IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

Added a few more screens for level 1 and level 2. Level 2 is now playable (boring, but playable. I'll add some bird enemies soon.) To start at the beginning (level 1) at the title screen press fire. To start at level 2, at the title screen, press game reset. How many screens should be in each level?

jack3.bas.bin

jack3.bas

From the title screen to level 1 was showing a line total of more than 262, a simple drawscreen in the right place fixed that. I've added simple BGM to level 2 as well as a few new screens. I also need to compose or figure out some music to go with level 1. Any suggestions or compositions? Speaking of "Adventure," I was thinking along the lines of an Adventure-style layout for the giant's home (level 3), but that's still a ways off. I was thinking around 20 screens for each level.

jack5.bas.bin

jack5.bas

hey do you still need an artist? i have not done atari sprites but i would love to take a shot at it -- i have however been doing true pixel art for many many years and have worked on staff for other game(s) can i draw up the troll --- maybe if i can get dimensions of the sprite i can draw you up on asap. Holy crap jack and the beanstalk is a huge favorite of mine. I have a number of pictures saved and have stumbled across many two headed giants depicted in drawings of this story. anyway i would love to help

hey do you still need an artist? i have not done atari sprites but i would love to take a shot at it -- i have however been doing true pixel art for many many years and have worked on staff for other game(s) can i draw up the troll --- maybe if i can get dimensions of the sprite i can draw you up on asap. Holy crap jack and the beanstalk is a huge favorite of mine. I have a number of pictures saved and have stumbled across many two headed giants depicted in drawings of this story. anyway i would love to help

Sure, you can take a shot at designing a troll. Atari 2600 sprites can't be any wider than 8 pixels, and I'd like to keep the height of them no more than 10-12 pixels.

do you need walking animation like 2 frames still and legs apart arms flailing about? so far i drew up the troll standing still at a slight angle --did you want anything specific?

oh yeah and color use what do you want?

I am aware of atari using rows of color and the use of invisible pixels so i kept it in mind when i drew the green pants on him

Edited by graveltoes

Wanting to put some music in level 1, I've temporarily put in "Turkey In the Straw" in the key of D until I can think of something else, unless you like it in there. (The 2600 game Gopher uses it, too, though, it must be in the public domain.) I've also added a few screens to both levels.

remember: at the title screen:

fire for level 1

switch reset for level 2.

jack6.bas.bin

jack6.bas

Added a password system. At the title screen, press up then down. Passwords so far:

47 = infinite lives

28 = start on level 2

Level 4 will be level 2 reversed, you have to make your way down level 2 instead of making your way up it, but i haven't got that far yet. First I have to program the level 3 "Adventure"-style castle in, but before I do that, I have to finish programming levels 1 and 2. I guess everything has an order for me.

jack8.bas.bin

jack8.bas

Thank you.

Here's a new version.

+Added climbing animation for level 2

+Level 1 is finished, with 20 screens (878 bytes left, enough for a really cool title screen song, if anyone can make one, that is)

+New password: 66 - start at cutscene between levels 1 and 2.

+Did some minor changes to the cutscene between levels 1 and 2.

jack10.bas.bin

jack10.bas