IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

I walked the entire maze..level 3.. and mapped it out on paper..

when i did it this morning, as i was walking through a straight corrider, travelling north, the next screen

brought me back to the title screen..but as i re-walked it again ( a few minutes ago ), and mapping it out as i entered

a new screen, this seems to have gone away/fixed...

hope to see that dog sprite i sent ya..

Regards,

Paulie

:D

Well, I tried this too, and I think I spotted some errors:

1. On my first game, the cut scene between Level 1 and 2 didn't behave correctly. When the sun sank down, the sky didn't get dark, and when it rose again, it actually went too far, that is, it "shot through the roof" and reappeared again on the ground, with the final position being a bit above the ground, but not as high as it should be. On my second game, however, the cutscene behaved correctly. In my opinion, in that cutscene, the sun generally lowers and rises too quickly.

2. On Level 2, Jack doesn't start at the lower end of the beanstalk, but only 2-3 screens below the goal of the level. This behaviour is consistent.

These have been (hopefully) corrected. I don't know why #1 keeps being inconsistent with these mistakes, but #2 has definitely been fixed, I know that for sure. Keep me posted on problems with the cutscene between levels 1 and 2.

jack21.bas.bin

jack21.bas

OKAY, I played the game all the way to the 3rd level..

I didnt see any issues on any level, or on the cut scene, unless I`m blind

Ditto, just did the same.

Cutscene looks great this time.

I was unaware the jumping to later stages of the beanstalk level was a glitch, I thought he was doing that on purpose to show the new work on it. Shows how good of a playtester I am!

Wp

Tried this game for the first time. It's alright, but too easy I think. I don't know how far up the beanstalk goes, but I didn't die once and finally stopped playing and came here. Here's some things I notice:

- Beginning levels where you have to go through the maze avoiding the brown dude.. sometimes he moves so high up the screen his upperhalf is off the screen.. intentional or bug?

- Too easy.. all you need is a little patience and you can make it through without ever dying.

- Your lives on the bottom are one graphic (they resemble Mickey Mouse ears).. but when you get up the beanstalk it changes graphic.. is this intentional or bug?

- Your lives on the bottom are one graphic (they resemble Mickey Mouse ears).. but when you get up the beanstalk it changes graphic.. is this intentional or bug?

In the first level the "lives" are beans, the beans jack traded his cow for which the trolls (formerly ninja) are trying to steal, if they touch you they pull their dagger and take one bean. Afterwards they are regular lives like in any other game.

Wp

I just realized something. Since player0 has to be all one color, either the castle guards have to be naked, or I need to figure out something else. So, I'm going to have guard dogs instead of guards. I need a dog sprite. Also, any suggestions or compositions for castle level music would be greatly appreciated. Here's a binary file which fixes a small bug I found in the castle level. Nothing much, really.

@sandmountainslim: I haven't changed the troll moving data, so you must be getting more careless.

Let's get the negatives out of the way first.

I felt like I was playing dodge the mouse cursor. There was no suspension of disbelief when the enemies floated over walls, and generally ping ponged back and forth at random like paranoid caffeine addicts. Some form of order is needed to maintain the narrative - I don't expect Metal Gear Solid, but I have to at least understand my enemy's motives. Even if those motives are KILL! or GUARD! Could there be a small speed penalty if the guardians attempt to sneak through the walls? A pause for thought before attempting it?

The other trouble was that once I cleared the enemy, the rest of the level was dead time. What if the enemy gave chase to maintain the adrenaline to the next section of the map? Just for dramatic effect?

Unfortunately, I can't add much beyond this, due to this disease I have where I suck at the game. :ponder:

Edited by A Sprite

So basically is what you're saying is you want the enemy to be smarter? I redid the enemy logic for level 1 so the enemy is chasing you instead of moving randomly. The speed may seem slow at first, but IMO, you'll need the enemy to move this slow so you can move through the more maze-y screens.

jack22.bas.bin

jack22.bas

I just played this game a bit more and it's coming along nicely! Great work! :thumbsup:

Somehow (especially with the in-game music on) it remind's me a bit about Bit Corp games like Bobby is going Home.

I have to agree with yuppicide though, IMO the game is too easy as it is now. How about using NUSIZ for the enemy?

Like in the first 5 screens there's one enemy, in the next 5 two, then three and a big enemy in the last screens of level one?

Most of the screens in level one look good but a few look just a bit bland and are too easy.

I also think it would be more fun if you can score points in the game...

I really like this game but i think it would be a pity if it would end up too easy like GoSub (which i also like, it's just too easy IMO).

So basically is what you're saying is you want the enemy to be smarter? I redid the enemy logic for level 1 so the enemy is chasing you instead of moving randomly. The speed may seem slow at first, but IMO, you'll need the enemy to move this slow so you can move through the more maze-y screens.

DEFINATELY makes the game harder but now you can "lead" the trolls whereas you couldn't before.

I think I like the random trolls better. I may be in the minority though.

What does everyone think?

Wp

Edited by sandmountainslim

DEFINATELY makes the game harder but now you can "lead" the trolls whereas you couldn't before.

I think I like the random trolls better. I may be in the minority though.

What does everyone think?

Wp

Played it again and I am still in favour of the random moving trolls.

The Yuppicide Style Trolls just sorta lumber after you like those zombies in Resident Evil as if you have a Troll Magnet in your pocket.

Wp

No, apologies, I meant I wanted the enemy to look smarter, in the sense of sharing the same game world as the player. An example would be Dig Dug, where enemies that move through the ground instead of using the tunnels suffer a speed penalty and are only visible by their eyes.

The random movement itself is fine, it's the random element plus no interaction with the level itself that troubles me.

I'm about to try your latest with the newer, more intelligent enemies...my chase suggestion was only for after the player passed the enemy...as if the guards slapped their heads and realized you were getting away...or were trained in the martial arts by Evil Otto. More of a reward for a player than a serious chase, unless you made a wrong turn or two.

What you've done, and this fast, I'm in awe of.

I never would have thought of it, and I'm curious how well it works...

About to try now.

I LOVE IT!

I'm not sure it's for everyone, but it made the game more intense, felt like more was at stake, even though I died sooner. Suddenly the very thing I complained about was adding to the suspense.

Since there's a split opinion, is it possible to have both as game variations?

Edited by A Sprite

Both options for troll movement of level 1 are now available via the right difficulty switch. A is following, and B is random.

Good idea :)

Would you consider making the music play on both settings?

I think most people like the music with the game.

Great work so far.

Wp

The password for level 3 is 39. You don't have to play through all of it just to get there.

'

Thanks,

I finally gave up on the birds and went cheat code :)

The dogs look good and seem to be about right difficulty wise to me.

This game needs the term "Fe Fi Fo Fum" in it some where.

Wp

The password for level 3 is 39. You don't have to play through all of it just to get there.

'

Thanks,

I finally gave up on the birds and went cheat code :)

The dogs look good and seem to be about right difficulty wise to me.

This game needs the term "Fe Fi Fo Fum" in it some where.

Wp

What about in the title screen right after the title? The screen could shake like a giant's footsteps were drawing near, and then Jack could jump and run off the screen...cue demo mode of gameplay?