IGNORED

Screw the Wii!

RickHarrisMaine

And I do not believe in any limited production conspiracy. It doesn't make any financial sense for a company to do this. Who's to say all this hype will last into next year? The excitement could fade away by April and Nintendo would be left with a huge surplus of product.

This is exactly why it makes SENSE to have an artificial shortage. You honestly think the Wii would be this year's "hot" Christmas gift if they'd been readily available for nine or ten months now? No. Short supply *creates* greater demand, it's not that hard to figure out. Nintendo knows that the hype would've died by now if the system was easy to get.

Say every store had like ten Wiis in stock at all times. What exactly is the motivation for people to buy them "on the spot, without thinking twice", as some people have recommended? There isn't any, because there simply aren't any "must-have" games yet for the system, with the possible exception of Mario Galaxy.

The only reason they are continuing to sell so well is because they're scarce. Nintendo might make more money for a month or so if they increased production, but after that it'd die off quickly.

Manufacturer-induced shortages are used all the time to create false demand and hype around a product. Hell, toy companies readily admit to it. I don't see what's so unbelievable about Nintendo doing the exact same thing with a console. And if you non-toy collectors out there are curious, here's how it goes:

1. A toy line is released, with one character hyped ahead of time as being arbitrarily "rare". He's not always bigger or better than the rest, he just gets shortpacked. This creates a HUGE demand.

2. Online retailers sell out of this particular figure before it even releases, often for up to three times what it would have gone for at retail. This has the side effect of hooking the perpetual flow of new idiot toy "investors" and ebay scalpers, who don't understand the way the market works, and will often buy up other figures in the hopes that they'll triple in value as well.

3. Ebay floods with jacked-up auctions for something that's really only been at retail for a week or so. Maybe two.

4. Toy company tries to meet overwhelming fan demand by ramping up production. Stores are then flooded with product they don't need, because after a couple cases only the "shortpacked" figure is selling. People see three to four each of the rest of the figures and go "Well, it's here. I can always pick it up later".

5. Line gets clearanced out or RTVed, line gets cancelled due to "lack of interest".

Steps one through three sound at all familiar? The only difference here is that Nintendo is smarter than a company like Mattel or Hasbro, since they're more focused on a single product line, and they know enough to ride step three for all it's worth, because once you hit four there's no going back.

Edited by Scumdogg

And I do not believe in any limited production conspiracy. It doesn't make any financial sense for a company to do this. Who's to say all this hype will last into next year? The excitement could fade away by April and Nintendo would be left with a huge surplus of product.

This is exactly why it makes SENSE to have an artificial shortage. You honestly think the Wii would be this year's "hot" Christmas gift if they'd been readily available for nine or ten months now? No. Short supply *creates* greater demand, it's not that hard to figure out. Nintendo knows that the hype would've died by now if the system was easy to get.

Say every store had like ten Wiis in stock at all times. What exactly is the motivation for people to buy them "on the spot, without thinking twice", as some people have recommended? There isn't any, because there simply aren't any "must-have" games yet for the system, with the possible exception of Mario Galaxy.

The only reason they are continuing to sell so well is because they're scarce. Nintendo might make more money for a month or so if they increased production, but after that it'd die off quickly.

Manufacturer-induced shortages are used all the time to create false demand and hype around a product. Hell, toy companies readily admit to it. I don't see what's so unbelievable about Nintendo doing the exact same thing with a console. And if you non-toy collectors out there are curious, here's how it goes:

1. A toy line is released, with one character hyped ahead of time as being arbitrarily "rare". He's not always bigger or better than the rest, he just gets shortpacked. This creates a HUGE demand.

2. Online retailers sell out of this particular figure before it even releases, often for up to three times what it would have gone for at retail. This has the side effect of hooking the perpetual flow of new idiot toy "investors" and ebay scalpers, who don't understand the way the market works, and will often buy up other figures in the hopes that they'll triple in value as well.

3. Ebay floods with jacked-up auctions for something that's really only been at retail for a week or so. Maybe two.

4. Toy company tries to meet overwhelming fan demand by ramping up production. Stores are then flooded with product they don't need, because after a couple cases only the "shortpacked" figure is selling.

5. Line gets clearanced out or RTVed, line gets cancelled due to "lack of interest".

Steps one through three sound at all familiar? The only difference here is that Nintendo is smarter than a company like Mattel or Hasbro, since they're more focused on a single product line, and they know enough to ride step three for all it's worth, because once you hit four there's no going back.

