IGNORED

need sega (mega) cd info

sys_anomaly

I own a model 1 us ntsc genesis, and a model 1 us ntsc sega cd unit, and I wanted to purchase an ntsc japanese mega cd backup ram cart.

will there be any region problems preventing the save system from working with cd games? (I am aware the cartridge may not fit in the us slot, that is not a problem.)

There's two different model 1 Genesis systems, if when your system starts when any cartridge is inserted and you get a Sega copyright screen then your Genesis has the chip lockout (this is present with all systems that came packaged with Sonic the Hedgehog originally) if it does not then it doesn't and the cartridge should load (the Altered Beast systems from what I recall mostly do not have the chip lockout).

Added in edit: I don't know whether or not the Mega Drive backup RAM cart has a problem with US Genesis's due to a lockout chip or not. But I am aware that some Cartridges do. So check your Genesis.

Edited by DragonmasterDan

i've been thinking. the ram cart(all models) is not actually a game, because there is no pullup voltage on the cartridge pin(forget which), this is why the sega cd can load while the cart is plugged in. that being said, it is still a mystery if they bothered to region lock a bunch of sram chips.

Yeah, it's hard to say. I'm guessing you have the model 1 Genesis that does load the Sega screen at every game?