IGNORED

Duke Nukem Forever Teaser Trailer

Duke 4ever

Saw it. Duke himself looks terrible. He looks like a frickin' rubber man.

If you read the story on the 3D Realms site, they state that this video was created by some employees in their free time as a surprise for their Christmas party. They then decided to share it with the public, and stated that they are working on a more formal trailer. If true, then I could see the rendered bits (which is most of it) not being of supremely high quality. :)

..Al

this has been in development for how long?? So what 10-13 years ago, was this being developed for the 360? so they magically knew the hardware? Or was it developed for the PS1, took to long, so they reworked it for PS2, took too long, and now reworking it for 360. I really don't see how the same game can be in development for a system that didn't even exist back when it was first started, so either this game is going to look like a shitty N64 game or they had to recode from scratch, I would think it would be the recode from scratch, which I would think would restart the production time. So in reality, Forever has only been in development for the 360 for what, a couple years? See it's not that long.

Nah, what happens is that they start working on it with a current engine (Quake II was the first) then they see how great another engine is (Unreal Tournament) so they scrap the original. So they work on that for awhile then another great engine comes along and they switch to that... Then they decide to go with their own engine. Then back to another awesome engine... And on and on.

I think they're afraid that when the game comes out, the engine it uses will already be outdated. Which is true for practically every game. So they need to just bite the bullet and finish the game with whatever engine it's currently using.

this has been in development for how long?? So what 10-13 years ago, was this being developed for the 360? so they magically knew the hardware? Or was it developed for the PS1, took to long, so they reworked it for PS2, took too long, and now reworking it for 360. I really don't see how the same game can be in development for a system that didn't even exist back when it was first started, so either this game is going to look like a shitty N64 game or they had to recode from scratch, I would think it would be the recode from scratch, which I would think would restart the production time. So in reality, Forever has only been in development for the 360 for what, a couple years? See it's not that long.

They have changed engines and started over many times. The current engine can be ported to 360. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_nukem_forever

I have wanted this game to come out for forever. I will not believe it until it hits shelves. But once it does... I will have it. According to the wikipedia article the gameplay sequences in the video were from actual gameplay footage. The flying creature (I remember it from Duke3D) was awesome.

The game engine's only been changed twice. From Quake to Unreal then from Unreal to Unreal Tournament.

Of course, as they've hacked features in and revised old features, it's gotten so that the engine is UT in name only.

That's been Duke's big problem.

3D Realms is run by programmers, not businessmen. And George Broussard has been unwilling to freeze the feature set, because NOT implementing a technology interferes with his goal of making the best Duke Nukem game he can.

And ANY code is portable, provided you have the right compiler. You don't have to use a specific game engine to make games on the 360 instead of a PC. You might not make the most EFFICIENT use of the hardware(saym, if you ignore the GPU and put all the work ont he CPU), but that doesn't mean it can't be ported.

Ahh.... I remember building a computer SPECIFICALLY to play DKF when it came out.

Let's see,

Pentium II 350 processor? Check

STB nVidia TNT 16meg video card? (AGP even!) Check

8.5 gig hard drive? Check

128 meg of system memory? Check

8-speed CD-rom? Check

Oh, yeah, did I mention this was in 1998? :)

The game engine's only been changed twice.

According to Wikipedia (whom we all love and trust) it's been changed far more often than that. I highly doubt they'd still be using the UT1 engine today.

No, according to Wikipedia, it's still using Unreal, though almost all of it has been stripped out and recoded.

"Broussard has stated several times that the only parts of the Unreal engine that are still part of their code base are UnrealScript, the networking code, and the UnrealEd. Everything else (except the current physics engine) has been written from scratch by 3D Realms. "

They are still, technically, an Unreal game.

Wikipedia is ALMOST self-contradictory in this case. They quote Broussard's statement that none of Unreal is left except the scripting engine, networking code, and editor, then immediately following that with the statement that the game engine "contains parts of an early version of Unreal Engine 2.0" and phrase the following paragraph in such a way as to imply that's why Forever supports pixel shaders, normal mapping, and HDR lighting.

They also state that the Forever code was forked off from the main Unreal tree in 2001. I've seen this mentioned in official statements as well, with the logic being that the modifications 3D Realms had made weren't easily ported forward into the new revision of the engine.

They later say "On March 20, 2007, Scott Miller explained in an interview with YouGamers that they were still using the Unreal Engine, albeit a heavily modified version at this point" under the "Conflict with Take-Two" heading.

I'll take the lead developer and company owners' word over Wikipedia in this case even though they aren't really in conflict. Forever forked before Unreal 2 was finished.

Arguably, it's 3 changes, from Quake2 to Unreal to UT to Unreal2Beta. Also arguably, it's one, since the Unreal engine code is in constant update as far as developers are concerned.

The Doom3 engine switch was never more than a rumor, and the physics engine is different than the game engine(in fact, the physics engine was the last vestige of Unreal to be removed).

And in fact, Wikipedia says this, in an obfuscated manner. The Doom 3 rumor is tucked away under "Conflict with Take-Two" and the Karma physics engine mentioned under "Physics Engine Switch" is from the Unreal engine.

I'm just trying to figure out how George Broussard still has a job.
Well, as co-owner of the company, it's hard to off him.

I've never figured out how 3D Realms has remained in operation, though.

They must have some good investments somewhere.

Max Payne, Max Payne 2, and Prey (all of which are great games) helped I am sure.

Max Payne, Max Payne 2, and Prey (all of which are great games) helped I am sure.

Okay, but what did they do between Max Payne and Duke3D?

• 5 months later...