IGNORED

Intellivision ECS Power Supply

BassGuitari

I realize this has been gone over a thousand times, but the other threads and resources I've found have not really answered my question, probably because I'm a dumbass at electrical things.

I'm asking if the following universal power supply will work on my Intellivision ECS:

Input: 120V 60 Hz 16W

Output: 3,4,5,6,7.5,9,12V DC

Current: 800mA MAX

There is also a polarity switch...should the tip be positive or negative?

I also have a power supply from my Atari 1010 Cassette Drive (In: 120 VAC, 60Hz, 7.5Va....Out: 9VAC 500mA).

Will either of these work? There has been much discussion about it but it seems no real conclusion has been settled, and I just want to be sure before I accidentally fry my ECS's motherboard.

Thanks!

It calls for 10VAC at 1amp, both are a little short in current, but the DC one might work, polarity won't matter. I don't think either one would hurt it immediately, I would think they would be OK to test it, but I would look into getting a more suitable power supply if I were you.

EDIT:

I just checked my NES power brick, 9VAC at 1.3a, should work better than either if you happen to have one.

Edited by elliott

• 2 years later...

I'm glad somebody brought this up, because I haven't seen this information documented anywhere else.

Here is a picture of my ECS power supply and connector:

ecspower.jpgecsplug.jpg

I'm getting 10VAC output on the barrel (tip negative), but since it's AC output, the polarity shouldn't matter.

The connector is a standard coaxial power connector; I believe the dimensions are 5.0mm x 2.0mm (5mm outer diameter, 2mm inner diameter). The inner diameter is a guess on my part: I compared it to the connector for the Atari 800 power supply (CO17945), which uses a 5.0mm x 2.1mm connector, and while the ECS connector is the same outer diameter, the inner diameter is a bit smaller. The ECS connector won't fit into the 800, but the CO17945 connector will fit into an ECS, although it's a little loose. I've heard that some people have successfully used the CO17945 as a power supply for the ECS, in fact, although I've never tried this myself.

I got my ECS today, and here is a video of me unboxing it. Can anybody tell me what i may be missing (besides the adapter) and what else i may need to actually play any games with it. And can i just test it with any old game? What you see in the video is what came with it. What kind of cord do i need for the AUX port? Or is it even necessary?

Edited by rgw825

The AUX port was only used for connecting an Aquarius printer to the ECS. It's the same connector as a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, which makes me believe that it's just a simple three-wire serial interface: transmit, receive, and common ground. The tape in/out ports are only used for data storage to cassette tape, and there is also a 2.5mm "Remote" jack that I don't have any information on. But none of them are necessary for using the ECS for games; you should only need a suitable AC adapter. The ECS is compatible with regular Intellivision games as well (since it includes a cartridge passthrough); you shouldn't have to unplug it to play them.

Do you think about the Model 1 Genesis adapter might work?

Input: 120v AC 60hz 20w

Output: 10v DC 1.2A

That's DC output. The ECS requires AC. The Atari 800/1050 power supply looks like it would be a closer match.

In theory, that should depend on what the ECS does with the AC power internally. If it immediately shoves it into a full wave rectifier, never to be seen as AC again, a DC power source could work. I've done that with various devices, but never with an ECS.

Also in the above theoretical scenario, the power supply output polarity would be irrelevant.

[EDIT: I now see that the same basic statements were made earlier by another poster.]

Edited by BigO

The NES power supply does work with it. Just tested it. Not sure if it is good for the long term or not? I don't currently have any ECS games anyway. I should be getting 2 sealed copies in the mail soon. It will be tempting not to unseal them and play them. lol

If it works, I wouldn't expect it to have any negative long term consequences unless the voltage is too high and overheating a voltage regulator or such in the ECS. From what's been said here, I don't think you'll have issues.

Just in case anybody is wondering, the ECS has to be plugged in (the adapter) to be used as a passthrough. When i unplugged the adapter, it won't read any games. Maybe people already knew that but i thought i'd share.

But i have a question. I wonder if you could play those few Coleco games on your Intellivision II by using the ECS as a passthrough? I don't have any Coleco games to test with. It really don't matter since i have an Intellivision I now anyway. But was just curious anyway.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'll be needing to find an ECS power adapter...from what I've been reading and seeing on the internet, if I have (or find) a 10v 1.0 amp or close to that in a DC adapter that is the same size (5mmx2mm),

1. I won't fry my ECS

2. It will work.

Is that true? Universal DC adapters are quite a bit less expensive and AC to AC adapters are all but impossible to find. The only thing I'm concerned about is if I use an adapter that's plus or minus a volt or two I'll either immediately or over time damage my ECS. What should I do?

EDIT: I've seen some relatively inexpensive Genesis and NES adapters that output DC 9V 1.2A, as mentioned before. Does that work out OK?

Edited by zander21510

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'll be needing to find an ECS power adapter...from what I've been reading and seeing on the internet, if I have (or find) a 10v 1.0 amp or close to that in a DC adapter that is the same size (5mmx2mm),

1. I won't fry my ECS

2. It will work.

Is that true? Universal DC adapters are quite a bit less expensive and AC to AC adapters are all but impossible to find. The only thing I'm concerned about is if I use an adapter that's plus or minus a volt or two I'll either immediately or over time damage my ECS. What should I do?

EDIT: I've seen some relatively inexpensive Genesis and NES adapters that output DC 9V 1.2A, as mentioned before. Does that work out OK?

A DC adapter won't work. The output must be AC.

A DC adapter won't work. The output must be AC.

Well I've read that DC current would be fine if it has a rectifier inside...it's practically impossible to find a power adapter that outputs AC current.

Does anyone have an extra ECS power adapter?

EDIT: Okay..finally found some OEM NES adapters on eBay...9VAC 1.2A. So it looks like that will work OK. I'll post results in case someone else has the same question in the future.

Edited by zander21510

Well I've read that DC current would be fine if it has a rectifier inside...it's practically impossible to find a power adapter that outputs AC current.

Does anyone have an extra ECS power adapter?

EDIT: Okay..finally found some OEM NES adapters on eBay...9VAC 1.2A. So it looks like that will work OK. I'll post results in case someone else has the same question in the future.

I could be wrong in the specific case of the ECS, but in general it isn't a good idea to mix DC and AC power.

If anyone out there has tries using DC power with the ECS (successful or not), please reply.

• 1 year later...

Hello. I've spotted a reasonably priced ECS on ebay, but it doesn't have an adapter. The only ac/ac adapter I could find online is a 12v 1a adapter with a 5.5mm outside diameter and 2.1mm inside diameter. Is 5.5mm too big or will it maybe squeeze in? I would also like to know if the ECS will work with the Intellivision 1, or if it will only work with modification. Thanks.

Edited by RedStine

Hello. I've spotted a reasonably priced ECS on ebay, but it doesn't have an adapter. The only ac/ac adapter I could find online is a 12v 1a adapter with a 5.5mm outside diameter and 2.1mm inside diameter. Is 5.5mm too big or will it maybe squeeze in? I would also like to know if the ECS will work with the Intellivision 1, or if it will only work with modification. Thanks.

buy an nes adapter. (No it wont damage the ecs at all) yes it works on intv 1 with no modification.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

To resurrect an ancient thread, Jameco sells AC to AC adapters, 2.1 mm (female) and 5.5 mm (male) 9V 1A for $9.95 part#ACU090100 They don't have 10V.

It seems like this unit could work based on previous discussions. Anyone?

I've always wondered if it would be worthwhile to have replacements power supplies made in quantity (100? 1000?) to sell, for some of the weirder game systems demands.