IGNORED

A Comic Strip (#19)

Ranthulfr

Awesome - as always! Ah, making the old budget stretch. I remember a friendly old arcade operator, who, being nice to us kids, when we'd get change for a dollar (in quarters, of course) would give us an extra quarter, so we could play an extra game. Had I been intelligent, I might have saved that extra quarter each time... Of course, I probably would have bought dot com stock with all that - and would have lost it anyway... So yeah, what the heck - I'm glad I spent it!!!

Keep up the great work!

I dont get the 'paper football' bit :?  

Is 'paper football' something to do with american football or something??

Adam

yep, good ol' american football. Paper football is a game you can play by making a padded triangle out of a single page of paper. You then can flick that triangle at the field goals with your fingers or you can get complicated and play a game by pushing it around a table. Everyone in american schools has been playing this game for 30 years I would imagine with their own rules.

-O

haha, I did a search for a better explanation for paper football but couldn't find any good ones, here's a pretty straightfoward one from parents trying to find something for their kids to do:

http://www.parentcenter.com/refcap/fun/gam...7421/16177.html

most of the sites I found are very flashy and consist of adults still holding paper football tournments ! :o

OH, funny comic as always. :)

I dont get the 'paper football' bit :?  

Is 'paper football' something to do with american football or something??

Adam

yep, good ol' american football. Paper football is a game you can play by making a padded triangle out of a single page of paper. You then can flick that triangle at the field goals with your fingers or you can get complicated and play a game by pushing it around a table. Everyone in american schools has been playing this game for 30 years I would imagine with their own rules.

-O

AAaahhhhh, it sounds very similar to table football(soccer) using any flat surface and a 2p coin the ball :) :D

Adam

lol, your table football sounds like our table basketball which is played on a flat service and with a quarter coin.

I'm starting to think that kids from all parts of the world would know exactly what to play if you put them in a room ;)

Great comic as always :thumbsup:

I had an interesting way of stretching my arcade budget back then. There used to be a pizza place and an arcade within walking distance. The pizza place gave seven tokens for a dollar and the arcade gave out five. The pizza place had a weak selection of games, so I would get my tokens at the pizza place and take them to the arcade to play. They worked, so I didn't think I was doing anything wrong at the time. :roll:

I used to hit my dad up for quarters, so fast and so hard, that he did not know what hit him and before he could say that I had to cut the grass, I already had my quarter inside a pac-man or Donkey Kong arcade game and was lost to the world.

:D :D :D

Does anyone collect tokens?  I have a small collection dating back to the 80's.

I guess I do, I have a total of 13 tokens from 4+ different places. I slowly picked them up over time, whenever I was dragged away by my parents or my wife I would usally have some left over.

Here in the last few years all the arcade "stores" have closed, and I am lucky to play Galaga and a round of Pinball at my local laundrymat.

Anyone ever go to a nickle-a-play?

In Denver Colorado there was an arcade called Nickle a play, I don't remember the costs exactly, but it cost like 4.00 to come in, then all the games cost a nickle. They had mostly old classic games, but some new games too, some of the really old games were set on FREE so they didn't even cost a nickle.

At a nickle a play, my one friend got some serious blisters playing Smash TV.. :-)

Later,

Joel

Does anyone collect tokens?  I have a small collection dating back to the 80's.

I guess I do, I have a total of 13 tokens from 4+ different places. I slowly picked them up over time, whenever I was dragged away by my parents or my wife I would usally have some left over.

wow, you guys walked out of an arcade with unspent tokens? I hope it was by accident ;)

@Joel: have you been to the classic aracde in manitou springs, CO? they have penny pinball.

@Joel: have you been to the classic aracde in manitou springs' date=' CO? they have penny pinball.[/quote']

No, I don't believe, I think Nickle-A-Play was the only Arcade I went to while I lived in Denver.

Did you ever go to the "Mile High Flea Market??"

It's was amazing, miles of junk. Great place for Atari 3 years ago, but I've heard that picking is slim now.

Later,

Joel

"nickle-a-play"--I had a better nicke scam;take nickes into garage and smash em with hammer on concrete floor until the size of quarters-it worked!

As for the comic--my first $70 I ever made on a paper route went to the arcade;and it only lasted about a week...