IGNORED

Delta Force Sniper

Fort Apocalypse

Fully functioning game. Very loosely based on the description of the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment - Delta (a.k.a. Delta Force) snipers as described at the bottom of p.116 of Inside Delta Force by Eric L. Haney (great book, btw).

Move the target off the screen to view the four sides of the building that you are sniping (white=front, red=building's left or sniper's right, black=back, green=building's right or sniper's left). You must quickly find the target (randomly placed on one of the sides) and shoot it, which is not easy. If you don't shoot the target in time, the target moves and your life meter decrements (this symbolizes the amount of time you have to terminate the target). If you shoot 2 targets you get to level 2, 4 for level 4, etc. Targets move more quickly in later levels. You also can move and then press the button to move quickly (unless your target is locked on, and then the fire button is only for firing).

It is a difficult game. Let me know what you think. Thanks to Michael for the randomization code!

Edited by Fort Apocalypse
  • Like 1

Scoring works in this version. Also window blinks before target appears (giving you some sense that you have time to shoot it). There are 2 strategies I've learned so far:

* Impatient - just keep using button to move quickly and shoot as quickly as you can (this is tough)

* Patient - wait on a side of the building for the target to appear (this may be best strategy in later levels)

Seems like something is missing though. It is an addictive game until about 5 or 6 levels into it. Maybe I'm just not making it hard enough fast enough? Maybe a single target is too easy? Maybe it needs an enemy other than time?

deltaforcesniper0.3.bas

deltaforcesniper0.3.bas.bin

Hoping to get some feedback on this one as I've kind of given up on the others for now until I get the desire/time to fix them up. When it gets harder to implement them than I have time to do anything significant with, I've been moving on (at least until I have time/inclination to fix them). For example, Insane Painter's painter sprites will take work, Ultimate Indy 500 is really tough to get dynamics right (in 4k- maybe should expand eventually), 2-player adventure needs to flicker between the ball for both players and needs a ton of work, etc. This one I knocked out in a few hours (with Michael's help).

Love the idea. But you're right, it needs more...

Suggestions:

Variable speed: Speed up the cursor until it gets close to the target, then slow it down slightly for more precision. It's how Sega made House of the Dead 3 work without a light gun.

Headshots: I found I was aiming right between where the eyes would be, even if it cost me more time. I think it's a human instinct. If you can kill the guy by shooting anywhere else, make a head shots only stage, where the bad guy has a vest.

Hostages: Right now, you only shoot the bad guy. But what if your goal on some stages was to protect a life? What if the bad guy was hunting down that life? It's a different kind of time limit.

Selectable variation: One bullet game: Make it count.

Selectable variation: Wind. Fight the elements - try to steady your hand.

Selectable variation: Stealth. Multiple enemies, and a missed shot speeds them up.

Edited by A Sprite

Variable speed: Speed up the cursor until it gets close to the target, then slow it down slightly for more precision. It's how Sega made House of the Dead 3 work without a light gun.

This is already part of the game I think. If you hold down the button the target goes faster. If you mean that moving in one direction for a long time should make it accelerate in that direction, I could do that. Try out holding down fire as you move and let me know if that is good enough or if you want it faster or you want it to accelerate as you move.

Headshots: I found I was aiming right between where the eyes would be, even if it cost me more time. I think it's a human instinct. If you can kill the guy by shooting anywhere else, make a head shots only stage, where the bad guy has a vest.

Head and body shots are allowed currently but not arms. I like the vest idea though. Will definite try that out (should be easy with player colors).

Hostages: Right now, you only shoot the bad guy. But what if your goal on some stages was to protect a life? What if the bad guy was hunting down that life? It's a different kind of time limit.

This definitely goes along with the theme. Will see what I can do (first version might be kind of clunky).

Selectable variation: One bullet game: Make it count.

Sounds great. Any suggestions for how to represent bullets left?

Selectable variation: Wind. Fight the elements - try to steady your hand.

Like this and also like the old Winter-games-like moving of the crosshairs to simulate heartbeat shakiness of hand.

Selectable variation: Stealth. Multiple enemies, and a missed shot speeds them up.

I like multiple enemies and the speed up idea. All good ideas! Thanks!