Yes but again you're failing to look at the fact that EVENTUALLY the demand would be met after 15 million units if it were just a planned shortage. Since they've sold that many systems already it's apparent that Nintendo hasn't choked the supply of the system at any given point, Nintendo continued selling and shipping hardware throughout the year, you can check the sales statistics. People kept buying the systems all year round almost as fast as they hit the shelves and this is what has led to where we are today, less than three weeks from Christmas with the system practically impossible to find.

It seems like a great conspiracy, but considering it's now year TWO and considering the year round demand for the product it's apparent that it isn't a planned shortage.

Added in edit: I think you're also failing to realize what others have pointed out earlier on the page with regard to the Wii and a must have title. To a lot of consumers Wii sports IS the must have title.

Edited by DragonmasterDan

Nintendo is making money on the hardware unlike Sony and Microsoft who are selling at a loss. I guess it's also worth noting that game sales are decent for the Wii consideirng it's been out around a year less than the 360 (thus less time for people to buy releases) the attach rate last I heard was around 3 games per console which is decent for a fairly new product.

Errrr you're wrong. Very very wrong.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11/21/Mi..._a_profit_xbox/

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061116-8239.html

Be sure and check the dates on those. ;)

It's OK though, apparently many many people think like you do, that MS is losing $$$ on every 360 sold. Honestly this has to be the 5th time I've posted this. :cool:

Also I don't look at it like the Wii's been out a year less than the 360...I look at it like the Wii's been out for a year now and Wii Sports and Wii Play are the hottest thing going for it. If thats the hottest thing after a year...Woe is the gamer who's only system is the Wii.

As far as Wii games sales, before Mario came out Wii Play was the hottest selling game....even 6 months after it's release. :lol:

Games sales aren't decent if they have more system in folks homes than anyone else but can't get a #1 seller.

Check this out...

http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

The reason Wii Sports is on top is because they are counting the pack-in as a sale which I don't really agree with.

If you remove that game from the list. Then in spite of the fact it has more units in peoples home than any other system...It has two game in the top 10...and one of those is a gimmie (Mario) the other?.... Wii Play....a game thats been around for 47 weeks! Clearly Gramma has no interest in games like Metroid or Mario. It seems like the only time Wii runs away with weekly game sales is when they release a blockbuster game, but even then the glory only lasts a couple weeks at best, then Wii Play climbs back to the top of the heap.

Don't get me wrong. Wii is fun, I'll be taking mine over to the fams house for Xmas. It's a great system for non-gamers. But otherwise it pretty much collects dust around here, probably because I'm NOT a non-gamer and I have other options.

Edited by moycon

Nintendo is making money on the hardware unlike Sony and Microsoft who are selling at a loss. I guess it's also worth noting that game sales are decent for the Wii consideirng it's been out around a year less than the 360 (thus less time for people to buy releases) the attach rate last I heard was around 3 games per console which is decent for a fairly new product.

That's an awful attach rate, no matter how long a system has been out. The 360 had around 8 it's first year. But it's interesting to note that while there are more wii's in households than 360's, the 360 continues to constantly sell 3 times as much software per month. And the 360 breaks down. All the time. But people still keep coming back for more. Now that's success. The flagship wii game sold 500k it's first week. Mario Galaxy. Not a bad number but still only 25% of what Halo 3 did......in 24hrs :ponder:

I do not think this is an intentional shortage. I really don't think Nintendo thought that after the turd the GC was/is, that people would come back for more. I do 100% think that Nintendo has done a brilliant job at marketing this thing. Think about it, it does nothing exceptionally well. It has a poor library of games but as long as everyone thinks it's hot, they will get it. You can go on almost any game forum and, as Moycon said, find that almost any gamer who owns a 360/ps3 in addition to a wii, will claim the wii sits idle. And it doesn't move software. But every chance they get, Nintendo talks about how scarce it is.

intersting read

The marketing on this product may be the best I've seen in years. A buddy of mine who really doesn't watch tv and never plays games wants a wii. He saw a demo in the store for wii sports, didn't play just watched. He said it looks fun and knows it's hard to get but the price is right. His story on reasons to get one is common and Nintendo said they would market to people like him and did. And wii Fit. Releasing it right around the time that Americans make new years resolutions to lose weight is golden. And it's gonna sell great.

What still remains to be seen is when the smoke clears from hype, what will Nintendo do when people start paying attention to the software?

The Wii is completely awesome. There's a whole load of stuff that I'm playing on it now it's really got into it's stride (currently on Mario Galaxy, Endless Ocean, Elebits and eagerly awaiting Nights).

