IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

Since GoSub 2 won't be made for a while (it uses the Superchip.), I need something to work on. So, I decided on either a game based on "Beneath the Planet of the Apes", or "Jack and the Beanstalk". The former would probably run into copyright issues with 20th Century Fox (remember the Futurama hack), while the latter doesn't have any copyright issues. So here's my idea, which would probably play like the Planet of the Apes prototype:

Level 1 - the village

We start the story off where Jack just traded his cow or whatever for some magic beans. 5 or so. Now, Jack has to make his way back to his house without running into ninjas who want to steal his magic beans. If a ninja touches you, you lose a bean. In this level, if you lose all five beans, the game ends.

Level 2 - up the beanstalk

This would play more like level 1-1 of SMB2, the part with the vines (if you don't take the shortcut). Jack climbs his way up the beanstalk avoiding deadly birds and such. From levels 2-4, the beans will be replaced with lives.

Level 3 - the giant's castle

Jack must avoid the castle guards whilst navigating the huge castle and find the magic harp and the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Level 4 - Down the beanstalk

Jack climbs down the beanstalk avoiding the same deadly birds and stuff, and brings the goose and harp and Jack and his mother live happily ever after.

Does this sound like a good idea for a 2600 game?

Well, I'd love to help out. My specialties are player movement routines, enemy AI, and playfield design.

I've hinted as much as I can that I wanna work on a game with a team without coming right out and trying to recruit people, but not sure if that is something you are interested in.

Well, I'd love to help out. My specialties are player movement routines, enemy AI, and playfield design.

I've hinted as much as I can that I wanna work on a game with a team without coming right out and trying to recruit people, but not sure if that is something you are interested in.

Sure, people can help out if they want to. This could be the bB team effort game the batari Basic forum has been talking about doing. It'd be an honor.

OK, since people aren't so keen on my ninjas, I'll replace them with trolls. Can anyone make a sprite that looks like a troll?

Yeah we learned in the 80's that Ninja's are bad about kidnapping the President and stuff like that, trolls are better :)

WP

OK, since people aren't so keen on my ninjas, I'll replace them with trolls. Can anyone make a sprite that looks like a troll?

Yeah we learned in the 80's that Ninja's are bad about kidnapping the President and stuff like that, trolls are better :)

WP

Another problem with ninjas is that you have to be a bad enough dude to defeat them.

Added a cut-scene between levels 1 & 2, even though I'm nowhere close to being done with designing levels for level 1, therefore, the only way to see the cutscene is by pressing reset, preferrably at the title screen. In the cut-scene (Jack just got home), Jack's mother throws the beans out the house window. Night falls, and up grows a beanstalk. The sun rises and then level 2 begins (I haven't done any programming for level 2 besides putting in the first screen's playfield.) Hope you like it. Also, can someone please design a one-color troll for use in this game?

jack2.bas.bin

jack2.bas

• 10 months later...