IGNORED

Oh yeah, and the HD format war ended today...

Danno

Not that many here care, but for those of you who do, it's now being widely reported this week that Warner Brothers, the largest remaining Hollywood Studio still on the HD format fence, will announce going exclusive to Blu-Ray in Q1 of 2008 for good, essentially ending the HD format war.

Toshiba went as far as to knock their players price down to $99, taking a HUGE loss in Q3, and it backfired on them.

For once, the better quality format (like Beta) wins out over the cheaper and easier to produce format.

All Your HD Are Belong to Sony!

I dont think it will be that quick to decide the war, but as I said in other posts...

With every PS3 player being able to play Blu Ray, eventually that is going to add up. Even if the system is third on sales, that is still moving millions of consoles(and Blu Ray players a year).

While the HD add on for the 360 is a novel idea, at $179, I just dont see the public embracing this add on.

It's a good sign for those of us who own a Blu-Ray player, I don't think anyone can declare the HD wars over yet. The sad truth is only a very small portion of the population even cares. The true winner is still plain old DVD...

For what it's worth, I own only 3 Blu-Ray movies and never noticed a huge difference on my 1080i TV...

Tempest

The players are finally coming down in price where I would consider buying a HD DVD or Blue Ray player when I get a HDTV next year.

Both formats looked the same to me, so I don't know what determines which one is "better". I could care less if the disc holds 20gb or 20kb as long as my movie looks great in 1080p.

The real downer with either format is the cost of the movies. $30 dollars for a title when the equivalent DVD costs $15 is a huge drawback. I don't know if I would pay twice as much for my kids to watch Shrek the Third.

I would say the winner would be whatever format gets the title cost under $20.

Not that many here care, but for those of you who do, it's now being widely reported this week that Warner Brothers, the largest remaining Hollywood Studio still on the HD format fence, will announce going exclusive to Blu-Ray in Q1 of 2008 for good, essentially ending the HD format war.

Toshiba went as far as to knock their players price down to $99, taking a HUGE loss in Q3, and it backfired on them.

For once, the better quality format (like Beta) wins out over the cheaper and easier to produce format.

What's your source on this? I'm curious to read about it.

What's your source on this? I'm curious to read about it.

http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback224.html

it's now being widely reported this week that Warner Brothers, the largest remaining Hollywood Studio still on the HD format fence, will announce going exclusive to Blu-Ray in Q1 of 2008 for good

Unless you have other information, I don't think they have made a definite choice yet. There are just rumors.

EDIT: The main new rumor seems to come from a BusinessWeek article from December 6:

"The rumor is that Warner is coming aboard soon," says Michael Burns, vice-chairman of studio Lionsgate, which makes its movies available on the Sony-backed format. "That will make it awfully tough for HD DVD to stay in this game."

But that article also states this:

Warner isn't talking, but people close to the situation say the studio is waiting to see which group sells more of the new-fangled DVD players this holiday season. "Warner wants one of the two sides to make a commitment to getting this format into as many hands as possible," says a studio executive with knowledge of its thinking.

So the decision probably won't be made final until late in the month at the earliest.

Edited by vdub_bobby

it's now being widely reported this week that Warner Brothers, the largest remaining Hollywood Studio still on the HD format fence, will announce going exclusive to Blu-Ray in Q1 of 2008 for good

Unless you have other information, I don't think they have made a definite choice yet. There are just rumors.

15 separate National publications have reported on it, including Business Week and the New York Times. 3 industry insiders on teh forums at blu-ray.com have been issued gag orders at their places of business, including Sony, following the leak by Lions Gate Vice President in the Business Week article.

where there's smoke, there's fire.

The HD format war was over a couple years ago. Apathy is the winner. As soon as the real replacement for DVD comes out that will likely change.

Seconded. I have a really nice tv, and i'm still not interested in buying a new movie player and rebuying all my movies at two or three times what i just paid for them. The quality on most DVDs is good enough for me at the moment.

The Warner quote in that article is their response from an August news story, not these most recent ones.

Paramount denied going exclusive until just days before they made an official announcement. they had to Pull the Blu-Ray's of blades of Glory off of store shelves and out of consumers online orders to comply with the contract they signed.

Danno, unless you have a major portion of your investments in Sony, what difference does it make if Blu-Ray beats out HD-DVD? They're both HD formats that don't look any different from each other.

Basically your post is just to brag that the format you picked looks to be the winning format. :roll:

P.S. I don't have either a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD unit, so I'm still neutral on them. I really couldn't care less who wins. I'll just buy the winning format when units come down in price.

Danno, unless you have a major portion of your investments in Sony, what difference does it make if Blu-Ray beats out HD-DVD? They're both HD formats that don't look any different from each other.

Basically your post is just to brag that the format you picked looks to be the winning format. :roll:

P.S. I don't have either a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD unit, so I'm still neutral on them. I really couldn't care less who wins. I'll just buy the winning format when units come down in price.

It's a technology story that is completely relevant to Modern Gaming consoles. This is going to affect millions of people.