And I am a gamer, which is why I bought the only system that really seems next-gen to me. There's really nothing to take my fancy on the PS3 or 360 right now, I've played all those games before. Between the Wii and DS, gaming for me is really feeling how it did in the early 80s, when the genres weren't defined and creativity was rife. Happy days :)

Also I don't look at it like the Wii's been out a year less than the 360...

I look at it like the Wii has been out for six years already.

I do 100% think that Nintendo has done a brilliant job at marketing this thing.

Absolutely, they have done a brilliant PR campaign for it. Think about what would have happened if MS or Sony had effectively told everyone they were going to sell you the basically the same system they were selling five years ago, but this time with a new controller. People lining up in droves would hardly have been the response.

The PS3 commercials by contrast are awful.

Edited by remowilliams

Errrr you're wrong. Very very wrong.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11/21/Mi..._a_profit_xbox/

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061116-8239.html

Be sure and check the dates on those. ;)

It's OK though, apparently many many people think like you do, that MS is losing $$$ on every 360 sold. Honestly this has to be the 5th time I've posted this. :cool:

Yeah my mistake with regard to losing money on console sales, for a long time it was the case that the Xbox 360 was losing money. I know Sony is definitely still losing money on the PS3, in any event Nintendo sold the Wii at a profit to begin with which was what I was getting at.

Also I don't look at it like the Wii's been out a year less than the 360...I look at it like the Wii's been out for a year now and Wii Sports and Wii Play are the hottest thing going for it. If thats the hottest thing after a year...Woe is the gamer who's only system is the Wii.

As far as Wii games sales, before Mario came out Wii Play was the hottest selling game....even 6 months after it's release. :lol:

Games sales aren't decent if they have more system in folks homes than anyone else but can't get a #1 seller.

Check this out...

http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

The reason Wii Sports is on top is because they are counting the pack-in as a sale which I don't really agree with.

If you remove that game from the list. Then in spite of the fact it has more units in peoples home than any other system...It has two game in the top 10...and one of those is a gimmie (Mario) the other?.... Wii Play....a game thats been around for 47 weeks! Clearly Gramma has no interest in games like Metroid or Mario. It seems like the only time Wii runs away with weekly game sales is when they release a blockbuster game, but even then the glory only lasts a couple weeks at best, then Wii Play climbs back to the top of the heap.

Yeah, but the chart also counts Forza and Marvel ultimate alliance (packed with premium 360s) as sales as well, that's why those two are so high. If we move the three pack ins off the list Mario Galaxy is the #1 seller and another Wii game (the Guitar Hero port) winds up in the top 10.

Don't get me wrong. Wii is fun, I'll be taking mine over to the fams house for Xmas. It's a great system for non-gamers. But otherwise it pretty much collects dust around here, probably because I'm NOT a non-gamer and I have other options.

Sure it's definitely not a hardcore gaming system but that was never really the point of it.

Added in edit: Also I think right now Wii sports is moving the system because it's aimed at the casual gaming audence, as time goes on and other Nintendo franchises hit the platform there will be a lot more compelling reasons to own a Wii. I don't think it's ever going to be the system that is going to have tier 1 third party development but that was never really Nintendo's focus.

Edited by DragonmasterDan

What still remains to be seen is when the smoke clears from hype, what will Nintendo do when people start paying attention to the software?

I've got ten bucks on "fold like an origami crane and start planning their next console, letting shovelware and PS2 ports continue to flood the Wii". Another big frontrunner is "Promise mysterious new Zelda and Mario games, but ultimately delay them until said new console is released".

I am looking forward to Smash Bros. (more ever since they announced Gamecube controller compatibility), and i'll probably even buy Mario Kart if they can manage to make it control tighter than Excite Truck. But after that, are there even any "empty promise" games to look forward to out of Nintendo, or is it pretty much all exercise and party games for the next year or two?

The Wii is completely awesome. There's a whole load of stuff that I'm playing on it now it's really got into it's stride (currently on Mario Galaxy, Endless Ocean, Elebits and eagerly awaiting Nights).

And I am a gamer, which is why I bought the only system that really seems next-gen to me. There's really nothing to take my fancy on the PS3 or 360 right now, I've played all those games before. Between the Wii and DS, gaming for me is really feeling how it did in the early 80s, when the genres weren't defined and creativity was rife. Happy days :)

Hear hear! The Wii and DS perfectly complement my video game collection. Plenty of gaming goodness there. Here is why I do not own a PS3 or Xbox360...