I think you should hook up an ST mouse, read the encoder sand use that to move the reticle.

You just need to split the DB 9 of the ST mouse with an adapter and run one encoder to player

1 driving controller connections and the other to the same on player two. Quake like aiming speed.

Just a thought.....I may actually solder up an adapter and see if I can get bB to read the encoders

and try something like this. I would have loved this for Missile Command on the 2600.

I think you should hook up an ST mouse, read the encoder sand use that to move the reticle.

You just need to split the DB 9 of the ST mouse with an adapter and run one encoder to player

1 driving controller connections and the other to the same on player two. Quake like aiming speed.

Just a thought.....I may actually solder up an adapter and see if I can get bB to read the encoders

and try something like this. I would have loved this for Missile Command on the 2600.

If it doesn't use the joy0left/right/down/up as normal that would limit the number of people that could play it, but I don't mind maintaining two versions of it (one for your customized controller) as long as you can provide the code for the controllers and it isn't too intrusive to the rest of the code. Or you could maintain the other version of the code and modify it as much as you want. It definitely sounds interesting and cool and I'd like to see a picture of it (and maybe a video) when you're done.

here's some new stuff as requested (but not everything yet):

* done - Variable speed: Speed up the cursor until it gets close to the target, then slow it down slightly for more precision. It's how Sega made House of the Dead 3 work without a light gun.

* done - level 2 and higher (but no jacket) - Headshots: I found I was aiming right between where the eyes would be, even if it cost me more time. I think it's a human instinct. If you can kill the guy by shooting anywhere else, make a head shots only stage, where the bad guy has a vest.

* done - level 3 and 6 - Selectable variation: One bullet game: Make it count.

* done - level 5 - 7 - Selectable variation: Wind. Fight the elements - try to steady your hand.

level 4 and up also have unsteady hand due to HB

deltaforcesniper0.5.bas

deltaforcesniper0.5.bas.bin

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I wanted to correct the level descriptions and provide a label:

* Level 1 - can shoot target in head or body.

* Level 2 - can only shoot target in head.

* Level 3 - only have one bullet to shoot each target. can only shoot target in head.

* Level 4 - wind: fight the elements - try to steady your hand. can only shoot target in head.

* Level 5 - hand is unsteady due to heartbeat. can only shoot target in head.

* Level 6 - wind. heartbeat. can only shoot target in head.

* Level 7 - wind. heartbeat. only have one bullet to shoot each target. can only shoot target in head.

post-7602-1241964108_thumb.jpg

post-7602-1241964117_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I expected it to be really simple, but it's awesome. Really looks/plays good.

One other idea, what if you could move up and down the buildings, and moving down to the bottom presented ground-level. Since you only have one other player sprite to work with, you could do a car, or someone running across the ground, instead of being in a window.

I expected it to be really simple, but it's awesome. Really looks/plays good.

One other idea, what if you could move up and down the buildings, and moving down to the bottom presented ground-level. Since you only have one other player sprite to work with, you could do a car, or someone running across the ground, instead of being in a window.

Thanks! :)

The vertical scrolling in bB is pretty smooth so it could be done for sure. Feel free to take that on if you want to- I might not get to it for a good while. If you were to do that it might require a directional arrow or something to tell you where to go unless you were only doing one side (color) of the building.

My thought for a next version of a shooter with similar target and movement was either something like a Crossbow-variant or a shooter atop a ship in the sea where you are trying to shoot down incoming planes and vessels. But I don't have much time for that either. :(

I had a version of Delta Force Sniper where there was the sniper along the bottom of the screen in addition to the target, but it didn't look realistic because of the speed at which the target must move. I never got to helicopters and peasants either as suggested although I thought those were great ideas.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

• 10 years later...

We'll be featuring Delta Force Sniper LIVE on this Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Bomb Game (2019 WIP Exclusive Premiere) by bluswimmer
- L.E.M. (2015) by Filippo Santellocco aka Philsan
- Delta Force Sniper (2008) by Fort Apocalypse
- DoReMe (2019 WIP) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc

[EDIT] UPDATED WITH ARCHIVED SHOW:

(Set video to 1080p60 for full quality!)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...