IGNORED

Jeff Minter discussion

Tezz

A lot of valid points in that video, in particular the way he describes his method of creating a game, or should I say evolves a game.

One thing that I have always admired about Jeff Minter is the way that he normally does things his way. If he has an idea and likes it, he'll do it, regardless of what the current vogue of gaming is. It's this kind of mentality that makes games fun and breaks new ground.

Space Giraffe is so weird... its Tempest 2000 on speed... ;) but he is dissappointed about the sales on xbox live! so i paid for it... simply because i had so much fun when i was a kid playing most of his vic-20 games (f.e. gridrunner) and what he has done in 3,5kb with the love for details and colours and sound fx...a real genius...

Space Giraffe is so weird... its Tempest 2000 on speed... ;) but he is dissappointed about the sales on xbox live! so i paid for it... simply because i had so much fun when i was a kid playing most of his vic-20 games (f.e. gridrunner) and what he has done in 3,5kb with the love for details and colours and sound fx...a real genius...

Unfortunately, Jeff's work is not appreciated by the larger gaming community. He is truly a talented individual when it comes to the graphics. Tempest 2000 is just a work of utter genius in my opinion. Space Giraffe looks awesome, but I don't have a 360 yet to enjoy it myself.

Glenn

Unfortunately, Jeff's work is not appreciated by the larger gaming community. He is truly a talented individual when it comes to the graphics. Tempest 2000 is just a work of utter genius in my opinion. Space Giraffe looks awesome, but I don't have a 360 yet to enjoy it myself.

Wish I still had my 360 to try this out. Although I'm tempted to get a jaguar just for T2K

T2K and AvP are worth keeping a Jag for. They are why I decided not to sell mine just yet.

If you go to the Llamasoft page, Jeff has a history section there. Been a while since he last updated it, but what is there is just excellent reading. The golden age of home computing really comes out in his story. Excellent read, IMHO.

Space Giraffe looks just excellent. It's a niche that's gonna confuse some people that don't appreciate the blending of graphics, music and game action he strives for. His response these days is unusual too. Reading his stuff over the years (postings, blog, comments, etc...) one would think the art trumps all. Maybe it does and he's just cranky...

All this talk of Mr Minter has inspired me to get out AoTMC again. See you all in a few weeks when I have pulled all my hair out :lol:

(I'm talking about the European version of AoTMC here, an absolute classic)

Edited by Pengwin

Wish I still had my 360 to try this out. Although I'm tempted to get a jaguar just for T2K

Neh, save your money and buy the PC version for a few pence from ebay

Hm... I never really enjoyed those games. Even the "good looking" Attack of the Mutant Camels was playable crap to me.

It's how the "ship" bangs when a collission occurs, and several other things...

In Tempest 2000 the only thing i like is/was the Music.

So, if someone wants a very good Tempest 2000 on the PC, with the original music, he may have a look at this one:

http://typhoon.kuto.de/index.html

I Think that AoTMC borrows too much from the home versions of 'Star Wars' (not the Atari/Domark version, the Parker brothers version, the one with the AT ATs)

Does it matter as long as it's a good game? emkay may not think it is, but he thinks Doom on the A8 is a good idea so that doesn't prove much. =-)

I wasn't slating AoTMC...I was saying that the two games were very similar (a bit like Encounter and Battlezone you could say)

At least Minter (or the Yakmeister) Knew how to use/program Atari's hardware...If he were an American He'd he up there with the likes of Neubauer, Crawford et al

Edited by carmel_andrews

I wasn't slating AoTMC...I was saying that the two games were very similar (a bit like Encounter and Battlezone you could say)

Even Jeff Minter admitted that the games were extremely similar. In fact I, if I remember correctly, he got the idea after a review of the Parker Brothers game said that the walkers looked like camels.

Err well,

which Jeff Minter programs ever made it to the A8 ?!? I only remember these:

- Attack of the Mutant Camels

- Gridrunner

- Hover Bovver

and the Colorsynthesizer. Were there any other titles ?!?

And yes, I hate all the A8 programs by Jeff Minter (as listed above). But I like Tempest 2000 and even Defender 2000 on the Jaguar... -Andreas Koch.

Return Of The Mutant Camels also made it to the A8, although it was known simply as Revenge II.

Although the C64 original was written by Jeff Minter, the port was done by Steven Riding, and the game was published by Mastertronic in the UK.