And yes, I'm happy that the format I chose was the one that won. Is there something wrong with that?

Hooray for less competition, higher prices, and Sony's indifferent customer service!

Hooray for less competition, higher prices, and Sony's indifferent customer service!

Blu-ray players are manufactured by nearly a dozen Companies, Sony being just one of them. Competition is fierce.

Higher prices? Blu-Ray discs are, on average, 15% to 20% cheaper than HD-DVD's, and the price difference between the Base model HD-DVD player and blu-ray now stands at $2.45.

Sony's customer service probably does suck. So buy a Panasonic, or a Samsung, or an LG, or a Mitsubishi, or a Harman Kardon, or a Pioneer, etc.

Oh yeah - HD-dvd was manufactured by Toshiba, and NO ONE else.

A few comments.

Right now HD-DVD and Blu-Ray appear to be having something of a price war. That's good for us and wouldn't be happening if one single format had "won" already.

Second, what is wrong with the cheaper and easier to produce format winning? For a lot of people, a lower price matters more than the difference in quality between the two formats.

Well, for that matter, for virtually everybody right now, the price of DVD vs. HD matters much more than the difference in quality between SD and HD. :ponder:

Edited by vdub_bobby

I've seen about half a dozen posts with the this same title. The only difference is that sometimes they say Blu-Ray and sometimes they say HD DVD in the title. They are stupid. The truth of the matter? HD DVD player outsold Blu-Ray over the Black Friday week-end. Is this saying they won the war? To someone simple minded probably, and that person would no doubt start a lame thread like Danno has. The sad truth of the matter though.... Where as HD DVD players moved around 50k units (Offering probably around 12 free HD movies) plain old regular DVD player moved around 400k units in that same period! :lol:

Danno, it's easy to see no one really gives a crap about your "war".

I'm definately taking advantage of these peoples desperate attempts to move player though. Since mid year I've aquired no less than around 27 free HD movies. 7 HD DVD when I bought an add-on, 10 more HD DVD when I bought a stand alone, 7 Blu-Ray disks when I bought a PS3, and just about every other week Amazon has been offering buy-one-get-one free on one of the two formats...right now it's HD DVD. I've taken advantage of those offers around 4 times. Needless to say I will have stacks of HD movies at Christmas, and most of them didn't cost me a thing. In the end though when both formats die out and folks are downloading HD flicks. I wont mind. I can enjoy them now, and as far as I know they wont quit working any time soon.

I've seen about half a dozen posts with the this same title. The only difference is that sometimes they say Blu-Ray and sometimes they say HD DVD in the title. They are stupid. The truth of the matter? HD DVD player outsold Blu-Ray over the Black Friday week-end. Is this saying they won the war? To someone simple minded probably, and that person would no doubt start a lame thread like Danno has. The sad truth of the matter though.... Where as HD DVD players moved around 50k units (Offering probably around 12 free HD movies) plain old regular DVD player moved around 400k units in that same period! :lol:

Danno, it's easy to see no one really gives a crap about your "war".

I'm definately taking advantage of these peoples desperate attempts to move player though. Since mid year I've aquired no less than around 27 free HD movies. 7 HD DVD when I bought an add-on, 10 more HD DVD when I bought a stand alone, 7 Blu-Ray disks when I bought a PS3, and just about every other week Amazon has been offering buy-one-get-one free on one of the two formats...right now it's HD DVD. I've taken advantage of those offers around 4 times. Needless to say I will have stacks of HD movies at Christmas, and most of them didn't cost me a thing. In the end though when both formats die out and folks are downloading HD flicks. I wont mind. I can enjoy them now, and as far as I know they wont quit working any time soon.

Are you going to complain to the mods about me again, since you're here insulting me, AGAIN?

Albert, Mitch, whomever else may be reading - ban this douche.

It's a technology story that is completely relevant to Modern Gaming consoles.

Are you talking current gen (PS3 / 360)?

I'm not sure how much of an affect it will really have if you are buying a system to play games on. The PS3 catalog is sorely lacking in must have titles compared to their competition.

It's a nice blu-ray player though, so I suppose that will help move some systems. I really don't think they are going to catch MS this time around though...at least not in this country.

Thanks for the PM Danno.

To be honest I could care less what lame names you call me in PMs (You kiss your mommy with that mouth?) and wouldn't waste my time trying to get you banned because of it!! You've got me confused with someone that cares about your nonsense :lol:

Thanks for the PM Danno.

To be honest I could care less what lame names you call me in PMs (You kiss your mommy with that mouth?) and wouldn't waste my time trying to get you banned because of it!! You've got me confused with someone that cares about your nonsense :lol:

Actually it was you that complained the last time this subject came up. And you did contact the mobs about it.

I have proof of that.

Rumors about WB going exclusive (on either side) have floated around since the initial launch of HD DVD. This is nothing new, and there's no new evidence today that wasn't there yesterday. It's true, what they decide may well push the format war in one direction or another, but don't hold your breath. And they sure as heck would not let such a bombshell slip before Christmas.