PS3: price (I will not pay more than $300 for a video game console)

XBox 360: hardware failure (I resent the fact that I will eventually have to send a console in to get a refurbished (not new) replacement)

The game selection for the Xbox360 is mighty enticing and it's sad that M$ cannot make a quality product (maybe they should outsource?). Once they master the ability to produce something that is not designed to fail they might get my money (once the inevitable sub-$300 price drop occurs).

So I say screw the Xbox360 and screw the PS3! :P

Sure it's definitely not a hardcore gaming system but that was never really the point of it.

Yeah I know, the point I was making was that it sucks if you have millions and millions of video game consoles in folks living room, but you can't sell video games. I think the big boys have already hit..Zelda, Mario, Metroid...What's next SS Brawl part (whatever)??? These titles aren't selling near as well as they should when you consider the amount of consoles available to play them on. I don't think bringing back even older more obscure franchises is going to work. The gamers around here when they heard about games like Halo 3 and Mass Effect coming to the 360 started chiming in with all the AWESOME games coming to the Wii. They were citing games like Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Soul Calibur Legends. SC isn't even in the top 50 and you might miss RE:UC it's at the bottom. Clearly the people buying the Wii have zero interest in them.

The $$ is made on the software sales. I'm just speculating maybe Nintendo doesn't ramp up production because the software sales aren't as great as one might think.

Also don't think I'm saying the Wii isn't a system for gamers at all, it's great light fluffy fun, but chances are if you have options (Wii isn't your only system) The charm of waving your hands around will wear off quickly, Its kinda hard to say "I've played all the games on that other system" when you don't own the system. I've driven many cars in my life....doesn't mean I have a clue what it's like to own and drive a Lamborghini if I've never had one, regardless what I might think. :cool:

Yeah I know, the point I was making was that it sucks if you have millions and millions of video game consoles in folks living room, but you can't sell video games. I think the big boys have already hit..Zelda, Mario, Metroid...What's next SS Brawl part (whatever)??? These titles aren't selling near as well as they should when you consider the amount of consoles available to play them on. I don't think bringing back even older more obscure franchises is going to work. The gamers around here when they heard about games like Halo 3 and Mass Effect coming to the 360 started chiming in with all the AWESOME games coming to the Wii. They were citing games like Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Soul Calibur Legends. SC isn't even in the top 50 and you might miss RE:UC it's at the bottom. Clearly the people buying the Wii have zero interest in them.

The $$ is made on the software sales. I'm just speculating maybe Nintendo doesn't ramp up production because the software sales aren't as great as one might think.

Also don't think I'm saying the Wii isn't a system for gamers at all, it's great light fluffy fun, but chances are if you have options (Wii isn't your only system) The charm of waving your hands around will wear off quickly, Its kinda hard to say "I've played all the games on that other system" when you don't own the system. I've driven many cars in my life....doesn't mean I have a clue what it's like to own and drive a Lamborghini if I've never had one, regardless what I might think. :cool:

Nintendo likes to sequelize and there's always Mario Kart, etc. Nintendo has a lot of franchises to move on the Wii and Nintendo moves them in great numbers. I think the problem is kind of what I stated before in that third party companies definitely aren't going to see the Wii as being as profitable since in the past few Generations people have bought Nintendo consoles for Nintendo franchises. I think the business plan works great for Nintendo because they've produced a console that caters more specifically to their core audience. Again I think Nintendo is doing what Nintendo has done the past few generations, trickle out their big name franchises on their own system.

If you're a hardcore gamer you absolutely want to have another system besides the Wii. It doesn't have lots of First Person Shooters, RPGs and the many other genres. It's not meant to cater to all the needs of the hardcore gaming community. It's a casual gaming system with Nintendo's franchises on it.

Because instead of a Wii, I'm seriously thinking about picking up a used XB360 or PS3, heck with the prices you have to pay on eBay for a Wii, I can get one of those for less.

Then go ahead and get another system. I'd recommend the XBox 360 at the moment. Buy new, though. Never buy disc systems used.

Yep, you'll play the 360 way more than the Wii anyway. At least I do.

Oh, and as far as the Wii shortage goes...

I have one, My brother has one, my mother has one, my aunt has one, and my sister has one. We all got them last year around launch...so I really don't care. :P

If you really want one, check 4 or 5 places every day and you'll get one. I preordered mine at launch and had no problem getting it.

Also don't think I'm saying the Wii isn't a system for gamers at all, it's great light fluffy fun, but chances are if you have options (Wii isn't your only system) The charm of waving your hands around will wear off quickly

I dunno man, I play a lot of 360 stuff (as you know) but I think Super Mario Galaxy is game of the year! You don't feel like you're just waving your hands around in that game.. at least I don't. :)

Nintendo is making money on the hardware unlike Sony and Microsoft who are selling at a loss.

