IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

Chris,

Great job, the game is coming along nicely and is a blast.

Normally I am not all that wild about music in games but the title theme is good and this is a game that needs music throughout the gameplay, perhaps some of that "Greensleeves" middle English type music would really fit this game.

Keep up the good work.

Wp

I put in-game music in, but I wanted people to have the option of it not going all the time, so I put in an on and off option with the use of the left difficulty switch. A is on and B is off. The music for level 1 is now "Greensleeves" instead of "Turkey In the Straw." Thanks for all the kind words so far.

jack12.bas.bin

jack12.bas

Played the latest version all the way through and it's getting better all the time! :)

The beanstalks broken nature and more aggressive birds make it a challenge.

Can't wait to see what is in your mind for when you finally reach the giant's castle.

Music sounding great also and fits the game.

Wp

Post Scriptum:

Played it through again this morning, the difficulty seems about right.

Are those daggers that the trolls are holding?

Wp

Edited by sandmountainslim

They're supposed to be clubs, but you can have them be whatever you want them to be.

Update:

+ Added Jack to the title screen.

+ Added three new screens to level 2.

To access the password screen, press up then down at the title screen and put in "28" and then press "fire" to get to these latest screens.

jack15.bas.bin

jack15.bas

They're supposed to be clubs, but you can have them be whatever you want them to be.

Update:

+ Added Jack to the title screen.

+ Added three new screens to level 2.

To access the password screen, press up then down at the title screen and put in "28" and then press "fire" to get to these latest screens.

This is coming along great! Love the title screen. And the animated cutscene between levels 1 and 2... beautiful touch.

One minor suggestion... what if there was a score element that was based purely on your time to complete each screen? On the first level screens especially, sometimes I felt myself just hanging back, waiting for the troll to roam somewhere where he didn't have a very good chance of killing me. I thought it might be nice if I had something to compel me to go faster and take more risks, such as a bonus for quicker screen tranversal times.

Cheers,

Jarod.

Edited by jrok

This is coming along nicely. I like the title screen also.

The moving Jack and the music are great.

Wp

Post Scriptum:

The only problem I have had playing the game so far is occasionally in the first level Jack's hat will get hung up in the hedge-row and I have to wiggle to get him loose. I have no idea if this is even something that can be fixed (Non Programmer) and it doesn't affect gameplay that much.

Wp

Edited by sandmountainslim

Added three new screens for level 2 along with a few minor bug fixes.

Looking great!

Didn't get my hat hung in the hedgerow this time, was that one of the bug fixes?

I played it all the way thru then turned back and climbed back down and up the beanstalk to see the whole thing.

Great work.

Wp

Fixed a few more bugs (the sun should set in the cutscene now. Tell me if it doesn't.) Three more screens for level 2 added. Level 2 is finished! Next up: making a cutscene for between levels 2 & 3. Level 3 will be an "Adventure"-like castle in which you must find the goose that lays the golden egg and the magic harp before you can leave. To leave, you go to where you started, and the door will be open.

jack18.bas.bin

jack18.bas

Fixed a few more bugs (the sun should set in the cutscene now. Tell me if it doesn't.) Three more screens for level 2 added. Level 2 is finished! Next up: making a cutscene for between levels 2 & 3. Level 3 will be an "Adventure"-like castle in which you must find the goose that lays the golden egg and the magic harp before you can leave. To leave, you go to where you started, and the door will be open.

What you got in mind for a cutscene! A huge castle ?

I have been having my girlfriend playtest each version as you release them also. She agrees with me that this one's potential is great. I hope you do a cart release in the AA store for this game when finished. I believe I could snag it as a birthday gift if you do ;)

Wp

The last update of the day. My eye hurts (migraine) so I probably won't be working on this tonight unless i feel better. What I basically did was add a cutscene and programmed the castle rooms. If the castle is too small, I can add more to it if there's enough space left after I'm done with programming the level. The password for level 3 is "39". I'll add the castle guards and the items Jack must get later.

jack19.bas.bin

jack19.bas

I just realized something. Since player0 has to be all one color, either the castle guards have to be naked, or I need to figure out something else. So, I'm going to have guard dogs instead of guards. I need a dog sprite. Also, any suggestions or compositions for castle level music would be greatly appreciated. Here's a binary file which fixes a small bug I found in the castle level. Nothing much, really.

@sandmountainslim: I haven't changed the troll moving data, so you must be getting more careless.

jack20.bas.bin

jack20.bas

Well, I tried this too, and I think I spotted some errors:

1. On my first game, the cut scene between Level 1 and 2 didn't behave correctly. When the sun sank down, the sky didn't get dark, and when it rose again, it actually went too far, that is, it "shot through the roof" and reappeared again on the ground, with the final position being a bit above the ground, but not as high as it should be. On my second game, however, the cutscene behaved correctly. In my opinion, in that cutscene, the sun generally lowers and rises too quickly.

2. On Level 2, Jack doesn't start at the lower end of the beanstalk, but only 2-3 screens below the goal of the level. This behaviour is consistent.

2. On Level 2, Jack doesn't start at the lower end of the beanstalk, but only 2-3 screens below the goal of the level. This behaviour is consistent.

I could be wrong but I believe that Chris did that on purpose in this version to show us the newest levels.

I had the "sun rising twice" thing happen also.

Wp