IGNORED

INTELLIVISION LIVES! (for false snobbery)

Recycled

I've noticed that many of those who had an Intellivision way back, are STILL rather contemptful of the VCS--which is often described as "shitty," "a piece of shit" etc. It seems Plimpton set the stage with those commercials and they never got beyond it. I don't see that happening on AA, where there is a love for ALL the classic games....but elsewhere on the web, people still have to make a point on how much the Intellivison is superior. A friend of mine who had the Intellivision back then....made a general comment to me about how much better it was than the Atari---like it was an accepted fact. I showed him some Int graphics....and he said..."No, It was better than that!" Rose-colored glasses, I guess. Each system has it's strengths and weaknesses....I enjoy them all.

It does kick the snot out of the O2 though.

Overall yes, but I've never played an INTV game as fun as K.C. Munchkin.

Mattel was really stretching with this one:

The two KC Munchkin games and Turtles are the only games I liked on the O2. I had the mulitcart and kept trying various games trying to like them, but it never happened.

I think the fact that the Inty was late to the emulation craze was a factor in making it less "popular" today. There are other factors, like the controversial controllers (I've always hated them myself, to be honest), and the fact that very few Inty games are fondly remembered. Remembered, yes, fondly remembered, not so much, but there are exceptions (like Utopia, Dreadnaught Factor, and a few others). The Inty does have its fans, although you don't see them a lot around these boards.

I've noticed that many of those who had an Intellivision way back, are STILL rather contemptful of the VCS--which is often described as "shitty," "a piece of shit" etc. It seems Plimpton set the stage with those commercials and they never got beyond it. I don't see that happening on AA, where there is a love for ALL the classic games....but elsewhere on the web, people still have to make a point on how much the Intellivison is superior. A friend of mine who had the Intellivision back then....made a general comment to me about how much better it was than the Atari---like it was an accepted fact. I showed him some Int graphics....and he said..."No, It was better than that!" Rose-colored glasses, I guess. Each system has it's strengths and weaknesses....I enjoy them all.

I always preferred the Atari (better controls, faster action games), but enjoyed the Intellivision as well.

Some of the Intellivision games are great! It took me weeks to beat Dungeons and Dragons on the fastest setting. The dragons move really fast, and you can find barely enough arrows to get the job done. Tron was the same way. It took me a while to figure out how to kill that recongnizer. These days though, I mostly play Atari.

I happen to really like Intellivision.

I also happen to really like the Atari VCS and Odyssey 2.

Now, Colecovision's the one I never really bothered about. It's not that I don't like it (I do own one and 15ish cartridges), but I never feel compelled to play it.

I won an Odyssey 2 as part of a video game contest, it was the top prize.

Yes, I was really proud of that, but the Odyssey 2, was not fun. I mean, i tried to make myself like it, because I wanted my prize to be something special, but I traded it later for a ms. pac man cartridge for the atari vcs.

Now, I don't have either of those systems anymore...wish I did for collectors purposes.

Since I'm writing a colecovision game...and I am a professional programmer, although, not a video game programmer...usually I work with databases....but anyway, from my perspective...the colecovisions specs, just plain own the intv and the atari 2600.

It is so much, what you'd expect... no learning arcane hardware bits, it has all the bits and pieces you hope for, and enough ram (1k), and vram, 16k, and processor Z80.... I consider it more of an NES competitor, than a 2600 competitor.

It's true, the NES is more powerful, but if not for the video game crash, they would have gone head to head, with the CV having the head start.

Many flash games I see on the net now....which, btw, are really fun at times...could be done on colecovision too.

I'm doing an original game now, but I may just do some ports later....

I had an intellivision and it was awesome. In those days i think the idea of rivalry between the systems is a little interesting to debate because chances are the people in those days liked ALL VIDEO GAMES. This was all new ground. At school it didn't matter who had an atari, intellivision or colecovision because who ever was lucky enough to get a new game became everybody's best friend :D

One thing that was neat was all those numeric buttons which allowed for interesting game functions. My favorite game was sword and serpents. The one player was a knight and the other was the wizard. Each button on wizards controller was a spell you could fire.

I also liked the D&D treasure of tarmin game. A 3D first person view with all sorts of cool goodies your character could pick up.

I am now porting the homebrew arcade game (Sega C2 version) of Frog Feast to Colecovision.

I should be done later this week.

The Colecovision is lower spec'd than the Sega C2 (by a large amount)...and the NES, too.

I mean, perhaps its pointless to debate exactly how well it may have done against NES, but, from a homebrew perspective, its a fairly powerful machine that gives you options on what you can do with it.

I used to write for the Atari 8-bit (not in the homebrew era, but as a youngster when the model was still in release).... the Atari obviously had more memory, but the tools back then were terrible, and player/missile graphics are an arcane concept now...somehow the colecovision style...has just held up better.

I'm surprised by this system. Which, despite having aged much better, in terms of what it can do from a programmers perspective, has not done so well in terms of continued fan support compared to the 2600 or NES.

I'm still planning on doing some things for those other systems too....but Colecovisions ease of programming has now convinced me to complete at least 2 games, before moving on.

a lot of the best intv games were sports games, and most pre-NES sports games are hard to stomach even for dedicated classic console fans.

take NFL football, in the INTV game, you can program receiver routes, an impressive before-its-time feature... but how many people are actually going to take the time to do that