How do you know this?

This was discussed earlier, I was actually incorrect since Microsoft is no longer selling the 360 at a loss (they were at launch) Sony continues to lose money on every PS3 sold, there's actually some links up in the thread about that.

I just don't get people paying $400+ for a Wii on ePay, for that kind of money you're just better off getting a 360 or PS3 for the hardware power. Part of the appeal of the Wii for me is that it is an affordable system compared to the other two and I know the hardware itself is going to be reilable since Nintendo traditionally has had their game systems built like tanks that can withstand all sorts of abuse.

Also I hate this elitist attitude towards "casual" gamers. As far as I'm concerned anyone who's willing to drop several hundred dollars on a system and some games has every right to call themselves gamers. Playing the latest FPS of the month doesn't make you a better gamer than someone who likes to play Wii Sports.

Hear hear! The Wii and DS perfectly complement my video game collection. Plenty of gaming goodness there. Here is why I do not own a PS3 or Xbox360...

XBox 360: hardware failure (I resent the fact that I will eventually have to send a console in to get a refurbished (not new) replacement)

The game selection for the Xbox360 is mighty enticing and it's sad that M$ cannot make a quality product (maybe they should outsource?). Once they master the ability to produce something that is not designed to fail they might get my money (once the inevitable sub-$300 price drop occurs).

The funniest thing is that it's always the people who ONLY have the Wii who constantly sing it's praises. If you don't have a PS3 or a 360 your opinion is USELESS. You have NOTHING to compare it to. I have both a Wii and a 360 and anyone who compares the 2 and says the Wii is better is either kidding themselves or the biggest Ninetendo fanboy there is.... :roll:

The funniest thing is that it's always the people who ONLY have the Wii who constantly sing it's praises. If you don't have a PS3 or a 360 your opinion is USELESS. You have NOTHING to compare it to. I have both a Wii and a 360 and anyone who compares the 2 and says the Wii is better is either kidding themselves or the biggest Ninetendo fanboy there is.... :roll:

Believe it or not - there are people with different tastes in games. For example, I generally dislike First Person Shooters and absolutely love platformers and puzzle games. Therefore, the DS and Wii do actually represent the perfect consoles for me right now. The Wii is better for my tastes and I don't have to have the other consoles to say that - just like I didn't need to own an Xbox last round to know the PS2 was the best option for me.

The Wii and DS combo has easily brought me the most fun I've had with consoles since the 16bit generations. While there are some games I'd like to play more of on the other systems (I love Hot Shots Golf PSP and although I'm terrible at it I love the art style of Bioshock) - it hasn't sold me on buying another system yet since I have plenty of DS/Wii stuff in my backlog to keep me busy!

Ok after three days of looking for a Wii myself and getting angry about not being able to find one i said the heck with it and i will wait untill after X-Mas to get one.

I really hate getting angry over video games as they are supposed to be fun so i went and bought a PS2 and a few games as they were cheap,i didnt have one,and there some really good collections and other good games for it. :)

I wanna know how these "casual" gamers are finding these Wiis to only play one game on it. I've heard this said all the time, yet I always revert to, how come casual people are putting forth more effort to find a console than hardcore gamers? It's because this simply isn't true and is fabricated because the Wii is such a huge success. The newsflash is this, 8 months ago you could question the Wii's lineup. As of today, there's no more whining, the system literally has something for everyone. There are plenty great games out there for it now, so all I can say to Wii haters now is that they're making fools of themselves.

I wanna know how these "casual" gamers are finding these Wiis to only play one game on it. I've heard this said all the time, yet I always revert to, how come casual people are putting forth more effort to find a console than hardcore gamers? It's because this simply isn't true and is fabricated because the Wii is such a huge success. The newsflash is this, 8 months ago you could question the Wii's lineup. As of today, there's no more whining, the system literally has something for everyone. There are plenty great games out there for it now, so all I can say to Wii haters now is that they're making fools of themselves.

Agreed

If you can't find games you want to play between what's out on the shelves and the VC then there's just no hope for you.

Because instead of a Wii, I'm seriously thinking about picking up a used XB360 or PS3, heck with the prices you have to pay on eBay for a Wii, I can get one of those for less.

Then go ahead and get another system. I'd recommend the XBox 360 at the moment. Buy new, though. Never buy disc systems used.

I've bought many used disc systems and never had a problem. ;)