IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

Just checked jack63.bin...

Hey, where is the 1st playfield in level 1? :D

Unfortunately the water melon bug is still in the game. I found out that it only happens when jack is down at the lowest part of the screen (in every screen on level 1)...

If i press fire when jack has moved up it works as expected.

There's also something wrong with the death sound, most of the times when jack dies it isn't played...

post-12950-1233023523_thumb.png

post-12950-1233023529_thumb.png

Edited by Impaler_26

OK, I think this time i have successfully found the problem. The problem I think was that the score was still going up because the watermelon was still touching Jack because the watermelon throwing border was different than Jack's border. So I changed the watermelon throwing border. Also, I made it so the shy troll now faces the way he's supposed to and also fixed the death sound.

jack64.bas.bin

jack64.bas

Fixed a few things.

First: Whenever you enter a castle room, you may have noticed that the dog is green for a frame before it goes to brown. I significantly reduced that (or in some cases, completely eliminated it.)

Second: If you go up in the first screen in level 4, you would have gone back to the castle. This too has been fixed.

(By the way, the fact that there are no bushes in the first screen of level 1 is intentional. I'll keep it that way until I put in the new screens at the last minute.)

jack65.bas.bin

jack65.bas

Would it be possible to add at least one additional type of enemy to level one, and maybe a few obstacles or bonus items? Maybe to add some more strategy to that level, you could make it possible to use the slingshot, but require the player to collect ammo for it. Since there is a time limit, I think this would work really well. If knocking out an enemy caused some sort of bonus item to appear randomly somewhere on the left half the of the screen, then the player would have to learn how to quickly travel forward and backward through the screens to collect ammo and items.

I still think you should do this.

After reading through a few versions of the story online, I'd say there is still a ton of stuff you could add. Besides that, you could add a level or two that the player unlocks by beating the game with a certain score, a few hidden mini-games, extend each level by a few screens, etc.

I don't like the giant room at all, and it doesn't fit the story at all. Collecting the singing harp should cause the giant to appear and chase you, cuz that's the way the story goes. The whole point of Jack going up the beanstalk, and his great reward, is the goose that lays golden eggs, so if you could find a way to work in some golden eggs, to the game or the goose and it's eggs in a minigame, that'd be good.

Edited by MausGames

I like the beanstalk level - going up. Very unique. I think even more could be done with having to fall off the screen onto a lower vine to keep climbing - that's a nice touch.

However, going back down just isn't working as well. The idea of the wind blowing you back up isn't using the most of that level's potential. I'd rather see something happen where you had to jump from section to section (as if the vine were falling apart), without plummeting to your death. Maybe as you descended, the leaves or sections of the vine would start breaking away, so you couldn't stay in any one place very long. Maybe even have sections where you had to "ride" the debris down a ways and then jump off to other sections.

Just some food for thought.

The idea of minigames is cool. I have an idea in mind for one. I really can't add anything to level 1 because I only have 4 bytes left in that bank. Maybe I should add a different beanstalk to level 4 to utilize the wind? I'll change the going up beanstalk in level 2 to utilize more of the falling down thing. How does everyone else feel about the giant's room?

Added a minigame where you throw watermelons at the troll. It's password # 66. I guess I can add stuff in level 1, but I don't want two flickering enemies in level 1 because I think it wouldn't look very good. Here's the # of free bytes left in each bank:

3,060 - title screen

4 - level 1

23 - level 2

5 - level 3

1720 - end/giant's room/game over

1326 - password system/minigame

4052 (empty) - nothing

1667 - "inline 6lives_statusbar.asm" is the only thing in this bank, yet it takes up more than 2k? Why is that?

jack66.bas.bin

jack66.bas

The whole point of Jack going up the beanstalk, and his great reward, is the goose that lays golden eggs, so if you could find a way to work in some golden eggs, to the game or the goose and it's eggs in a minigame, that'd be good.

Something inspired by Eggomania might be appropriate, though likely not so much fun to play with a joystick. Maybe paddles in the second port?

Edited by BigO

I didn't find the mini-game fun. The Troll on his 2nd move moved to far right side, where I couldn't move , and my shots couldnt reach.

Must be a bug, although I don't know why it would do this, I've never run into it during playtesting the minigame. Anyone else see this?

This sort of bug typically happens when not checking a boundary condition correctly.

An example in psuedocode

If (troll moves right)

{

PlayerXPos++;

If (PlayerXPos = 151)

{

PlayerXPos = 150

}

}

Something like this should be written as if (PlayerXPos >= 151). That way, if by some freak accident, PlayerXPos++ is called twice, then it will still work as it should.

Hope this is a helpful piece of info!

-John

Despite the fact that it shouldn't be doing this, I moved the troll's farthest x position to 139 and the farthest watermelon point to 140. The reason I am so confused as to why this is happening is this:

if player0x>110 then b=2

and this:

if b=2 then player0x=player0x-1 : d{1}=1

whereas d{1} controls whether the sprite is reflected or not. Wouldn't this make it so if the troll's x position is greater than 110, he should be moving left?

jack68.bas.bin

jack68.bas

Edited by atari2600land

I can't help you with that, but I downloaded your source code. It looks like you still have tons of cycles, variables and rom to use, and nothing in vblank. A few suggestions to add are: code to keep the watermelons out of the playfield, sounds for collecting, throwing, and hitting something with the watermelon, and bonus items that appear when you hit a troll. This would give the player a reason to go after watermelons even if he can easily past the troll without them, and gives them a reason to have to back track, learning the screens from left to right AND right to left.

I tried to make there be a bonus item appear after you hit a troll, but if it gets in the playfield a whole bunch of times before it finally lands in a place where there's no playfield, it flashes like crazy, trying to get to a place where there's no playfield. If you can think of a way to make it stop doing that, please tell me, otherwise I won't implement it.

jack69.bas