IGNORED

Its been a while......Tempest 2000

jboypacman

Well with all this talk of Jeff Minter and Space Giraffe on the forum as of late i thought this was a good time to pull the old Jaguar out and play a round of Tempest 2000 and you know what i forgot how much i like this game.

So i guess one good thing came out of Mister Minter's sour grapes i got a chance to remember how much i enjoy playing Tempest 2000 on the Jag.

I wonder now how the Sega Saturn and Playstation 1 versions shape up compared to the Jag version? :)

Well with all this talk of Jeff Minter and Space Giraffe on the forum as of late i thought this was a good time to pull the old Jaguar out and play a round of Tempest 2000 and you know what i forgot how much i like this game.

So i guess one good thing came out of Mister Minter's sour grapes i got a chance to remember how much i enjoy playing Tempest 2000 on the Jag.

I wonder now how the Sega Saturn and Playstation 1 versions shape up compared to the Jag version? :)

the Jaguar version is the best! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Tempest 2000 is eternal, which in turn makes the Jag so.

At least there's this one.

I'm sorry Brain, but I really pity you (and your poor Jaguar) if you think T2K is the only game of value on the Jag... :(

Though I do agree with you that T2K is eternal, but there are quite a few other Jaguar games I find eternal too.

Edited by Gunstar

I'm sorry Brain, but I really pity you (and your poor Jaguar) if you think T2K is the only game of value on the Jag... :(

Other games may be "good" or "enjoyable," but there's a tremendous difference between those and "eternal." That's a stratospherically high bar to reach.

T2K may not be the only one, I'll admit upon further reflection. Battlesphere is probably there, too. And I'm lucky to have one.

And both are games you can't play on any other platform. That's in the Jag's favor. If you could play its games on another system, then the system isn't necessarily needed.

Edited by Brian R.

Other games may be "good" or "enjoyable," but there's a tremendous difference between those and "eternal." That's a stratospherically high bar to reach.

T2K may not be the only one, I'll admit upon further reflection. Battlesphere is probably there, too. And I'm lucky to have one.

And both are games you can't play on any other platform. That's in the Jag's favor. If you could play its games on another system, then the system isn't necessarily needed.

I'll agree with those two, though T2K can be played on the PC, the Saturn and even the PSX too (Tempest X has an easter egg of T2K). But I think the Iron Soldier games are eternal, Missle Command 3D, Battlemorph, Protector and/or Defender 2000, Rayman, Super Burnout, and others I won't mention becuase I think it becomes more and more my opinion instead of general concensus, which I think most of the ones I did mention are considered. The key to all of them to me is eternally playable gameplay. Of course I don't think the Jaguar has the market cornered on "eternal" games, I do think that nearly every console or computer ever made has a few games that are eternal. I agree that "eternal" is a high bar to reach, I just don't agree that it's as uncommon as you think. IMHO, every game that's ever been considered a "classic" is eternal. That's why after nearly 4 decades the 2600 is still so popular by all age groups. It has tons of "eternal" games.

As for whether a game has to be exclusive to the console else the console isn't necessarily needed, that can be said of ANY console; Doom is an eternal game that can be played on virtually any console in the last 2 decades, so that makes any console it's on not necessarily needed to enjoy it. My point is, it's more than just exclusive games that endear any given console to it's fan/user, much more, most of which can't even be explained except by the fan/user to his or her self.

When it comes right down to it, it's even up to the user themselves to decide which games are eternal to them, even if there are some that have a general concesus of being "eternal." The fact is that T2k is actually at the bottom of the Jaguar games that I consider "eternal."

Edited by Gunstar

I finally got an opportunity to pick up a rotary controller. I snagged a Chaos Reins rotary and I am very happy with it. The quality is exceptional. Playing this game with a rotary controller is quite an experience and I think it was worth every penny I spent for it.

Yeah, it's a world of difference. I used to own the JediJeff rotary, which itself was very high quality, the only thing I didn't like about it was the knob was the plastic kind (not the mechanism, that was quality) like on 2600 paddles, which just didn't feel right until I used some nuts (as in nuts and bolts) and hot glue on the underneath side to give the knob some weight, then it worked every bit as good as the original Tempest arcade rotary. I went from an average score of about 500,000 to over a million the first time I used it. It also had a side switch to reverse the direction which really helped on the upside-down webs. Unfortunately I sold it when I was desperate for money, so I'll have to buy another one eventually. But any rotary is well worth the money even for just T2K.

