IGNORED

Atari Age's new flashback 2 drawing

chrisr

I wrote AA asking them if there was a way to enter the drawing without a purchase (as required by US law), but I didn't get an answer yet (I only sent it yesterday, so it's not like they are avoiding the question, they are probably busy), but I figured I'd get a quicker answer here. Anyone know if there is a way to enter the drawing without a purchase?

Chris

It disappeared somehow.

Edited by chrisr

nm; not worth it.

I wrote AA asking them if there was a way to enter the drawing without a purchase (as required by US law), but I didn't get an answer yet (I only sent it yesterday, so it's not like they are avoiding the question, they are probably busy), but I figured I'd get a quicker answer here. Anyone know if there is a way to enter the drawing without a purchase?

Chris

It disappeared somehow.

Edited by phaxda

I wrote AA asking them if there was a way to enter the drawing without a purchase (as required by US law)... Anyone know if there is a way to enter the drawing without a purchase?

Huh? The "law" you are referring to is an FCC regulation which forbids the broadcast advertising of contests or 'lotteries' (except legal ones run by regulated state commisions) on radio or television. Any contest in which a purchase is required to win cash or prizes is defined as a 'lottery' and is subject to this regulation. To escape this 'lottery' designation, radio and television promotions simply don't require you to buy anything to win ("no purchase necessary"), and they can then run their contest legally.

This regulation does not apply to print media. Albert is not advertising the AtariAge giveway on radio or television...he is thus not subject to FCC regulations and is not obligated to allow random idiots such as yourself to enter the drawing without making a purchase.

:roll:

Indeed...what an asswipe!

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

It's important to note that Atari-Age is still subject to state lottery laws (and other non-us lottery laws if the contest is open to them) that aren't based on FCC regulations and directly refer to the internet.

However, I don't think this counts as a lottery at all, and instead a promotion as the prize is by no means based off the pooled money from purchasers for eligability.

Obviously IANAL, and personally I think AA is in its right to hold the contest the way it is doing so, at least as far as the US is concerned.

I could be wrong.

It's important to note that Atari-Age is still subject to state lottery laws (and other non-us lottery laws if the contest is open to them) that aren't based on FCC regulations and directly refer to the internet.
'Law' and 'internet' don't belong in the same sentence. People on this site (and just about every other one out there) commit illegal acts every day (downloading ROMs, selling multi-carts and repros)...what's your point?

As far as state lottery laws are concerned, the guy wants to enter the contest for free...are you implying that in certain states lottery tickets are given away for free? Tell me where so I can get some. If the guy thinks Al is breaking state lottery laws and operating an illegal lottery, let him take it up in the Ohio state supreme court. Let him also sue every church hall who holds bingo on Thursday nights and charges $1 per bingo card to play. :roll:

However, I don't think this counts as a lottery at all, and instead a promotion as the prize is by no means based off the pooled money from purchasers for eligability.

No, prizes based off pooled money have nothing to do with it...legally, it is a type of lottery. Any contest that is open to the general public involving prizes where a consumer must purchase something to enter (a ticket, merchandise...whatever) and where there is an element of chance invloved in selecting winners (chosen at random or by tombola) is a lottery by definition. All that means is that Albert can't broadcast or advertise the contest on radio or television (which he is not) without getting into trouble with the FCC. He hasn't done this...in fact, he hasn't "advertised" it anywhere except on this very site. That being the case, you'd also be hard-pressed to say that this offer is open to the public in the first place.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

ROMs are free

Emulators are free

AtariAge forum is free

If you want a Flashback 2 so badly, go to eBay... you can get one for a measly $20.

My God... what else do people want?!? C'MON!!! Stop being so cheap!

No offense... this thread just makes me sick.

Edited by tremoloman2006