IGNORED

I cant believe it...The Hyperscan lives on!

swlovinist

good hardware that was poorly marketed and supported.

Good hardware? So far you still haven't shown me any specs... There's a reason Mattel doesn't want you to know what's under the hood. My Genesis can do better than the Hyperscan. :roll:

Dude, there is a thing called google.

Do I have to spoonfeed everything.

The specs are well publicized on multiple sources on the internet. But, the most comprehensive source I found is:

http://www.geocities.com/hyperscansoftware/developer.html

...and personally I could care less what you think. The fact that a PS1 fanboy can't handle that his ancient system is obsolete compared to a 1 year old game console is sad.

Mattel is lame -- its a shame this hardware was crippled by bad games.

The PSone is 13 years old, obviously it costs next to nothing to manufacture something more powerful. With that said the Hyperscan is apparently just a bit better than an N64 and signficantly weaker than a Dreamcast.

I ordered one. What will Circuit City think, all of these getting bought in one day? Did anyone else take the survey and quote atariage as the place you heard about it?? I did.

I'll see what I can do with this thing when it gets here. Then I start messin around :)

Thanks for the CC link!!!!!!!!

Nathan

Well, I put "web search" because that's where I saw the low low price... glad to be able to pass it along. I remembered reading about this a long time ago and wanting to check it out and then saw this thread in between rounds of Toyshop Trouble.

Now I have to hope it shows up in the mail when I am home and the wife is not.

I ordered one. What will Circuit City think, all of these getting bought in one day? Did anyone else take the survey and quote atariage as the place you heard about it?? I did.

I'll see what I can do with this thing when it gets here. Then I start messin around :)

Nathan

...and personally I could care less what you think.

You obviously do care, or you'd quit your lame replies.

The fact that a PS1 fanboy can't handle that his ancient system is obsolete compared to a 1 year old game console is sad.

LOL, I've never owned a PlayStation (1, 2, PSP, or 3) in my life. In fact, I'm very anti-Sony. But the proof is in the pudding. Just look at the games.

(BTW, that link you provided... No 3D hardware listed. The PS1 wins just based on that. Shoot, the Jaguar wins based on that hardware. Thanks.)

Mattel is lame

At least we agree on that.

Edited by Gregory DG

HA! I actually got approval from my wife. She said she didn't care about the details, and $11 sounded okay to spend.

I should make this a household holiday, cause it happens SO rarely :)

Anyway, I ordered (thanks again) and also joined the forum over at the HS site. I am user number 2. Me and a moderator, last I checked. I'm looking forward to opening this thing up and playing. It uses the Sun+ cpu, which iirc, I wrote to Atari to use in a handheld. Who knows, I might hack the HS in a portable myself.

Nathan

Well, I put "web search" because that's where I saw the low low price... glad to be able to pass it along. I remembered reading about this a long time ago and wanting to check it out and then saw this thread in between rounds of Toyshop Trouble.

Now I have to hope it shows up in the mail when I am home and the wife is not.

Nathan

...and personally I could care less what you think.

You obviously do care, or you'd quit your lame replies.

The fact that a PS1 fanboy can't handle that his ancient system is obsolete compared to a 1 year old game console is sad.

LOL, I've never owned a PlayStation (1, 2, PSP, or 3) in my life. In fact, I'm very anti-Sony. But the proof is in the pudding. Just look at the games.

(BTW, that link you provided... No 3D hardware listed. The PS1 wins just based on that. Shoot, the Jaguar wins based on that hardware. Thanks.)

Mattel is lame

At least we agree on that.

I guess you can't read or write, either.

The OpenGL ES 1.0 Rendering Engine is clearly listed on the link I provided.

Its a unified architecture much like Intel Extreme or other motherboards with integrated 3D.

You're just ticked -- because I proved you were totally wrong. As other people have stated -- the HyperScan is somewhere around an N64 or Dreamcast. That proves your SuperNintendo/PS1 comments were wrong.

Edited by JagCD

HA! I actually got approval from my wife. She said she didn't care about the details, and $11 sounded okay to spend.

I should make this a household holiday, cause it happens SO rarely :)

Anyway, I ordered (thanks again) and also joined the forum over at the HS site. I am user number 2. Me and a moderator, last I checked. I'm looking forward to opening this thing up and playing. It uses the Sun+ cpu, which iirc, I wrote to Atari to use in a handheld. Who knows, I might hack the HS in a portable myself.

Nathan

Wow, they finally switched to a real forum. They were using a GeoCities Guestbook a while back. It was totally lame. I guess I'll finally join, too.

I dunno why, but I couldn't resist the $11 shipped price... *sigh*.. another console to add to the obscure console pile (or to sit in the closet forever :))

I wouldn't worry. Its a solid CD player for music, too.

The future homebrew stuff will probably extend it use quite a bit.

Trust me, it's not really the money that does you in, it's the space and the "ANOTHER VIDEO GAME?!" syndrome.

But if I just stash it in my magic closet, no one is the wiser. Some guys have affairs, I have hidden video game consoles.

It's hard to pick which is more shocking - anyone giving a shit about the Hyperscan or nathanallan having to get permission to spend $11.

:P :D

That's married life for ya :roll:

Nathan

It's hard to pick which is more shocking - anyone giving a shit about the Hyperscan or nathanallan having to get permission to spend $11.