Speaking of rotary controllers, here's a VERY interesting one on eBay UK, though it's unfortunate it's made from a procontroller, which the extra buttons are useless for T2K, so it's a waste of a rare procontroller...but what's done is done, so if someone is looking for a good rotary, this is probably the one...I wish I had the money myself for it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATARI-JAGUAR-PRO-ROT...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have seen some like this before. I kind of think it is a shame that he is tearing up pro controllers. It is an absolute waste. I am sure that it is a fine rotary but there are plenty of regular controllers out there to use for this. I am sure there are plenty of people that would like to get a pro controller or two.

Meh, Pro Controllers are overrated anyway. ;) I actually liked my regular Jag pad more than my Pro. The directional pad and regular buttons seemed way too stiff on my Pro. Maybe it needed to be broken in, but I don't have the time to play my Jaggy that much... ;)

Blasphemy!!! :P

Care to sell or trade your pro? I can always use a spare, mine is pretty broken in...I already replaced the contact bubbles on it once... ;)

Sold it awhile back already. :)

That's good too, it's important these items are with people who will enjoy them. I have one, and I refurbished it after years of use, so it works like new again now, so I'm content.

Just please tell me it wasn't sold to SS4U. Even if you have to lie...

Edited by Gunstar

The directional pad and regular buttons seemed way too stiff on my Pro.

Well, from what I know, from the three different types of controller I have, there is the regular Jaguar pad with the black keypad buttons and the thin cable that are just as stiff as the pro-controller, which I personally like, then there are the later release of the regular controllers with the grey keypad buttons and that controller has a very "mushy" feel too me. So I'm guessing you have the later model regualr controller and prefer the "mushy" feel, which I think feels very cheap. But if you prefer that, then good for you. I do remember that the JediJeff rotary I used to have was made with the "mushy" buttons, which disappointed me a little, but it was a quality controller over all, and it wouldn't suprise me if there were some of those sold with the stiff buttons since they used parts from regular controllers, so chances are there was a mix just like with the regular controllers.

Sold it awhile back already. :)

That's good too, it's important these items are with people who will enjoy them. I have one, and I refurbished it after years of use, so it works like new again now, so I'm content.

Just please tell me it wasn't sold to SS4U. Even if you have to lie...

Lol, I've never sold anything to SS4U iirc... Not that I wouldn't though. But I don't have much Jag stuff left anyway, and I'm pretty much done selling the Jag stuff I wanted to. ;)

And you are right, I have the regular Jag pad with the grey buttons with the mushy feel. :) It's much easier on my fingers/hands than the stiff ones...

Edited by kevincal

• 3 weeks later...
I would love to buy one of the modified controllers for it. I see them on Ebay now and then but I just can't justify dropping $60+ on it for one game.....

Absolutely correct, from that perspective. But, if you look at it as an investment, it's not a bad idea at all to purchase it; I bought mine for about $75, I sold mine for about $75. Most jaguar items at this point at least retain their value, if not gain in value due to rarity. You can buy it, use it and sell it with little or no financial loss, and possibly even make a profit. The result is the same as if you put up the money for collateral on the controller's safe return as a loaner.

All post-Atari releases can be looked upon as investments like this as they've all retained or gained in value. I bought Towers II for about $65 and sold it years later for about $100. I bought Battlesphere for $75 and sold it years later for about $350. I got back all I spent on all my post Atari releases or more, even in used condition. It's not like going and buying an XBOX 360 game for $75 and then finishing and selling it back used for $10. That's why it's not even crazy to pay hundreds for Battlesphere/BSGold, as it will at lest retain that value (if you have the cash to invest).

Edited by Gunstar

Indeed Tempest 2000 is, except for level 64... I would give T2K a 100% if it weren't for that damned level... AvP... It didn't age too well. But it still kicks ass for what it is, considering it was one of the first home FPS's. Definitely in the top 5 Jag games, I'd say.