IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

gee, i didn't know people enjoyed my music so much. The default now is music on. to turn it off, press the left difficulty to A.

Also, i've added some guard dogs to level 3. Is level 3 too hard now? Also I need a harp and goose sprites.

okay, just played this all the way through again...

the music throughout lvl 1 & 2 sounds nice, but once i get into lvl 3, the music locks up..stays on 1 tune only

thought i`d let you know, unless its just a random glitch

PAulie

:D

okay, just played this all the way through again...

the music throughout lvl 1 & 2 sounds nice, but once i get into lvl 3, the music locks up..stays on 1 tune only

thought i`d let you know, unless its just a random glitch

PAulie

Music for level 3 hasn't been added yet because I don't know what to put there. If there was only a song called "The Castle Song" then I'd be all set.

I'll work on this some more today. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Goose and harp are in the game now. They are in random rooms, so every game they are in different rooms. Once you get them, the door in the starting room will open. But if you go through it now, the game freezes because I haven't programmed there yet.

jack25.bas.bin

jack25.bas

Goose and harp are in the game now. They are in random rooms, so every game they are in different rooms. Once you get them, the door in the starting room will open. But if you go through it now, the game freezes because I haven't programmed there yet.

Dogs are not moving in this one. Intentional?

Otherwise great work.

Wp

Music for level 3 hasn't been added yet because I don't know what to put there. If there was only a song called "The Castle Song" then I'd be all set.

Hmmm... how about "Castles in the air" by Don McLean?

Or "Stranger In My House" by Ronnie Milsap since Jack is an intruder in the giant's castle. :)

I vote for the original title screen.

Wp

Just updated logic for level 4, which is basically level 2 only you're going down instead of up. I don't have enough room left to make a seperate 30-screen beanstalk for going down unless i switch to using a 32k rom, which i personally don't want to do since a whole lot of space would be wasted. Next up, I'm going to add some castle music and perhaps the castle will be expanded if I have enough room. When that's done, I will put in an ending.

jack27.bas.bin

jack27.bas

Made a change to the castle rooms. They're wider so you have more room to go through to avoid the dogs. Also made a big change to level 4. I wondered how to make it more interesting than just falling down, so I added a wind that carries Jack up if he's not on a vine. The code for level 4 is "40." I also added an ending message, which you can activate in this version by simply pressing fire at the title screen (I'll change this in future versions.) So, do you like my changes?

jack29.bas.bin

jack29.bas

game is much better with the wider castle room..and level 4 is great. makes it so much harder with the upwind effect..

but i lost all my lives just on one screen,.if the player gets hit by the first of 3 birds, he loses a life, but the player

still remains in the lost life position and the birds still continue in thier general path..the player has no time to move, hence

another life lost, and by the time, the last of the 3 birds crosses the players path, 3 or maybe 4 lives are lost..frustrating, but

interesting. We do not want to make the game too easy..it needs re-play factor..

It looks great...

continue the awesome work..

I definitely need to learn programming for the 2600...but i would probably need my hand held learning this

I have so many ideas in my head for games..only if i knew programming and its limits..

Happy New Year to everyone here once again,

PAulie

i lost all my lives just on one screen,.if the player gets hit by the first of 3 birds, he loses a life, but the player

still remains in the lost life position and the birds still continue in thier general path..the player has no time to move, hence

another life lost, and by the time, the last of the 3 birds crosses the players path, 3 or maybe 4 lives are lost

I've reduced the number of birds from 3 to 1. Apparently, the NUSIZ0=$03 was making the birds start more towards the right of the screen. If i set it to NUSIZ0=$00, there's only one bird, and he starts more towards the left. Also, when you get hit, the bird is supposed to find a new y position to start from, I don't know why you were having that problem.

Keep reporting stuff you find wrong/improvements, I want this game to be as good as possible.

jack30.bas.bin

jack30.bas