IGNORED

Squish 'Em for the 2600 (Done!)

vdub_bobby

-Also the tune that plays when you finish a building is *slightly* different. Unless that's been fixed in the most recent release, which I haven't checked yet. Might just be that the original tune calls for a note that the 2600 can't do.

When I wrote that all the sounds are different, I was including the music in that statement. All the original sounds - music and SFX both - call for notes that the 2600 can't match exactly.

Hmmm... just tried this. Good job, although the "buzzing" is a little irritating. But if you say they also had that in the A8 version... I just wonder if they did it on purpose or by mistake. And are you really supposed to get 0 points for a grabbed bonus item? I think that was different in the C-64 version which I played long ago...

Hmmm... just tried this. Good job, although the "buzzing" is a little irritating. But if you say they also had that in the A8 version... I just wonder if they did it on purpose or by mistake. And are you really supposed to get 0 points for a grabbed bonus item? I think that was different in the C-64 version which I played long ago...

Just double checked and you can indeed hear the same buzzing in the A8 version, in emulation (and on the real thing). It sounds the same as my 2600 port. I tried a little modification to see if it would help, but it didn't make any difference. I think the buzzing is just an unfortunate side effect for the way they did the sounds. Basically, they are turning all sounds off 60 times a second and, if any sounds are playing, turning them right back on almost immediately, 60 times per second. Gives the sounds a really cool, unique effect, but it also makes it buzz, I guess. Honestly, I never noticed until mimo mentioned it earlier.

And yes, 0 points for a prize. You do get an extra life, so don't be too sad. :)

Basically, they are turning all sounds off 60 times a second and, if any sounds are playing, turning them right back on almost immediately, 60 times per second. Gives the sounds a really cool, unique effect, but it also makes it buzz, I guess.

This is the "modulation" effect I referred to in an earlier post. At the time of that posting, it sounded like you had applied this effect to some of the sound effects, but not all.

Are you currently doing this to the falling-brick sound? If not, that might help it sound a little less harsh.

Basically, they are turning all sounds off 60 times a second and, if any sounds are playing, turning them right back on almost immediately, 60 times per second. Gives the sounds a really cool, unique effect, but it also makes it buzz, I guess.

This is the "modulation" effect I referred to in an earlier post. At the time of that posting, it sounded like you had applied this effect to some of the sound effects, but not all.

Are you currently doing this to the falling-brick sound? If not, that might help it sound a little less harsh.

Yeah, it applies to all sounds.

I have only played this game on the Atari 800XL home computer. I just tried your VCS conversion. Bob, I am simply amazed at how you've got this conversion nailed down. This is simply incredible! Most excellent work! I will definitely buy this game when it comes out in cart form.

My hat goes off to you, Vdub. I'm in awe! :)

Very Nice Bob!!!!

This was the first item in my cart for the Christmas buys and can't wait to get it!

Any idea on the completion for the 5200 version? That will be a must! ;)

Tom

I dunno, probably not before the new year. :)

And I haven't yet, but I will soon mail you your Go Fish! SE carts! :)

well done... now what about going backwards? I would like to see an A8 version of Chopper Command which is missing in the A8 library of early Activision games...

Throw some other names out there, I might be interested. :D

But I've never really liked Chopper Command.

EDIT: Maybe Frostbite...

Edited by vdub_bobby