulation "solution" is no solution at all.

Are they trashing working classic systems? What a shame.

Do they mention preserving the guts of the original consoles? If not, I assume they are indeed "trashing" classic consoles.

If they are truly concerned with respecting and preserving gaming's past, they'd manufacture reproduction cases. Instead, they are stripping irreplaceable, working consoles to make a quick buck.

Please, someone tell me they aren't destroying the consoles. They may be plentiful *now*, but the supply is finite-- and "preservation" exploits like this only use them up faster! :x

I have no idea what they're doing with the boards. If they were smart, they'd sell them cheap or work out a deal with someone like 2600.com who could use them with their new repair service.

Personally, I don't think they're going to be selling very many of these conversion systems, so it's not worth getting that worked up about it. I'd be more concerned with people using existing cart cases for new projects.

Personally, I don't think they're going to be selling very many of these conversion systems, so it's not worth getting that worked up about it.  I'd be more concerned with people using existing cart cases for new projects.

I agree with you here, I don't think they'll sell many at all. First, at $999 for the 2600 conversion the price is fairly high. You can put together a much faster machine for less than that, and I bet you can buy the same exact parts they are using (the MB being the most important aspect) for considerably less. Second, how many people really want to have an unexpandable PC in a 2600 case? While it is an interesting curiosity, I just don't see many people going for it. And third, the pictures they posted on their site were obviously mockups, and poor ones at that. I wouldn't order a system (especially for $999) until I saw pictures of and read someone else's firsthand experience with a *working* unit.

However, it could well inspire other people to take on this project themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if more people attempt a conversion like this on their own than cough up the $999 for one. And as Scott said, Atari produced millions of 2600 units, it'll be a *long time* before the supply reaches levels where they are difficult to acquire.

..Al