Nathan

Believe me I know all about being married. ;) My wife would give me a doubtful look too. But it wouldn't be because of the price. It would be that I'm bringing "another system I don't need" into the house! :P

Nathan

Believe me I know all about being married. ;) My wife would give me a doubtful look too. But it wouldn't be because of the price. It would be that I'm bringing "another system I don't need" into the house! :P

Luckily, we (she) allotted me some shelf space for all my little toys that I end up with in the cabinets where the towels would normally go.

And yeah, I sneak in the occasional something. last thing I think was a Tandy computer (I tinker). It was more than the $11, too. She calls the consoles/computers/projects my "Sanchas."

nathan

Out of stock.....should have picked it up earlier today....

There is a handful of new systems on ebay right now, not too expensive. There are 4 for under $30 w/o shiping, and then a couple of crazies who want $60-$90 for one.

I was really tempted to go to wallyworld and target to see if they still had the controllers tonight, but I figure I'd better wait till the system actually gets here before I buy accessories for it.

Also, it looks like there's been some hardware info revealed at the HS forum. As far as the hardware goes, not bad at all. I just have to be patient, wait for it to get here.

Nathan

Don't silly married people know that video games are more important than women? Heck, around here, $11 flies right under the radar, as does the purchase of anything either of us collects.

Same here. My wife and i are both collectors, more people should probably clear up this kinda thing before getting married. The bedroom and about half the living room are devoted to her toys. I have a full toy room, a big chunk of the living room to store games, and the computer room with more games and toys for both of us.

If i had to keep all my stuff hidden in a closet, that'd be grounds for divorce. :)

And to keep this on topic, i can't believe people are actually willing to spend $11 on the Hyperscan. There's so much cooler stuff that can be bought for $11. :)

Don't silly married people know that video games are more important than women? Heck, around here, $11 flies right under the radar, as does the purchase of anything either of us collects.

Same here. My wife and i are both collectors, more people should probably clear up this kinda thing before getting married. The bedroom and about half the living room are devoted to her toys. I have a full toy room, a big chunk of the living room to store games, and the computer room with more games and toys for both of us.

If i had to keep all my stuff hidden in a closet, that'd be grounds for divorce. :)

And to keep this on topic, i can't believe people are actually willing to spend $11 on the Hyperscan. There's so much cooler stuff that can be bought for $11. :)

LOL. Honestly, the pack-in game sucks = That's why the console got a bad rep. Marvel Heros alone makes me proud to own the system -- I've been dying for an updated version of "Final Fight" for years, finally got one with Heros.

Think of it this way -- The HyperScan is a Linux-Based Game Console with ZERO copy protection /lockout chips. For $11, its a steal. Its like a GP2X for 20% the cost. Within a year, I'm pretty sure there will be tons of Emulators and Homebrew stuff for it.

Even by 2007 standards, the hardware is solid. Definitely not cutting edge, but about on par with an N64 with far more storage capability. Check out Wikipedia for links to all the HyperScan programming sites and forums......

I guess you can't read or write, either.

The OpenGL ES 1.0 Rendering Engine is clearly listed on the link I provided.

Its a unified architecture much like Intel Extreme or other motherboards with integrated 3D.

You're just ticked -- because I proved you were totally wrong. As other people have stated -- the HyperScan is somewhere around an N64 or Dreamcast. That proves your SuperNintendo/PS1 comments were wrong.

OpenGL can be implemented in software, too. SunPlus is a PowerVR licensee, so they could be using an onboard PowerVR variant; but those are generally targetted at low-power set-top boxes and mobile phones nowadays, so it's nothing to be bragging about.

Think of it this way -- The HyperScan is a Linux-Based Game Console with ZERO copy protection /lockout chips. For $11, its a steal. Its like a GP2X for 20% the cost. Within a year, I'm pretty sure there will be tons of Emulators and Homebrew stuff for it.

At 16 MB of RAM, it's extremely unlikely to be running Linux. (Did it ship with a written offer for the source code to the OS?)

Ignoring the fact that it's running an unspecified CPU architecture that likely doesn't even have a public GCC port, the hardware's anemic compared even to the Dreamcast. I can't see any good reason for the homebrew community at large to be interested.

Edited by Hackmann

At 16 MB of RAM, it's extremely unlikely to be running Linux. (Did it ship with a written offer for the source code to the OS?)

Ignoring the fact that it's running an unspecified CPU architecture that likely doesn't even have a public GCC port, the hardware's anemic compared even to the Dreamcast. I can't see any good reason for the homebrew community at large to be interested.

I'd think with 16 megs of RAM the BSDs would be just as unlikely. Who knows what it's actually running.

I looked at the specs, and there are some misunderstandings stated above. The ram is not fixed, it can be increased with soldering:

* DDR DRAM: 16 MB

* Supports 32-bit SDRAM data buses

The CPU is not unspecified, it is very specified and the specs are available. I think the company was giving developer samples out at one time:

http://www.sunplus.com/products/S+core.asp

As for an OS, after a ram upgrade it can surely run a Linux. I know an older version of slackware (tweaked for such a system) will run and with say, 32mb of ram it can run something like FluxBox. But the point is to not have yet another desktop kind of computer but a game machine.

So I tend to agree, you can have a GP2X-ish thing as long as you are willing to mod a good amount. And the USB feature of the HS lets it be either a host or device, so there is a memory boost there (if the OS supported it) by using a memory stick or something like that.

out of thebox it is not an impressive machine, but it is so hackable it seems done by intention and not money constraints. Whatever reason, it is what it is. It's hackable. The CPU manufacturer has the specs available for download and they actually want people to develop on it. The cd's it uses are not locked, so you can make games for it.

So, how is this not a steal?

Nathan